im thinking of getting this set-up

braddaddy

I've narrowed my search for equipment down to this:
US PRODUCTS King Cobra 1200 Pro
- 1200 psi for hard surface cleaning
- 150-500psi for carpet cleaning
ROTOVAC 360
- Rotary extraction powerhead
- changeable cleaning head for different surfaces.

Any thoughts?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
What are you planning on doing?

Why the US product? Usually their equipment is much more expensive than say- Mytee.

Why the roto. Wouldn't a 2" wand with a glide (like a greenhorn) connected to a portable with a 2" intake + a 175 machine or a counter rotating brush accomplish better cleaning for less?

Also what are the job sizes?

Can you use a heavy machine (larger tanks capacity) or is it going to be difficult to down and up load?

braddaddy

Well I'm looking to do both carpet and tile. Ill probably do small jobs to start out. Small restaurants, apartments, etc as I gain experience. I thought I would take anything I can get to get things going for myself. I just thought that I would get as good equipment as I could. I dont want to look at my equip in say 6mo and wish i had gotten better stuff.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
Why not do this?

truckforce 3500 - $3500
water otter (1200 psi external water pump) - $900
sx-12 - $780
gecko tool - $250
2'' wand - $700

being able to run up to 150' of hose " Priceless" plus its all portable and able to be setup just about anywhere..

TruckForce 3500 has:

50 - 500 psi hypro (cast iron) pump
3- 2 stage vacs (200 inches water lift at 14 hg)
autofill with chemical metering
Auto dump (20gpm)

comes with 50 ft of all hoses and a wand.. (ask for upgraded hose and wand)

I run all 2" hose and wand.
i also use the 3000 psi rated pressure line so i can hook to the water otter and not have to worry about having a seperate set of hoses.

water otter :

think around 2.5 gpm at 50-1200psi (adjustable)
cord has electric ground fault (keeps you from getting cooked)
and is extreamly portable and you dont have to carry the extra weight all the time

Sx-12 --awsome tile tool, there are alot of spinners out there all do a fairly well job..

gecko tool -- has diffeant heads to get the edges and to clean the really tough grout lines..

2" hose and 2" wand ---- maximizes machine airflow and lift by restricting as little airflow as possible
(machine is all plumbed 2" to the vacs)

The truckforce 3500 also has large stair climbing wheels and is built like a tank.. masterblend has a great product.. and awsome customer support..

I got mine from pembertons and have never regretted spending the money for a quality machine, plus masterblend is an american company.. and us products from what i was told just moved there production to mexico..

I support america and buy american when i can..

jim pemberton hooked me up..
http://www.pembertons.com
1-800-342-2297

and no i do not get any perks for promoting the truckforce.. i am just amped about mine kicking ass!! beast of a machine!!!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
braddaddy said:
I just thought that I would get as good equipment as I could.

that's a wise decision

I dont want to look at my equip in say 6mo and wish i had gotten better stuff.

something over priced does not mean it's "better".
Just means it's over priced or over complicated with systems not needed on a simple squirt and suck machine

here's another thought, you may or may not choose to stay in this biz.
a $5000 dollar porty is worth less than half that in a year if you try to sell it

also, there are serviceable used TMs available for not much more than that.
Don't drop a bundle on a porty unless your market is hi-rise or lock ins.
and even then, there are many good hi-performance portys on the market for $2000-$3000

..L.T.A.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Too much money to only get a single 3 stage motor which may or may not keep up with the high water output of the rotovac. Be sure to look closely at Mytee's stuff. Great products from good people.
Don't forget to master a wand first.

DavidB

braddaddy said:
I've narrowed my search for equipment down to this:
US PRODUCTS King Cobra 1200 Pro
- 1200 psi for hard surface cleaning
- 150-500psi for carpet cleaning
ROTOVAC 360
- Rotary extraction powerhead
- changeable cleaning head for different surfaces.

Any thoughts?

IMO, that machine you mentioned as it has been said is way overpriced, and if you want options for around the same amount of dollars you can get a variety of tools for the job and give you a whole lot of flexibility in services offered.

I would look into the Mytee M5 for extractor and there water hog machinehttp://www.mytee.com/products/product.php?id=4000, that would give you tile cleaning capabilities make it much more flexible and less of a hassle for what is in my opinion a better buy. As far as the rotovac, I would opt for the option mentioned above, a 175 machine and nice wand, as far as wands there are several to choose from so you will have to research that to find out what would suit you best.

Another option for the extractor could be the m12 from mytee that has a 1200psi pump included no need for the extra water pressure machine.

http://www.mytee.com/products/index.php?cat=carpet

I have been looking at similar setups myself for my business and between customer service and "value" they have a very solid line

I looked at the Mytee M5 and that thing weighs 160 pounds. How would anyone handle such a heavy machine all day long? The 100 psi mahcines without heat don't clean worth a darn either. The mytee looks like the way to go with auto fill/dump. How would you set the machine up on a job?

DavidB

I agree that it is a bit heavy, but it beats the hell out of having the dreaded bucket brigade. I would definitely get a ramp to move it in and out.

BTW, the mytee M5 is the same as Greenie's M5

C&S said:
from your van.. run it from the van.

There is a guy here with a heavy Mytee that uses a sweet trailer and rolls the machine in the house but never goes upstairs as he has 75 feet of hose. I tried to tell him to ditch the 1.5 inch hose, but he wouldn't listen to me. Would you really run 100-150 ft of hose off the machine from the truck? I need a good portable to use on some really large spread out homes I clean. I just think it would be better and I would get great results if I just take my time.

R

rotovacguy

Brad, why buy new? And why a Cobra? Those things are overpriced garbage! One single 3 stage motor for a $5000+ unit?? You can save a bundle picking up a good used unit from ebay or craigslist. I see good Mytee units on there all the time. Sure, they are usually only packing 2 small vacs and a wimpy 100 psi pump. But that stuff is easily replaced. I've seen plenty of those units selling for around $800. You can pick up some of those GS vacs from Mytee. Not sure of the price, but would figure 2 of them to go for about $300. So you have $1100 invested with some killer suck. Next, pull out the wimpy 100 psi pump and plop in a nice 1200+ psi unit. Personally, I prefer an external unit for multiple reasons. Less weight, less heat, easier to service, and on those cold nights we are getting, much easier to put just the pump in the house, as opposed to wheeling the whole extractor in. If you have a heated garage, or live in a warm state, that might not be an issue for you. Your profile doesn't state where you live, so idk.

But you can get a nice pump setup for under a grand. But let's round up to $1000, just to play it safe. So you now have $2100 invested in your porty, and it has plenty of suck, and enough flow and pressure to do tile work, too. You could add a nice APO for pretty cheap, too. If you are going to do tile work, that will be a necessity. How much for a decent APO setup? couple hundred bucks? So let's put the total to $2300 for the porty, that includes your vacs, pump, and APO.

What do those Rotovac 360's go for? I'm sure they are NOT cheap. You can easily get a great 2" wand and a nice 17" 1.5 hp 175 for FAR less! Plus you'll be more versatile, too. A 175 can do more than just carpet and tile, unlike the 360. You can find some great deals on used 175's, too. I found my 17" Sanitaire in brand new condition, looks like it was used once or twice at most, for $300, with the pad driver! It's a $1200 unit, so I can't complain about that deal. But you can find a nice new one for about $750. Wands will vary, but you can get a "decent" one for under $500....the "great" ones are much more, of course. So let's say $1100 for your 175 and wand setup. Add another $400 for your hose and solution line. That should get you 100 feet of 2" hose and solution line.

You can get a nice, brand new Mytee redline spinner, for doing tile work, for about $600.

So lets total this stuff up.

Used extractor - $800 (estimate)

2 GS motors (same as in the M5) - $300 (estimate)

Pump - $1000 (I have my eye on a really nice external. It's rated for 1500 psi, 3.2 GPM, with a 5 year warranty on the pump, gauges, chem injection, all the goodies, and it goes for about $800)

APO - $200 (estimate)

17" 1.5 hp 175 - $750 (estimate)

2" wand - $350 (estimate)

Mytee redline sinner - $600 (estimate)

2" hose and solution - $400 (estimate for 100')

So if my math is correct, that puts you at about $4400. Keep in mind those are estimates off the top of my head, so it may be a tad more or less. But if you look at what you'd have versus blowing $5000+ on a cobra, then another $2500+ on a 360, it's no contest. You'd have one sweet porty, it would obliterate that POS cobra, and you'd have the necessary tools to do your carpet and tile work. Heck, if you're seriously going to spend that much for a cobra and 360, you might as well go get a decent used TM.

Whichever machine you buy make sure you get one that has auto fill and auto dump. I'd say no on the 360 and go with a green horn wand and a 175, I got a Clarke used that still had the plastic on it with a pad driver for $500.
The 175 to prescrub and then an extraction with the green horn wand will out clean a 360 any day of the week. IMO
If your talking spending 5 grand on a porty and 3 grand on a 360 you should look at getting a TM. You will be able to clean twice as fast(which means you make twice as much money) and it looks ALOT more professional to customers many of my customers(mostly commercial customers) ask if I have a truck mount when the call.
With the economy being the way it is there are ALOT of good used TM's out there. I bought my Thermal Wave 5M with 500 hours on it last year for $7500. There are a lot of good deals out there you just have to be patient and look for them.

Walt

Get a Mytee.

3 good reasons

1. Mytee has better bang for the buck
2. Their products are and will continue to made in the US (unlike US Products)
3. I could call and talk to John LaBarbara (the owner) if need be.

1 great reason

1. Mytee has done more for you as a carpet cleaner (I kid you not) than you will ever know.

braddaddy

Wow!! Thank you all for your advise and taking the time to reply. I will certainly use these responses as I now start my search over again. (at least with better info and ideas now)
As far as TM's.... Do the customers mind that you have to run the hoses in their doorways? I would think the summer bugs entering the house because of my hose would be a problem. I have decided to stick with a porty for now as I get started.
Thank you all again!

R

R W

I remember paying $5000 for a Steamway porty in 1988. Also $1500 for a little Giant on a cart, and about $1200 for a 5000 watt generator. I left it in the van, instead of hauling it into the house.

braddaddy said:
Wow!! Thank you all for your advise and taking the time to reply. I will certainly use these responses as I now start my search over again. (at least with better info and ideas now)
As far as TM's.... Do the customers mind that you have to run the hoses in their doorways? I would think the summer bugs entering the house because of my hose would be a problem. I have decided to stick with a porty for now as I get started.
Thank you all again!

Must of us have whats called a door jam, it is a plastic cushion that fills the gap and prevents the a/c in the summer and heat in the winter from getting out. It also makes it so that peoples cats and dogs don't get out it also prevents bugs from coming into the house....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom