If they start with the phrase "do you give free estimates" run away!

Two years ago, I went to do an estimate for this person in Greenwood Lake, NY. Where you have many very poor and a handful of very rich. You also have a good chunk that are cash poor, but sort of property rich. They are 65+ they bought the house for $25,000 in the 1960's. It was a nice middle class house, but more likely than not, they let it get run down. When I go here, I routinely clean Gen 3-4 nylon that was installed when Johnson or Nixon was president. Today, those houses are worth $200,000-250,000 even in a run down state. 5 miles away, in good condition, another village in the same town the values are $750,000-$1,500,000. Back to Greenwood Lake. This was a lodge made of logs, about 3,000 sf of floor space, about 1,500 feet 40+ year old carpet. It was very dirty. I estimated $450. The old lady looked me right in the eye and said "I'll give you $75".I didn't even respond, I just walked out. This sort of thing is to be expected in Greenwood Lake. I'll let you draw your own conclusions why. Until 40 years ago, it was a popular summer home retreat just an hour or so out of NYC. There are several colonies like this in the suburbs. I actually reduce my Adwords bid by 20% for the area, I can't be bothered with most of them.
So today, I get a call asking if I give free estimates in Greenwood Lake. She knows screen an recoat is $1.50 per sq ft. She might be confused with a $4.50-5.00 complete refinishing. Some are, no matter if you tell them it is not drum sanding, restaining and refinishing. I call it wishful thinking.

Today's caller has commercial carpet glued down over hardwood in a house from about 1950. At least a 95% chance it is Vermont Maple about 3/16" thick over pine planks. So she asks me if I could peal up the carpet, scrape the glue and refinish the floor. I tell her it would probably be cheaper to replace it, but I am not a floor mechanic. She offers $2 per sq ft before I can say goodbye, like this is a large sum of money. That's when I tell her that the floor refinishers I know charge $4.50-5 and to scrap the mastic up would probably be another $5.00 per sq ft. She is dumbfounded. She wants to pay prices of when Truman was in office, because she sees the world as a starving 3rd world crap hole to exploit.

A guy I know who installs vinyl sheet, carpet and laminate gets about $1.50 per sq ft to install laminate. She's his type of customer, they buy crap laminate from Lumber Liquidators for about $1 per sq ft and they will install it of ruined hardwood.

This is why I am reluctant to give free estimates. I give you a simple per sq ft price and you might be able to estimate the room sizes. Gas costs too much and time is too valuable to give away free estimates. The closest I come is $25 which will be applied to the bill if you get work done, but "free estimates" is definitely a red flag for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I must speak mutant to some of ya, lol

I try to shoot em over the phone, if ya shoot high.... well ya better be a smooth talker

Dang near rented the Galaxy to a couple today before finally nailing em down, sheewie : )

hogjowl

Idiot™
You ARE a little hard to understand at times. Sort of like that Aloha dude over in that parallel universe. (where the other "Mikey" is not quite so narcissiistic)

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
You ARE a little hard to understand at times. Sort of like that Aloha dude over in that parallel universe. (where the other "Mikey" is not quite so narcissiistic)

Only Aloha Dude on my list is Nate, This is My Alter Universe

and of All people on this planet, I figured you would understand pig latin : )

Reactions: bob vawter
Name
cameron demille
I don't agree. I regularly sell nice jobs to people who ask if I do free estimates. Not everyone that asks for a free estimate will turn you down if you say no.

ryankettering

Name
Ryan Kettering
Two years ago, I went to do an estimate for this person in Greenwood Lake, NY. Where you have many very poor and a handful of very rich. You also have a good chunk that are cash poor, but sort of property rich. They are 65+ they bought the house for $25,000 in the 1960's. It was a nice middle class house, but more likely than not, they let it get run down. When I go here, I routinely clean Gen 3-4 nylon that was installed when Johnson or Nixon was president. Today, those houses are worth $200,000-250,000 even in a run down state. 5 miles away, in good condition, another village in the same town the values are $750,000-$1,500,000. Back to Greenwood Lake. This was a lodge made of logs, about 3,000 sf of floor space, about 1,500 feet 40+ year old carpet. It was very dirty. I estimated $450. The old lady looked me right in the eye and said "I'll give you $75".I didn't even respond, I just walked out. This sort of thing is to be expected in Greenwood Lake. I'll let you draw your own conclusions why. Until 40 years ago, it was a popular summer home retreat just an hour or so out of NYC. There are several colonies like this in the suburbs. I actually reduce my Adwords bid by 20% for the area, I can't be bothered with most of them.
So today, I get a call asking if I give free estimates in Greenwood Lake. She knows screen an recoat is $1.50 per sq ft. She might be confused with a $4.50-5.00 complete refinishing. Some are, no matter if you tell them it is not drum sanding, restaining and refinishing. I call it wishful thinking.

Today's caller has commercial carpet glued down over hardwood in a house from about 1950. At least a 95% chance it is Vermont Maple about 3/16" thick over pine planks. So she asks me if I could peal up the carpet, scrape the glue and refinish the floor. I tell her it would probably be cheaper to replace it, but I am not a floor mechanic. She offers $2 per sq ft before I can say goodbye, like this is a large sum of money. That's when I tell her that the floor refinishers I know charge $4.50-5 and to scrap the mastic up would probably be another $5.00 per sq ft. She is dumbfounded. She wants to pay prices of when Truman was in office, because she sees the world as a starving 3rd world crap hole to exploit.

A guy I know who installs vinyl sheet, carpet and laminate gets about $1.50 per sq ft to install laminate. She's his type of customer, they buy crap laminate from Lumber Liquidators for about $1 per sq ft and they will install it of ruined hardwood.

This is why I am reluctant to give free estimates. I give you a simple per sq ft price and you might be able to estimate the room sizes. Gas costs too much and time is too valuable to give away free estimates. The closest I come is $25 which will be applied to the bill if you get work done, but "free estimates" is definitely a red flag for me.

I only do in person estimates for those that are older(70+).. Why? Because that's just how they do things. I offered an older guy (could tell by voice) a price on the phone and he still wanted me to come out and give an "estimate" (came out to be the same price) but I appreciate that older 'slower' way of living. The older people like to meet you before doing business with you in my experience.

Side note, it makes me sick how people take advantage of the elderly. And it is a problem in this business unfortunately.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
I give free estimates for tile and stone work. I would be sitting at home with no work if I didn't get out there, I'm confident in my ability to close jobs so I consider it part of the job.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree we give free estimates all day long and are benefited by doing so.

A good majority already know they want you, they just want a little hand holding. There are even times where we get the job solely due to the fact that we were the only ones willing to look at it.

I think in Peter's case it has more to do with that isolated area, than it being an overall condition. ???

Mikey P

Administrator
I give free tile estimates in town. Far away I'll ask for photos to make sure I'm not wasting our time.
I can't even imagine how many I'd lose if I charged a fee.

On a they note, I've had a couple people freak out over our variable minimum charge lately. Regardless of distance they don't think it's fair that one are cost more than the other..
Rather than explain profit and losses to non business people, we no longer mention that their hour long drive will cost more than a job in town. Now all they hear is " the minimum is $165" ..

No mention of its variations

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Try "Service Area" for the lower minimum and Extended Service Area" for the higher minimum. Its the same thing but might come across as more palatable. ???

That's how we do it, anything close is regular and anything far away with windshield time is in the extended. We service both areas, it just costs more the further away you get. As it should, since your operating costs go up also.

Many companies won't travel, so those people have limited options for service. So yes, its not uncommon for someone to complain about paying more for service that the client just down the road from you. These people know that, they just want to share their grief with you. :neutral:

This is why I am open and upfront with my pricing. Say it is 25¢ per sf. That means the average bedroom is $37.50. The average hallway is $25. A large bedroom is $50. A living room is $75. A large living room might be $100.
Being in the outer suburbs, not densely populated, it is normal to drive 30-45 minutes to a job. They use this as a weapon. You just burned up 60-90 minutes to give a free estimate. They got you over a barrel. This is why they wanted you to come. You don't upsell these people, they haggle you down. These people invented haggling. You probably have very little experience with these people, because 75% of them live within 100 miles of NYC for the entire country. The ones who live near you have strayed far from the tribe. Their nature has changed. Unfortunately, they are the ones with money in this region, but a lot of them are a pain. If you still don't get it, I'll give you another hint. This village is about 15 minutes away from me. They are the poorest community in all of America, by far. Something like 60% are on the dole there. I will not even actively seek business in this area for fear of being scalped by the customer.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That sounds rough. Yea I wouldn't travel that far for a free estimate either.

One thing we do for larger tickets jobs that they want estimated is, we charge for the estimate BUT if they choose to do the work we credit it towards the invoice. Most that pay end up using us, they others drop off but at least they had an option.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Kinda just use common sense, for tile and grout or larger carpet jobs we want to give an estimate. Its up to me to qualify people over the phone or as mikey suggested ask for pictures if they are more then 30 minutes away.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
This is a good topic, we all have these issues.

It's not necessarily charging them more to do the same work. The price is still the same, they just have to clean/spend more.

If it's really far, for us an hour is pretty far(25+ miles). Then yes, they might pay more.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I have also found when people call me to schedual, it works better if I Tell them when they can be serviced rather than asking when they would like it done.

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
This is why I am open and upfront with my pricing. Say it is 25¢ per sf. That means the average bedroom is $37.50. The average hallway is $25. A large bedroom is $50. A living room is $75. A large living room might be $100.
Being in the outer suburbs, not densely populated, it is normal to drive 30-45 minutes to a job. They use this as a weapon. You just burned up 60-90 minutes to give a free estimate. They got you over a barrel. This is why they wanted you to come. You don't upsell these people, they haggle you down. These people invented haggling. You probably have very little experience with these people, because 75% of them live within 100 miles of NYC for the entire country. The ones who live near you have strayed far from the tribe. Their nature has changed. Unfortunately, they are the ones with money in this region, but a lot of them are a pain. If you still don't get it, I'll give you another hint. This village is about 15 minutes away from me. They are the poorest community in all of America, by far. Something like 60% are on the dole there. I will not even actively seek business in this area for fear of being scalped by the customer.

Topic OFF

I can't help but notice- since you started posting- that you have a problem with Jews...

Topic ON

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Topic OFF

I can't help but notice- since you started posting- that you have a problem with Jews...

Topic ON

Psst:

This Topic would actually be best discussed in the Rubber Room.

We Thank You for this Public Service Announcement : )

Board Members

Last edited:
Reactions: your_good_sons
Topic OFF

Topic ON
If you want to start a pissing match, that is your choice, but calling me out in public is a poor reflection on you.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Peter,
Some carpet cleaners get into this mind set of "the client is the enemy".
It is not a good mind set to be in. It never leads to anything positive.

The client is not the enemy (they actually allow us to make a decent living) and your actions are your choices.

Nobody forces you to provide free estimates. I don't. Well, I do on the phone. My on location free estimate is $184.00
If you don't like giving free estimates, don't do it.
If you do do it. Be nice and feel good about it. Otherwise, chances are that you will not get the sale and get even more annoyed than you already are.

Which will keep perpetuating the same vicious cycle.

Last edited:
Some are the enemy. When people have ulterior motives, I just move on and cherry pick the ones with the least hassle.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
My attitude is SELL,SELL, SELL!

On the phone, in person, through a referral...
Who cares, its up to me the most effective path for that service.

Stimulate-Response-Stimulate
YOU want to be the one stimulating and not just sit back and be the worlds punching bag.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Peter,
Some carpet cleaners get into this mind set of "the client is the enemy".
It is not a good mind set to be in. It never leads to anything positive.

The client is not the enemy (they actually allow us to make a decent living) and your actions are your choices.

Nobody forces you to provide free estimates. I don't. Well, I do on the phone. My on location free estimate is $184.00
If you don't like giving free estimates, don't do it.
If you do do it. Be nice and feel good about it. Otherwise, chances are that you will not get the sale and get even more annoyed than you already are.

Which will keep perpetuating the same vicious cycle.
I've got to agree with Ofer. No matter what a pain they might possibly be, these people are providing a living for me and my family.

When I take the time to think about that, I'm a much nicer ogre.

Ummm...ogre not Ofer. :shifty:
0785a06a-c5fe-4df1-bf5d-3e938a6550f3_zps9e0a0f00.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Rule # 1

Everyone Knows Somebody!

Ya gotta keep yur cool at ALL times!

No crap like Art w the beer canz fallin outta the TM, even if it wuz a visit. Bad!! shame!!

1 mismanagement of your image and look out, it'll be jus like the VLM vs TM thread w tour customers!

Do what Chucky Cheeze does.
Smile n Wave it aint hard.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom