How do I adjust the throttle pods on my cds?

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
HI,
I have a 1999 CDS 4.8. I just had one of the heat exchangers replaced and at that time my mechanic adjusted the RPMs on the throttle pods. The machine ended up running a bit to high at 1750 to about 2000 rpm. I called my mechanic who is in a different town and he told me to back off the pod on the right (as I'm facing the front of the truck) I found out that backing it off is turning the set screw clockwise, that was counter intuitive. 1500 rpm is where it should be according to him. Then I had an issue with the RPMs going up as soon as the vacuum hose was connected.So I tweaked the other pod a little. Right now I think I got the machine running pretty well but I don't understand how the vacuum system works.

So, can someone please explain to me what those pods do and how to adjust them? The right pod sets the RPMs . What does the left pod do? How do you adjust that? Do the cables ever need to be adjusted or lubed? How can I tell if one or both of the pods are defective? Do they wear out? Does the vacuum hose need to be connected to the waste tank when making the adjustments? etc.

Name
Brad Gouveia
There are 2 pods one to set the rpms and one is to set then rpms under load. Something like, I forget which one does what or what way to crank the pods. I think counter clock wise increases the rpms (I could be wrong it has been a bit). Fire it up and turn them and see what the rpms do.

Doug Rice

Supportive Member
I could be wrong as my van is a 99 Dodge with a 4.7 CDS but my van should run at 2700 RPM.
The first pod pull the RPM up when the CDS is turned on and the secondary one is to take over when the truck is under load to keep the revs up.

Reactions: Jimmy L

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom