I'm surprised neither myself, the sofa or the 370 went up in flames with this attempt

Mikey P

Administrator
Three week old poster paint...

And at this point things just stop moving but they already bought the slip cover
20231107_162612-COLLAGE.jpg

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
There was once a fire in Colorado caused by a cleaner who used a very flammable solvent to clean draperies in a home. The fire was so rapid that the cleaner had to jump out the window.

The elderly customer didn't/couldn't, and died.

I have quite a few stories of fires caused that way that didn't result in death, but did result in fire losses.

Be careful out there...

SamIam

Name
sam miller
There was once a fire in Colorado caused by a cleaner who used a very flammable solvent to clean draperies in a home. The fire was so rapid that the cleaner had to jump out the window.

The elderly customer didn't/couldn't, and died.

I have quite a few stories of fires caused that way that didn't result in death, but did result in fire losses.

Be careful out there...
That's 🔥 omg 😱.

Cleaner was probably smoking

Like the scene from Zoolander when they're ⛽ gas.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
I have seen two that we caused a long time ago. Thankfully neither was that severe and no one was injured.

1st one happened when a crew laid a lamp on a sofa with it still hooked up to a timer. The bulb was touching the fabric, the timer turned the lamp on and a smoldering fire resulted. It was caught very quickly by the homeowner and all it cost us was a new sofa.

2nd one was an electrical receptacle that was in the middle of a room. The homeowner had poked a wire up from the basement and hooked it onto a receptacle. No box, just the receptacle laying on the carpet. We got the carpet wet while cleaning, and then slid the sofa over it. It started arcing and caught the sofa on fire while we were still there. We easily put the fire out, and also called the fire department just to be sure nothing else would happen. The customer tried to make us pay for the sofa and a room of carpet, but we just referred them to the fire marshal who inspected the site. It's a wonder the place hadn't burned down long before we were there.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I think I remember that story. Wasn't he using straight Iso alcohol?

He had it mixed with a glycol ether solvent and OMS if memory serves, but it was the alcohol that did it.

I struggle to avoid telling old man stories, but there is value to history when it comes to safety.

What always worries me the most this time of year is carbon monoxide poisoning from truck mount or van engines.

I talked a guy out of doing something stupid today that might have made him a victim.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
He had it mixed with a glycol ether solvent and OMS if memory serves, but it was the alcohol that did it.

I struggle to avoid telling old man stories, but there is value to history when it comes to safety.

What always worries me the most this time of year is carbon monoxide poisoning from truck mount or van engines.

I talked a guy out of doing something stupid today that might have made him a victim.
We had one that happened a few years ago. 2 newbies in the business parked their van in the garage, closed the door and began to clean the townhouse. They found them after the cleaning unit finally ran out of gas. Both passed away. Some people just aren't aware of the dangers, often with auxiliary generators. Suppliers of gas powered equipment need to emphasize how dangerous it is as many people just don't know.

FredC

Village Idiot
Actually, it was a spark from static electricity that caused the fatal fire.

In other cases, it was an electric arc when a defective switch was turned off

I did a quick google to read more but didn't find that story I did however find one where the guy caused a carpet fire or at least melting without any accelerant :eekk:

An Australian man built up so much static electricity in his clothes as he walked that he burned carpets, melted plastic and sparked a mass evacuation.
Frank Clewer, of the western Victorian city of Warrnambool, was wearing a synthetic nylon jacket and a woollen shirt when he went for a job interview.

As he walked into the building, the carpet ignited from the 40,000 volts of static electricity that had built up.

"It sounded almost like a firecracker or something like that," he said.

"Within about five minutes, the carpet started to erupt," he told Australian radio.

Considerable current

Perplexed firemen evacuated the building and cut its electricity supply, thinking the burns could have been caused by a power surge.

"There were several scorch marks in the carpet, and we could hear a cracking noise - a bit like a whip - both inside and outside the building," said fire official Henry Barton.

Mr Clewer said that after leaving the building, he scorched a piece of plastic in his car.

His clothes were measured by firemen as carrying an electrical charge of 40,000 volts, the Reuters news agency quoted Mr Barton as saying.

The fire official added that the charge was close to being high enough to cause the items to spontaneously combust.

"I've been firefighting for over 35 years and I've never come across anything like this," he said.

Now I'm wondering if those spontaneous combustion stories from my childhood were true...

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I did a quick google to read more but didn't find that story I did however find one where the guy caused a carpet fire or at least melting without any accelerant :eekk:

An Australian man built up so much static electricity in his clothes as he walked that he burned carpets, melted plastic and sparked a mass evacuation.
Frank Clewer, of the western Victorian city of Warrnambool, was wearing a synthetic nylon jacket and a woollen shirt when he went for a job interview.

As he walked into the building, the carpet ignited from the 40,000 volts of static electricity that had built up.

"Within about five minutes, the carpet started to erupt," he told Australian radio.

Considerable current

Perplexed firemen evacuated the building and cut its electricity supply, thinking the burns could have been caused by a power surge.

"There were several scorch marks in the carpet, and we could hear a cracking noise - a bit like a whip - both inside and outside the building," said fire official Henry Barton.

Mr Clewer said that after leaving the building, he scorched a piece of plastic in his car.

His clothes were measured by firemen as carrying an electrical charge of 40,000 volts, the Reuters news agency quoted Mr Barton as saying.

The fire official added that the charge was close to being high enough to cause the items to spontaneously combust.

"I've been firefighting for over 35 years and I've never come across anything like this," he said.

Now I'm wondering if those spontaneous combustion stories from my childhood were true...

I don't know if Ed York's "Tips N Chat" is searchable or not. It was recorded there, in print of course. If memory serves, it would be in the early 80s. It was in Colorado, not sure if it was Denver or not, perhaps.

The sad outcome is more vivid to me than any other details.

Reactions: FredC

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott

Considerable current

Was his name Johnny Lightning?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom