Hydramaster CDS U Joints Driveshaft

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Hi,
I have a Hydramaster CDS 4.8 (1999) in a Dodge Ram Van.
Last week when I was lubing the U Joints I noticed this red greasy dust all over the engine and it turned out the front U Joint was in the process of disintegrating. I practically caught it last minute. I was able to find the correct U Joints at Napa and my mechanic is putting them in right now.The points where the U Joints fit in were really worn and my mechanic told me that he also has to weld somewhere else on the drive shaft should think about replacing it eventually.
The local distributor has the driveshaft priced at 700.-! That seems like a lot...
I was able to find the U joints at Napa Auto,so now I'm wondering if the drive shaft for my machine might also be a standard part that I could get somewhere else for less. I could imagine that Hydramaster doesn't manufacture the part themselves. Has anybody here swapped one out for an off the shelf drive shaft?
Do you have a source and a part number?
I thought I have been keeping up with the lubing well enough but the joints still wore out. Is there a point where they just go in spite of being greased regularly?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom