Help with this tile job

I did this one yesterday. The customer said the floor was dirty and spotty. I just thought she meant the floor was dirty. I sold her on the color seal. We cleaned it good and it came out great, then set fans, went to eat lunch, came back and sealed it. There is always a haze so we mist some water or neutral cleaner, scrub with a red pad, and then use cotton bonnets to pick up haze. After buffing I noticed the floor looked off. There appeared to be a wax on the tile that has worn off over time. The customer said it was like this before we came out. I really don't see anything else we can do but apply some finish to the tile. I told her that may be the only solution and down the road she would need to have it stripped and the color seal re-done. I need some advice on this!

Here is the before. Do you notice any shiny spots on the floor? I just see dirty grout.

IMAG0662.jpg

Here is an after shot. Notice the shiny spots all over the place.
IMAG0664.jpg

Another after

IMAG0667.jpg

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
I've run into a couple that looked like that. Each time, it was leftover finish that someone shouldn't have put on. It can be a nightmare getting the shiny spots off. Finding the right stripper is key.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
There appeared to be a wax on the tile that has worn off over time. The customer said it was like this before we came out. I really don't see anything else we can do but apply some finish to the tile. I told her that may be the only solution and down the road she would need to have it stripped and the color seal re-done. I need some advice on this!

okkkk wait a sec....did you see the blotchy shiny spots BEFORE you color sealed it????

if so then.....and i know i bust your balls at times...but ..........

YOUR DUMB ASS SHOULD HAVE STOPPED RIGHT THEN....AND EITHER TRY SOMETHING NEW/DIFFERENT TO FIX IT ORFOOKING WALKED!!!!!!!!!!!

so now, you charged her what ever to COLOR SEAL (so i imagine its pricey) and didnt fix her problem...

AND NOW YOU MADE IT WORSE!!!!!!

and you have the balls to tell her to bad maybe next time pay some extra $$$$$ to fix it....

cuz color seal aint just like using a sharpy to touch it up.....

shhheeeeeeshhhhh i knew something like this was going to come up and bite you in the ass

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Please stop using your smart phone to take pics and vids of your cleaning. Buy a decent camera @ Best Buy it doesn't cost that much and it is way more professional, actually Walmart is better since they have dress/sneaker black shoes for $20 a pair for the hard working positive attitude converse helper. :idea:

Wandslinger

Name
Tom Meyer
Geez Daniel, what a bunch excellent advice from some of these tools on the board. Anyways, check out photo number 2. From the angle you have, it shows roughly two squares by five squares of actual shiny tile (top ten). On the right column, compare the second tile with the third. The third you just have to rotate to the right 90 degrees. Also the two bottom ones are the same. My opinion, it's the tile.

Tom Meyer said:
Geez Daniel, what a bunch excellent advice from some of these tools on the board. Anyways, check out photo number 2. From the angle you have, it shows roughly two squares by five squares of actual shiny tile (top ten). On the right column, compare the second tile with the third. The third you just have to rotate to the right 90 degrees. Also the two bottom ones are the same. My opinion, it's the tile.

Yes agreed and Doug I didn't see any problems with wax residue or shinny spots. The customer said it was there before I cleaned the floor but I didn't notice it maybe cuz the floor was dirty. I inspected everything real good, measured, and checked the grout for wax or sealers and there was no wax in the grout. I guess it's a problem or defect in the tile.

Anyways should I just tell her that's the way it's going to be or would you put finish on it?

I told her I did not recommend applying finish to a floor that has been color sealed.

danbrown

This type of tile has both matte and shiny portions to it.

Your real issues lie in the fact that there is color seal residue left in the lower parts of the tiles. Go in there with a box of Magic Erasers (the extra power ones) and you will solve your problem.

kingjoelking

Supportive Member
your first picture is taken in a shadow so you cant see anything. your other pictures are taken with the light reflecting so you can actually see the issue.

1) why do you keep suggesting to your customers that you will put a topical finish on there ceramic tile? That is lazy shit work that will only cause more problems down the road.

2) if you allready think it has a topical finish on it. Why would you suggest putting a different one over it with out removing the other finish first.

3) Dont you have any stripper on your truck to test and see if it is actually a textured worn out ceramic tile or if you can actually strip off the finish that you think may be there?

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
ok lemme start over...

I was assuming that you would know or could figure out its the tile...cuz that was my 1st thought....buuuuttttt you didnt bring it up soooo

2nd....you have a phone/camera that allows you to see the shot you took....PREVIEW IT!!!!!!

3rd...dont ever ever put a topical on a ceramic floor.....

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
danbrown said:
This type of tile has both matte and shiny portions to it.

Your real issues lie in the fact that there is color seal residue left in the lower parts of the tiles. Go in there with a box of Magic Erasers (the extra power ones) and you will solve your problem.

I think this might work, just try it writhe magic eraser wet first and dry only if you have to.

And as always test in an inconspicuous area to make sure you don't make your mistake a nightmare.

RickL

I was thinking along the same line as Mike and Dan Brown as a possability. I would take, along with the Magic Eraser, a can of acetone, glove up pour some on a rag and try and clean it.
I run into this all the time at commercial accts where they have a lot of vct and a a maint staff. They buy a cheaper dull tile then someone in power decides they want it to shine so they put vct on it, for homeowners it's mop and glow. But I've always been able to see it or
catch it by testing, both of which you did. So that's why i would go with the above first.
Good luck.

chrissalter

Ive cleaned this type of tile before the shine is meant to be there. did you try removing one of the shine spots? Did you guy back and inspect the troubled areas. they look uniform to me. If its not uniform its mop'n'blow and you will be re-colorsealing those areas after you try to remove that crap. Try some goo gone professional on a rag without touching the colorsealed grout you may still be able to be a hero.

I called and offered to attempt to remove the shinny spots by hand, but the customer said she is fine with the floor. I explained that I thought I could get them out but there would be a modest additional charge to do so and she said she was happy with the floor. I told her if she changed her mind to call me.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
modest charge :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

are you serious????

ok anyone else here fine with addtional money on this??

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
It looks fine.

That is the way the tiles come from the factory.

If you would have kept your mouth shut, the cutomer would have thought your a hero.

At least I'm not the only owner op that over thinks every job :lol:

floorguy said:

are you serious????

Yea she paid me 800 to clean and seal her floor.

Not hand scrub shinny spots off that could not even be seen until after the job was finished.

I was only going to charge 150 for the return visit.

I don't work for free Doug and I did nothing wrong.

And she is happy.

Name
Lee Stockwell
The random "shiney areas" are just characteristics of this tile from the factory. You can't change them. If you had tested ONE tile you would have confirmed this.

You were fortunate to get this education from a tolerant customer. Your offers to apply finish were alarming.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
danielc said:
floorguy said:

are you serious????

Yea she paid me 800 to clean and seal her floor.

Not hand scrub shinny spots off that could not even be seen until after the job was finished.

I was only going to charge 150 for the return visit.

I don't work for free Doug and I did nothing wrong.

And she is happy.

I didnt say to work for free....

Did you agree to clean, seal, etc, etc???

Doesnt matter if you have to get on your hands and knees or not....

if you thought you might have to...then

A. charge for it
B. give them an option to pay extra, if its needed, or to be happy with the result.....AT THE BEGINNING

it is pressing bait and switch......"ohhhh you wanted it this clean...welllll thatll be an extra blah blah" kinda like "ohhhh you wanted prespray on that carpet??? well it is kinda sorta clean."

when i know i have to do extra stuff, wether it be a 1st time custy or a long established one....the "extra" stuff to do...is told up front... "hey Mr johnson...we been doing this for x amount of mths...this time i think it needs this...but it will cost this....should we do it???" "no?? are you sure??? ok but you will have this result.."

you can run your business anyway you want.....and charge "EXPERT" prices...and as on this job....hope to god you didnt screw it up.....

and then when you come on the board and ask about it......YOU BETTER BE DAMN SURE YOU HAVE YOUR BIG BOY PANTIES ON....

we all get into things maybe we shouldnt have..for a buck.......but you better have a little more meek attitude about it when people call you on your methods...

as we have all said on this matter.........floor finish and/or topical sealent (spin it however you want) on a CERAMIC tile job..... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

danbrown

Sure its fine except for the excessive Malibu Sand colored residue left in all the tiles that the home owner will never be able to remove :roll:

On a final note, there is never a need to put a topical on a ceramic or porcelain installation in a residential setting, ever.

danbrown said:
Sure its fine except for the excessive Malibu Sand colored residue left in all the tiles that the home owner will never be able to remove :roll:

On a final note, there is never a need to put a topical on a ceramic or porcelain installation in a residential setting, ever.

What makes you think there is color seal residue all over the tile seeing as I have done plenty of these jobs, used a new towel for just about every line, and post scrubbed and buffed. I guess you see something I don't.

S

sam miller

I think Danbrowns looking at the last photo were it appears to have color seal on the tile, the large middle pic with lots of shiny spots he sugeesting its 2 different thinks

a pattern thats there already and some tiles near the wall with a little excess color seal.

If its not the case its a optical illusion from a bad camera photo.

either way if she's happy God Bless You!

either way theres probobly now way to take out the shiny spots its part of the tile if it were excess colorseal then you cold use a magic pen or whatever.

Its actually a good thing you didnt go back for more money because it wont come out! I've seen Jimmy naked

God this thread is making me tired.

If all else fails re read what people are saying.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
It could be that they are seeings some grout on tiles left over from the install.

I don't know how you could think that is floor finish on the tile. If that was the case, it would be worn down in traffic paterens.

danbrown

Here is an example where we had used Jamocha on a light colored floor. The only thing that would remove the residue leftover was a one jet tool at 1kpsi. The cimex and scrubbing had no effect on it. This tile just liked to hold on to the haze.
This haze was from a dark color sealer. Now imagine what it would look like if the color sealer was a close match to the tile color like yours....

After spending hours with the raptor tool we were wrapping up and I was still unsatisfied. It just so happened that I had a magic eraser in my kit and decided to try that instead of breaking everything out again. It worked fast and completely, and erasers have been a stocked part of my arsenal ever since. I took these photos over 5 years ago.

uncleanable-tile.jpg

color-sealing-before-4.jpg

color-sealing-after-4.jpg

Cool but it's really never been a problem and I have some really good before and after pics.

The color was taupe twist. If you look close, it has more of a grayish tint.

Good advice though!

Back
Top Bottom