Indian Viscose handmade rug

Discussion in 'Rugs and Textiles' started by Sergio, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Sergio
    Sergio

Name:
    Sergio
    Which chemical is more suitable for wash an indian viscose handmade rug?

I have got these:
    ChemSpec Oriental Rug Shampoo
    One Step Fineline for wool Microsplitter
    Prochem Prespray Gold

Thanks
  2. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    before you wash any viscose rug, you want to get the customer to understand the risks. A lot of viscose rugs are virtually uncleanable without doing some textural damage. Any fine fabric detergent will work but use cold water only. Viscose is Rayon, not really a wet cleanable fibre. The viscose tends to clump together when wet and may look completely different when it dries. The clumping or matting is sometimes permanent, not being able to Groom it out. We only clean viscose at the customers risk.
    WillS and Jimmy L like this.
  3. Sergio
    Sergio

Name:
    Sergio
    I'll wash it by hand towel. It's ok?
  4. Sergio
    Sergio

Name:
    Sergio
    [​IMG]

It's the rug
  5. WillS
    WillS

Supportive Member

Name:
    Will
    Only thing I'll ever clean a viscose rug with again is dry compound. Maybe a little little little moisture of whatever cleaning product. Usually an encap or maybe some PC 45 for brightening. Cleanworks is 100% right to tell the customer it could change the way it looks and cleaning it - you are not responsible for any changes. The first one of my partners cleaned started yellowing with to much moisture. Luckily it was a cheapy viscose that we replaced. Every other one I've cleaned, I've vacuumed at the end to try and push the fibers all one way, then took a little water and misted the rug and took a broom to make sure all the fibers were pushed the same way to dry correctly. I've dealt with so many of these now, as soon as I see one I tell the customer, Viscose isn't meant to be cleaned. It's meant to be sold by designers to look pretty and expensive, but isn't feasible for cleaning.
  6. Sergio
    Sergio

Name:
    Sergio
    It's viscose or mercerized cotton?
  7. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    Viscose, which is just another name for rayon. Rayon is usually a dry clean only fibre, meaning no water.
    Sergio likes this.
  8. Sergio
    Sergio

Name:
    Sergio
    What do you think about the pile of this carpet?
    It's Rayon/Viscose or mercerized cotton?
  9. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    No way to tell unless there is a label on it. Doing a burn test will give the same results.
  10. The Great Oz
    The Great Oz

Name:
    bryan
    Might be too late, but the Oriental shampoo will probably work well. Keeping moisture and agitation low is important for either cotton or rayon rugs, and both will bleed easily and dry with a stiff hand. You'll need to do some grooming after the rug is dry.

PS: A USB microscope good enough for fiber inspection can be found for as little as $50. Cotton looks like twisted straw, rayon like pulled glass, silk has striations, linen looks like bamboo.
    ruff likes this.