Hg setting

Walt

Most blowers have ratings of 15 or 16. But I see some manufactures running them higher than that. I'm sure there is a margin of safety but how far can you go? Is single limitation heat? Or is it stress on the shaft? Should (or could) the blower come with a temp gauge?

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
There is a margin of error there. I have no idea what the true limit is, because I've never gone past it and had problems as a result, but I've had customers come in with their reliefs completely shut down so that they can't function at all and have no problems. I do not recommend this, but I can tell you from experience that 1 or 2 inches isn't going to create problems from what I've seen. And I've seen a lot in 13 years of manufacturing systems and 6 more of selling them prior to manufacturing.

So, I get a little tickled when someone says, "This here blower generates 2" whole inches more lift than others do.".

On a similar note is blower RPM. I built systems for years that have over- driven blowers. They were spinning at 15% faster than the engine and the engine was typically turning at 3,400 to 3,450 RPM. If you do the calculations, that's in the neighborhood of 4,000 RPM. I also built one at 20% over- driven, just to see how it would do and it held up well, too.

The grief I caught about that from other manufacturers about it was pretty intense at times. But the truth is that:

1.) They had noticeably better vacuum than comparable systems that weren't over- driven.

2.) There was no noticeable increase in blower failure, based upon my observations over a 6- year period of building them from 1996 to 2001. (And in truth, I still "observe" them, as they come in for repairs. I've seen the old Hammers and PowerPaks come in recently, with the second and third engines on them, but with the original blower.)

So, while I caught grief from some competitors about it, my customers loved the idea, because they had killer vacuum, compared to what comparable systems did. And it cost them nothing extra... being done by simply using a larger pulley on the engine than the blower.

It was "standard issue" on the early Hammers and the PowerPak systems.

In speaking with a couple of the blower representatives I've dealt with, they state that blowers are built for 30,000 hours of continuous, 24 hour a day use, when taken care of properly. And with that in mind, the idea that we'll see them go bad in intermittent use within 2,500 to 5,000 hours is unlikely at best, if they are properly maintained, with regard to lubrication, not being run too hot, not being subject to excessive vacuum levels and being filtered properly.

(Over- driven blowers, BTW, were provided with 40 wt. ND oil, instead of the usual 30 wt. Blower manuals back then said to use 40 when heat levels were anticipated beyond a certain point and 30 wt. otherwise, so we used 40 on the over- driven blowers just to add better protection.)

So, "Yes", there is a "safety margin" there. Or, as they refer to it, a "work factor".

Duane

Farenheit251

I've abused the heck out of the blower on my Accellerater 2545 for over 2700 hours. I think they are tougher than people give them credit for. I always wondered if the 16 hg was for continuous load as we pick up the wand and let it breathe some occasionally.

I think the problems come into play with the couplers and belts. A lot of machines already have problems at lower settings. At one point the keyway in my blower shaft looked like the Grand Canyon. John H peeled it like an apple down a 1/8" and we put a sleeve on it.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
The WM Pro1200 has a high vac option where they run the Roots blower at 20" but they cool it with a stream of water. I don't have that option on my Pro1200 but this year I have been running my engine at 2000 rpms instead of the factory 1500 and increased the lift to 17". It gives me more heat with the blower heat exchanger. The blower and clutch and belts are holding up well (with over 6000 hours) but lately I've been replacing machine hoses and solution lines that have been popping with the high heat and pressure. This week the factory radiator popped on the Chevy Express so I put in a heavy duty one. Been running the engine nice and cool/ 8)

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Walt;

Heat buildup is the biggest factor.

The new Sutorbilt MR series isolates the blower lobe heat from the gearbox.
4mrblwr.jpg

This enables them to operate at higher lift levels. (We operate them @ 17" hg.)

And, you should only use synthetic lube in the gearbox.

Larry

Back
Top Bottom