Has GM fixed their paint issues

Mikey P

Administrator
IMG_20170201_165419.jpg

If so, what year?

Chris A

Name
Chris
I've had a 98, 03, 04, 07, 09, 15, and 16 and never an issue. I'm not sure what causes it but mine have always lived in a garage

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I on the other hand have never seen a few year old unit without the paint issue.

I agree, see it all the time. Mostly see it on white, don't see many not white.

If I get a gm, hood wrap is a must apparently.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
I only see the problem on white vans and have been told it's a problem where there is heat and humidity...like Florida. Hoping the problem is fixed.

Name
Jeff T
The short answer NO..... I've got a 2016...... It's 4 months old, and showing signs already...... I rinse it off EVERY day with fresh water( it's winter here....).... So, must be a paint issue.....
I only see the problem on white vans and have been told it's a problem where there is heat and humidity...like Florida. Hoping the problem is fixed.
I've got a body shop right across the alley from me.... I chat with the owner 3-4 times a week.... He says white paint( because it has no pigment in it), will peel before any other color...... Something about it being the weakest color of paint..... Who knew.....

Reactions: Bob Pruitt

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
He says white paint( because it has no pigment in it), will peel before any other color...... Something about it being the weakest color of paint..... Who knew.....
I thought the opposite, that I should buy white because it holds up best to weather and time... so I didn't know. Glad to know before I buy next van though.

Name
Nate W.
I've only seen it on older Chevy's here.. 2013 and below.. Rock chips and such.. Then the roof also..

My friend who's a painter said he hates to work on them.. You need to remove all of it or it'll just do it again where you never removed it.. He recommended sand blasting it.. :headscratch:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I don't know if it's the paint or the clear coat protecting the paint. All of the white Ford's that I've owned have never had this problem. I had a white chevy pickup that I owned for about a year, and I traded it in before I saw any signs, so I'm not reliable on the answer. I just thought I'd chime in on FORD being the best. Yeah, I said it.

Reactions: Bob Savage

SamIam

Name
sam miller
My 2002 2010 2011 have not seen this mine are in a garage to.

But I do see it driving around town here sometimes because you guys said something.

No it's all I see thanks.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I'm afraid to wash my van. Every time I do I lose about 2"² of paint. I keep repainting the door myself. I had the hood and roof repainted 4 years ago and that is holding up great.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I don't know if it's the paint or the clear coat protecting the paint. All of the white Ford's that I've owned have never had this problem. I had a white chevy pickup that I owned for about a year, and I traded it in before I saw any signs, so I'm not reliable on the answer. I just thought I'd chime in on FORD being the best. Yeah, I said it.

No they just rot out in five years.

Reactions: Bruce Humphrey
Name
jack zerkie
I have a 04 express and looks like new my custy say oh another new van and I say nope it's 13 yrs old but my wife washes it every nite when I get home. How do I send a photo here from my phone ? jz.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
They supposedly identified and fixed the problem in 2014. The 80s paint failures were due to adopting water-based paints before they're really figured them out. The more recent (2003 on) problems are supposedly due to incompatible primer and paint coats from different manufacturers, along with a clear coat that isn't allowed to cure before the vans are shoved outside into the rain. Your pailure has nothing to do with whether, climate, washing... anything except an improper paint job.

If you get peeling under warranty, and are willing to punch it out with a dealer body shop, you might get it fixed for free. Since most dealerships have abandoned body work, it can be a long drive.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Most of ours happened to 03 through 08s. Hood and front of roof. Would have cost more to get a truck the 100 miles to a dealer paint shop than what it cost to pay for the repaint, so GM got off free.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
We expect a little more participation out of you. Pull your weight, goober.

I'm getting too old to pull my own weight.

When we get our trucks new, we sand them down and paint them purple. When we retire them, we paint them back to white. No problems that we have heard about with OUR paint jobs.

We did experiment with wrapping a few of them last year and are not impressed. We used 3 different companies and none of them met our standards. It turned out to be more trouble than it was worth.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Yes, that has been my experience also. I love the professional look of my wrap, but the installation was poor and it's not holding up well.

Back
Top Bottom