Help with Water Treatment for Well Water?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I just bought a new home on well water. The previous owner was paying around $1000.00 a year for water treatment rental (RO on the kitchen sink and a softener that also chlorinates the water) I had them pull out there equipment thinking I could buy equipment for less the a year of rental.
We plan to buy drinking and cooking water for now, so RO is not needed. I bought a water test kit from Home Depot. The water tested fine other than being hard (around 250 PPM). It has some sulfur and iron. The County is coming tomorrow to test for bacteria and nitrates
My question is will a standard water softener remove enough minerals to safely use it in truckmounts?
Most of the water softeners I looked at only remove around 100 PPM. That leaves 150 PPM hard water. Can I daisy chair two water softeners to remove more minerals? The guy at the county said some calcium is beneficial in residential pluming because if prevents corrosion and stops heavy metals from binding with the water.
Is there a maximum PPM water hardness recommended by truckmount and chemical manufactures?

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
I'm looking to tear out my ro maker. Apparently it's bad for the body. Anybody know anything about saltless water softeners?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Thanks Rickard. It’s a 100 year old farm house so, the place is a ton of work. I’ll post some pics as soon as we get of most of the boxes cleared out. I’m pleased how hardwood turned out. The Douglus Fur looks pretty sharp after $400.00 in sandpaper taking off the old linseed finish.
I’m propably over thinking the water out here. I’m just going to install a water softener for now. Our softened well water will be about as soft as Lawrence, Topeka water and way softer than most of the small towns. I just looked and Eudora City Water is 370 PPM.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Mike,

We are on a well, no big deal. Get the softener and make sure you add a whole house filter, get the biggest one you can. Won't have to change it as often. Don't be a dumb shit like me, put the filter in a very easy place to get to! If I could do it over I'd get one like below(link). Sounds like a cool house.

http://wholehousefilter.org/what-is-a-2-stage-filter/

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Thanks Cooper. That's a Good Idea. Do you install the 2 stage filter before or after the water softener?

I called GE Appliance with some questions. They were very helpful. Apparently, I was confusing Grains with Parts per Million when I was looking at water softeners.
1 Grain = 17.1 PPM. A water softener that removes 100 grains will remove 1700 PPM.
I guess you have to add 5 grains for every 1 PPM of Iron in the water.

I’m really happy with the house even though it is a ton of work. 5bd, 2 bath / 2000 sq ft of finished space + 600 sqft shop on 7 Acers for 129,500 is a hell of a deal around here. I’m post some more photos on a new thread later. Here is one of the Dining room floor I refinished:
IMG_3089.jpg

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Do you install the 2 stage filter before or after the water softener? Yes, before.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Thanks Cooper. That's a Good Idea. Do you install the 2 stage filter before or after the water softener?

I called GE Appliance with some questions. They were very helpful. Apparently, I was confusing Grains with Parts per Million when I was looking at water softeners.
1 Grain = 17.1 PPM. A water softener that removes 100 grains will remove 1700 PPM.
I guess you have to add 5 grains for every 1 PPM of Iron in the water.

I’m really happy with the house even though it is a ton of work. 5bd, 2 bath / 2000 sq ft of finished space + 600 sqft shop on 7 Acers for 129,500 is a hell of a deal around here. I’m post some more photos on a new thread later. Here is one of the Dining room floor I refinished:
IMG_3089.jpg

what did they do, tale out a wall where that patch is and cover it with carpet or vinyl??

..l.T.A.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Yes Larry, The house was built in stages. The Dnrm / kitchen was the original house with basement. They doubled the size adding on what is now two downstairs bedrooms and bathroom then added a second floor. The Front Lvrm and back porch were added in the 50’s. The Kitchen Floor is rough because of past water damage. The Dnrm / Kitchen has Tongue and Grove woodwork on the walls and ceiling and kind of has a log cabin vibe. We just installed an island with a stainless counter top to brighten the room up. We patched in some of the other sections of wall but left that plank thinking I could put in some kind of inlay down the road.

Last edited:

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I like to use the old school oil based gloss with the amber hue. I don’t even stain the wood. Oil based is twice the solids and half the price of water based. It’s a natural urethane and very easy to work with unlike other oil based products that you have to stir every minute or it will look like crap. Once you go to Simi gloss, satin or other colors oil based products become much harder to work with

24861633_26058070_trimmed.jpg

Buck1955

Name
John
Just have a local H2o company come out and test it. Buy the equipment, most homes on a well use hard water at the kitchen and outside hose bibs so you may have to plumb the bib so thats it's softened water.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Looks great Mike. Hell my house is fours years old and there is NO way it will make it to 100. They just don't build them as well as they did back then. 7-acres, now you need some horses or buffalo or llamas or goats! :icon_razz:

Congrats!

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I just don’t trust the water treatment companies. The county’s water test found coliform bacteria. I’m going to shock treat the well, seal up the cap better install duel filter and 40,000 grain softener and retest in a few weeks. If there is still bacteria I may look in to a UV treatment light.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom