I realized another good reason to start bringing my own water with me. (Prepare to read)

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I was at a job yesterday at a lakehouse. I'm sure some of you already know what I'm gonna say.

I meet my customers and the husband's first response to me was "Are you Zerorez?" Kinda pissed, I looked at him and said, "not today I'm not". So after a few minutes of him asking about the chemistry, and me describing the difference between their water and mine, and the difference in how much longer my equipment lasts...he seems satisfied that I know what I'm talking about with the type of water I use to clean carpet.

So now I'm outside setting up. He's out with me and asks me if I need a hose hookup. He brings me this little white hose and asks if this will do. I said yes sir. He then says, "it's potable water". I never heard that term before, so I said, "ah". That's my dumbass term for "I don't care". After he turns it on, he says "I use this lake water for everything". WTF!? I QUICKLY disconnected it, and went to another spicket where he was bragging about how his water was specially filtered and it was the best water. Then I said, "I need water clean enough to drink to clean carpet". His response was, "We all drink Lakewater". Something wasn't right. I hoped that he was talking about the lake water going to a water purifying place.
So with my frustration, I came back with "Is that water clean or not?". He told me no.

I related this to his first question about zerorez and how interested he was in their water. I could tell he was one who is overly concerned about water.

Why would he suggest to use lake water and not the clean water first? The more important question is, why the hell didn't I bring my own water? Big eye opener.

Because if nobody was there, I still would've used that little white hose, because it was the first thing I saw and it's not labeled for anything different. Imagine the callback I would've gotten on that

I'm in the market for a water tank. Any suggestions?

Reactions: Living The Dream
Name
Steve Lawrence
We ran out of our fresh water tank once (110 gals gone previously) and connected to the customer's country water source--bad idea--they called back with the complaint that their carpet stunk. It really didn't smell bad but we did have to redo the job with our water.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
People are dumb!

I got a call from my PM yesterday about a carpet I cleaned two months ago. The owner was complaining that the carpet didn't look cleaned. I looked up the invoice and sure enough the heavy wear was noted. It was also noted in the original work order. They had written “The carpet is old and worn out but just go ahead and clean it anyway”. So I did as they asked, noting a second time about the extreme wear on my invoice.

I just don't know how people think. Probably what happened is the homeowner called the PM and yelled at the office girls. They pushed it back to me. I flat out told them it's worn out. The owner will just need to accept that.

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
People drink all sorts of things they shouldn't

You were wise not to do that. It might be well filtered, but it might not be. We worry so much about what we run through our machines, which is often diluted 256:1, and ignore the "product" that we use in far higher volumes.

Steve's story is a good cautionary tale (and one I've heard often from others) and Tom Forsythe has posted here in the past about the merits of softened water as well.

Reactions: Nomad74

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
"potable water" means drinking/food/washing safe water..

you forgot to add "idiot"

haven't a clue what Z-res has to do with anything :headscratch:
But I'm curious, is there something wrong with surface water being used for cleaning if not full of sediment or stagnant pond scum??

I think not

We never carried water ...the weight and space wasn't worth the convenience to me

convenience factor aside...

the greatest benefit to your own water, is consistency.
Regardless whether conditioned/softened water, distilled or RO OR NOT, you know what you start with and how much juice/powder is needed
Your chems work the same way every time, your results are the same every time

..L.T.A.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
The Butler with 210 recovery tank + fresh water tank (unless you're called Mark and possibly, beside his band leader personality, that's why he brings two vans to the job) also means less tools and chems. Or, on each job, moving out half your van's content to reach anything.

To each his own. You got to choose your compromises.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
The Butler with 210 recovery tank + fresh water tank (unless you're called Mark and possibly, beside his band leader personality, that's why he brings two vans to the job) also means less tools and chems. Or, on each job, moving out half your van's content to reach anything.

To each his own. You got to choose your compromises.
You don't need to bring every tool you own to every job. Most days, I bring either a crb or rotovac, couple of wands, several upholstery tools, a groomer and a vacuum. Fits into an ordinary van nice and easy. An extended van would be luxury.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell
Name
Jeff T
you forgot to add "idiot"

haven't a clue what Z-res has to do with anything :headscratch:
But I'm curious, is there something wrong with surface water being used for cleaning if not full of sediment or stagnant pond scum??

I think not

We never carried water ...the weight and space wasn't worth the convenience to me

convenience factor aside...

the greatest benefit to your own water, is consistency.
Regardless whether conditioned/softened water, distilled or RO OR NOT, you know what you start with and how much juice/powder is needed
Your chems work the same way every time, your results are the same every time

..L.T.A.
Larry wins post of the day.... I had my RO system serviced today. I couldn’t believe the shyte on the sides of the filters. I’ve my system down now when it comes to chems, and soil level. I never have to guess how much to put in. I fookin love my RO water.... the only problem, if I do run low on water, I’m fooked.... cause I look at clients tap water as DIRTY.....

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I like to have the necessary tools when I need them and I don't always know in advance which I'll need. And the same goes for the different chemicals. For me it is more important than the 210 tank, which most here will never fill in a working day.

As said, you got to choose your compromises. Everybody has different priorities. Its all good.

You don't need to bring every tool you own to every job.
Funny. Considering who its coming from :winky:.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I think if you are servicing rural areas

well water is the biggie
Most folks out here in Wupchuck have softeners/conditioners along with flush toilets .
But many a hose bibs outside don't go thru conditioners (most don't)

same for most new developments with city/muni water ...cause you don't need conditioned water to water the lawn and flowers .
(But any jamoke that can't clean with city/muni water should be slinging mocha lattes at Starbucks, not CC'ing)

speaking of wells and a dreadful sight for a CC'er with no onboard water.....

Open the garden hose and see a stream of red tint that may or may not dissipate after minutes of open hose flush
or smell as bad as Hawaii does right now

don't ask me how I know ......

..L.T.A.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
On most of my old trucks, I used to run a cartridge type water filter on my fresh water line. I've gotten away from that and currently run only a pressure washer type filter. I used to have to change the cartridge monthly. You would be amazed at the gunk it removed. Between a filter and boiling the water in your heating system, most water is going to be ok. As long as you're not pulling it from the septic pond.

Reactions: Dolly Llama
Name
Jeff T
On most of my old trucks, I used to run a cartridge type water filter on my fresh water line. I've gotten away from that and currently run only a pressure washer type filter. I used to have to change the cartridge monthly. You would be amazed at the gunk it removed. Between a filter and boiling the water in your heating system, most water is going to be ok. As long as you're not pulling it from the septic pond.
The area I live in has terrible. water. They pull it out of Lakes. Every spring, we have a boil water advisory..... can you say turbidity? The water quality is shyte, so I choose to install a light industrial RO system. My plan is to build a shop on my property, and use the system for everything from household use to CC, to rug plant, I’m in the beginning stages of a small beverage company.... there’s method to my madness.... I didn’t spend 18k just to clean carpet....

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I like to have the necessary tools when I need them and I don't always know in advance which I'll need. And the same goes for the different chemicals. For me it is more important than the 210 tank, which most here will never fill in a working day.

As said, you got to choose your compromises. Everybody has different priorities. Its all good.

Funny. Considering who its coming from :winky:.
That's just the thing. In the city, you don't need a fresh water tank, which frees up space for more tools. Unless you live in Minnesota.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
I run a filter bank into a water softener

Across area I service we change from chlorinated to unchlorinated, areas of high iron, high sodium to low natural levels of arsenic

I dont carry water I just keep in mind where I am geographically

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Damn it Ron :winky:
Had you been paying attention- This whole damn thread was started regarding having a fresh water tank. And a trailer dude from the south.

So don't break all the rules or I'll have to forward your email to Mardie.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Damn it Ron :winky:
Had you been paying attention- This whole damn thread was started regarding having a fresh water tank. And a trailer dude from the south.

So don't break all the rules or I'll have to forward your email to Mardie.
I like breaking rules. Tomorrow, my first job is portable with rotovac 360i, trashed apt. Maybe I will take some pics. Next job is truckmount not too far from first job, so I will drop off portable back at the shop first to free up space in the van. Then time to watch the hockey game at my local pub.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom