HELP impression(s) I didn't want to leave

cbcsi

Cleaned four wool area rugs Monday. HWE while spread out on my shop floor. Then I hung three of the rugs on the wall with nylon clamps that started out fabrication as tarp clamps and an S hook. Anyway the clamps are nylon and similar to the ratchety type interlink used to sell to keep a towel handy. Probably an inch wide. Well I put a clap about every foot on the 9' (short) side of the rug and hung it by these clips with S-Hooks to a piece of 1/2" pipe I had installed just for this purpose. The rug hung there drying almost two days before I took it down to roll it up. Now to my surprise when I took these beautiful new plastic clamps off I found the wool fibers held the impression of the clamp. I have 13 impressions about 1" x 3/4" that are not readily fluffing back out. Customer was expecting rugs to be delivered today. So I delivered them. She didn't seem to notice the impressions, but I told her about it and explained I would have taken them out except I noticed it too late. And I wouldn't have been able to bring her rugs back today. I said if they didn't fluff up with the normal vacuuming in a couple of days I would come back and take care of them for her.

Here is the question? what will take the carpet fiber and make it look like it hadn't been clamped? Steam?, Ice? Velvet card? Magic beans?
I would probably try a little steam and some type of comb.

Also suggest the right way to hang a rug for drying.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I'd be trying the steamer. If you don't have a steamer, wet a towel and use an iron max 30 seconds at a time and then gently groom.

Others will have more suggestions but that's what I'd do and if you had done it, when you found it, it would have been dry in probably 1/2 hr so the custy wouldn't have even had to know about it... file that away for next time. Steam dries quickly

John

cbcsi

Thanks guys. I did try grooming it when I found it, which improved it but I didn't have any steam handy. I'm glad to see that seems to be the right idea.

And I'm not a coon ass, though I know many of them I'm immigrated from Oklahoma. Go Sooners!!

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Yes steam... if you have a pipe already up, is it possible to hang the rug over the pipe half and half, We do this on our drying rack but it sounds like the pipe might be to close to the wall.

cbcsi

Yes steam... if you have a pipe already up, is it possible to hang the rug over the pipe half and half

It would have to be free of any brackets for me to hang it half and half. How do I get 12 ft or even 9 ft on a pipe and then hoist it 6 ft in the air with a wet carpet hanging over it and hang it on some brackets 10-12 ft apart. wouldn't the pipe sag to the ground. My pipe is electrical conduit, but even water pipe would have to have some kind of hangers or clips attaching it to the wall or ceiling more often than every 10-12 ft. for a 3x5 rug I'd manage it, but the 9 x 12???

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Why dont you dry them on the floor. You do not have to hang an oriental rug. Also if you dont have steam, use a damp white cotton terry cloth towel with an iron.

cbcsi

the problem with drying them on the floor is lack of floor space. I couldn't dry two 9x12 and 2 smaller rugs in the same room I have in my shop with other equipment sitting around.

cbcsi

The Tower is impressive. that would perfectly suit my needs. It won't fit my budget, but if anyone would care to make a donation to a BD CC I'll get you my shipping address.

Thanks

Cousin

Chad, a steamer is your best bet for this problem, as others have suggested.

But, being wool, there is a good chance you will end up with some filamentation (fuzzing).

May not be much, but in the right light it will show.

Pick up a cheap battery beard trimmer (I use a Remington) and just trim that fuzz away.

Job done :D

M

rick imby

Name
Rick
If you have an OP machine it will usually fluff up the compression marks. It works great on rugs, they want to move a little bit but it won't bind an wrap up the edges.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom