How do you inhibit Moths eating Rugs?

Discussion in 'Rugs and Textiles' started by T Monahan, Oct 6, 2016.

1. cleanking
    cleanking

Name:
    Jordan King
    @T Monahan I agree one container of repel has lasted us a long, long time. Do you know if it ever loses potency?
  2. T Monahan
    T Monahan

Supportive Member

Name:
    Tom Monahan
    We need to ask the producer.
  3. The Great Oz
    The Great Oz

Name:
    bryan
    Although wool can be made mothproof at the pre-spinning stage, pest control applicators say they no longer have access to the products that will make a non-mothproof textile permanently safe from moths. They can no longer guarantee to eradicate moths in a home either, just "control" them with repeated treatments. The products available have to make direct contact with the moth, egg or larvae; hard to do if under a carpet or in the folds of clothing.

This makes adding a treatment to rugs more important than ever.

The people that don't believe in putting Repel on a carpet are welcome to their opinion, and if their customers can be converted to living a life in service to their wool rugs (and paying for annual cleaning and insect damage repair) great! I just can't imagine the owner of multiple large rugs choosing to move furniture and vacuum the backs every few weeks if they knew there was a treatment to eliminate that worry.

As we heard at the Rug Summit, the Oriental rug market has crashed. I'd rather offer a service that makes people's lives easier, and makes them less likely to buy synthetic next time.
    cleanking, scottw and Nate The Great like this.
  4. Nate The Great
    Nate The Great

Name:
    Nate W.
    I was under the impression that "Repel" only lasts up to a year or so....? We very carefully word it when we offer it to customers... It doesn't stop the moths from eating it, it just makes it less tasty "sours the wool" making the moths move on to something more tasty...

Does it need to be applied before protection is added? Can you add it to your rinse water instead of spraying it on after extraction? I did like Joe Gabel's air sprayer to apply it I seen in a video...
  5. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    I agree, if you had seen the extensive moth damage on some of my collector customers rugs, you would cry. He imports carpets from all over the world and I don't know if the moth larva comes in with the rugs or if they are picked up locally. Some of these rugs are treasured heirlooms reflecting depictions and inscriptions from the Bible in Hebrew. Some are very valuable silk rugs, just beautiful to look at and feel. I had no idea of a product such as repel but I will be adding it to my chemical lineup. We were able to kill and remove all of the larva from the rugs but I know there are more in his home and eventually they will find the rugs again. I wonder if this can be used in home on rugs that are in use?
  6. scottw
    scottw

Supportive Member

Name:
    Scott Warrington
    I belive that Chem Max, another small Michigan company, offers a similar product called RESIST. The active ingredient is Zinc fluorosilicate.
  7. The Great Oz
    The Great Oz

Name:
    bryan
    I was under the impression that "Repel" only lasts up to a year or so....? We very carefully word it when we offer it to customers... It doesn't stop the moths from eating it, it just makes it less tasty "sours the wool" making the moths move on to something more tasty...
    We guarantee it for five years or the next cleaning. I've got hanging rugs that were treated 15 years ago that have no moth damage. I think it can wear off of a fiber with traffic, but traffic areas are not where moths survive for long.

Does it need to be applied before protection is added? Can you add it to your rinse water instead of spraying it on after extraction? I did like Joe Gabel's air sprayer to apply it I seen in a video...
    Very important to spray both side of the rug when clean and dry. Water in the rug not only changes the dilution, it keeps the product from absorbing into the yarn.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  8. Nate The Great
    Nate The Great

Name:
    Nate W.
    So basically apply the protector first, let dry, then Repel?
  9. T Monahan
    T Monahan

Supportive Member

Name:
    Tom Monahan
    Perhaps Aaron Groseclose should weigh in on this product that he blends and sells. That would be helpful to this thread.
    cleanking likes this.
  10. The Great Oz
    The Great Oz

Name:
    bryan
    We put the protector on after the moth treatment.
    Nate The Great and scottw like this.
  11. cleanking
    cleanking

Name:
    Jordan King
    I more so meant how long will unused powder last for.
    Nate The Great likes this.
  12. cleanking
    cleanking

Name:
    Jordan King
  13. Nate The Great
    Nate The Great

Name:
    Nate W.
    Good to know also...
  14. scottw
    scottw

Supportive Member

Name:
    Scott Warrington
    The unused powder should be good for several years as long as it stays dry. In some climates or storage conditions that may be more difficult than you think. If the powder absorbs moisture from the air, it will slowly lose effectiveness.
  15. Ofer Kolton
    Ofer Kolton

Name:
    Ofer Kolton
    Not sure I follow Scott.
    If it loses effectiveness due to air exposure and moisture absorption, wouldn't it once applied to rugs lose the same effectiveness?

Also, is the product used on wool carpet? May help if applied under furniture where vacuuming never happens and is where the majority of damage happens.

Any adverse effect? For example I heard people complain (not about this specific product) that when vacuuming after a certain product (as particles get airborne) people felt a bitter aftertaste.
  16. scottw
    scottw

Supportive Member

Name:
    Scott Warrington
    Sorry for the confusion. I should have been more precise. When the container of product absorbs moisture form the air, it clumps and becomes more difficult to use and more difficult to apply evenly.

Over-application might produce some residual powder that could become air-borne. I have never heard of this being a health or safety issue.

To even out wear on rugs, many rug retailers and rug washers encourage people to rotate their rugs or otherwise change the traffic patterns on a regular basis. Applying a product to repel moths only to areas under furniture, would leave portions of the rug unprotected that might later be under furniture.
  17. Ofer Kolton
    Ofer Kolton

Name:
    Ofer Kolton
    Thanks Scott.

I was also talking about applying the product to Carpet, not rugs, which naturally cannot be rotated.
    I was wondering if an application there will actually help as the majority of damage to wool Carpet that I see, is in undisturbed and dark areas.
  18. Desk Jockey
    Desk Jockey

Color me BADD

Name:
    Tony Stark
    If that story is true and the vacuuming is breaking off particles which are thrown into the air stream, try doing so with HEPA filtration.

Its sounds as if the particles are broken off, vacuumed up but not trapped in the collector. Instead these micro-particles are being redistributed throughout the air space due to their size.

If this is the case then HEPA should help. You could also wear an N-95 particulate mask while vacuuming, if you felt it was necessary.
  19. scottw
    scottw

Supportive Member

Name:
    Scott Warrington
    Ofer, my experience with these products is on rugs. Your ideas make sense to me. But, I do not want to go beyond my own experience especailly when talking about someone else's product.
  20. Ofer Kolton
    Ofer Kolton

Name:
    Ofer Kolton
    What do you mean "if", Grasshopper? Sheesh! Do I have to report you to Willy again?

It was a client that mentioned it (not the Repel product) and I've learned to trust clients even if it is not what I experienced myself. Most people tell it as it is and some are more sensitive and aware than others. It was their vacuum, their vacuuming, I have no control over what filtration they use.

I am sure Hepa will help, but it does not trap everything and stuff gets airborne. Weather it was related to a specific product or had nothing to do with it I am not sure. That is why I am concerned with a product that is known to be "bitter" being airborne by vacuuming.

Thanks Scott.