How do you guys qualify Tile & grout jobs? I Need Help!!

hanks75

We're a young company, only 2 years old, but we've cleaned alot of tile jobs. We've never had call backs until lately. 3 out of the last 5 tile jobs have requested that we come back out to address inconsistency in grout appearance. We're using the same product we've always used. Are some customers just too picky or can I be doing something wrong

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I think alot of custys are expecting too much out of cleaning their filthy, neglected tile and grout. Tile ain't the problem....it always cleans up. It's the inconsistant grout installs and the nature of the staining on unprotected grout. I guess that's why they push for color sealing.

Just my experience.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
I know this is probably to elementary, but could your sets be partically or maybe one stopped up? There are lots of different reasons this result could happen but I think this would be the first place I would start.

RickL

The problem is probably not what your doing but what they've done! If they have put wax or mop and glow on the floor then you will have massive problems getting the grout lines clean. There is no magic bullet. You have to learn how to pre-qualify
and test the floor with acid ,etc.
BTW large commercial environments that have maintenance staffs will use VCT on T&G a lot.
If the above isn't the case then it is either your chems (probably not if your using any name brand T&G cleaner) or your process, dwell times, scrubbing every grout line with a T&G brush, etc.
Some of these jobs you can throw some chems and hit it with a turbo and you good to go not usually though

Good Luck

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Be glad they had you come back out if it wasn't done right. Most people will never call you back if there's a problem and that's a customer lost.

Go back and see what you can do to clean it better. If possible, use an acid cleaner on the grout to see if that takes care of it.
You should be able to know after 2 years if the grout is dirty, stained, inconsistent or the customer is crazy.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
By the way, when pre-qualifying the job you need to let them know the worst case scenerio with the best optimistic attitude.

If you tell them it won't come back to new it's cool.
If they tell YOU is didn't come back to new it's not cool and it's your fault and you didn't do a good job in their eyes.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Bruce Humphrey said:
If you would "edit" your post instead of making a new one your post count wouldn't be so high !gotcha!

Great, now I have to respond to this post and get yet another post on my total. lol

You probably wouldn't believe how much I will go back and add to a post before anyone else gets there.
It's just a sickness I have. :|

tim

My guess is you need stronger chems and manual aggitation. Try using a stripper from Home Depot or Lowes diluted 2 to 1, apply liberally, allow sufficient dwell time, aggitate well with a hydroforce tile brush on a pole, then use a spinner to rinse. If you do this and still have issues, etch with a good acid, I like Restore from Stonetech and rinse again. If results are unsatisfactory its time to sell color seal. I like to test some of the worst grout lines before I do the job to know how to approach it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom