Is EDIC portable machines any better than Mytee? Or anybody else.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I have 2 Mytee portable extractors and beside a few minor issues, they're good machines. Currently EDIC machines seem to be the flavor of the month.

Looking at the specs and so forth, can somebody tell me (point out) what (and if) makes the EDIC machines better? And for that matter, any other manufacturer.

This is not a thread to trash (or build) any specific manufacturer, just trying to find out practical info for my next purchase.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Vacuums and pumptec pumps for the most part. Mytee has a General option - big amp draw, but great pump. Cat pump? Higher pressure drop when wand keyed than pumptec. Mr Cobb says he has a new cam for them that fixes that. The nice thing about the EDIC is the heater placement outside of the box so the guts don't get cooked.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I liked the Edic for this whole set up.

Edic has two cords. If you dont use heat only 1 cord.

u5esa9us.jpg

This one does not have Auto Fill/PO

Last edited:
Reactions: Foothills Phil

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Let's take Mytee 1005 DX (which I have and also the M-5).- 1-500 Psi pump. 144” of water lift and 230 CFM.

The EDIC- Galxy Pro has equivalent models 1-500 psi. 190 & 210 water lift (they do not specify CFM and if motors are in series or parallel).

All machines come with the option of outside heater (which is a way of trying to avoid problems due to over heating inside) so that's not an advantage of either.
EDIC does come with a nice way to attach to to machine outside- Nice!
Also the opening to fill up the water seem to be larger and easier on the EDIC- Nice again.

Not sure the EDIC with one cord that's supposed to serve the pump and two three stage vacuum is a good idea (if Chris is right.) As it will load the circuit and may require hooking up to two 20 amp circuits to use the heater. That is a challenge for those of us that do not want to start hooking up to drier or oven outlets. Unless EDIC is using a pumps and motors that draw less. If they do, I'd like to know more.

In my experience in S.F. getting the circuits anywhere close to capacity seem to jump them frequently. Also the circuit locator does not always work in older buildings that may not be wired to standards.

If there was a machine proven to be more hardy, reliable, draw less and produce higher CFM, (or lift) I'd be happy to buy it.
Since they all can buy the same motors and pumps, I'd be more inclined to go with the machine that is proven to be hardier and more convenient to work with and load to van. Where more attention was paid towards the little things that actually matter.

So which is, what used to be, the Toyota of portables? :winky:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Have you worked with it yet Chris? Use something like a 2 jet wand, choke the flow down to 1101.5 or even 1101. It keeps the impact up and helps with dry times. Did you get a heater too? Get one if you didn't and you might look at getting a second heater to get the wattage up to burn some fingers. (swap out the disc thermostats to 230- you'll thank me. Selco work the best for me.)

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Not sure the EDIC with one cord that's supposed to serve the pump and two three stage vacuum is a good idea (if Chris is right.) As it will load the circuit and may require hooking up to two 20 amp circuits to use the heater. That is a challenge for those of us that do not want to start hooking up to drier or oven outlets. Unless EDIC is using a pumps and motors that draw less. If they do, I'd like to know more.

I fail to see how any portable machine can deliver higher end performance specs on one cord.

All three stage motors are not equal.

A pair of 3-stage vacs and a pump on one cord tells me that although the vacs are 3-stage, they are most likely low on performance, and that one cord will most likely pull close to 20 amps itself, which is too close for comfort to me.

Most High performance 3 stagers will pull up to 12.5 amps each, and most higher end non-high performance 3-stagers will still pull up to 10 amps each, so I see this as a red flag regarding exactly what vac motors they are using and what their specs are.

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads

In my experience in S.F. getting the circuits anywhere close to capacity seem to jump them frequently. Also the circuit locator does not always work in older buildings that may not be wired to standards.

I've been using my EDIC Galaxy 2000 one cord model for months now. VERY, VERY, VERY rarely have I blown a fuse and then only because I have made the mistake of plugging into the same circuit with a buffer and using it.

You guys argue all you want with the specs and all that. All I can tell you is that it works.

Mikey P

Administrator
I fail to see how any portable machine can deliver higher end performance specs on one cord.

All three stage motors are not equal.

A pair of 3-stage vacs and a pump on one cord tells me that although the vacs are 3-stage, they are most likely low on performance, and that one cord will most likely pull close to 20 amps itself, which is too close for comfort to me.

Most High performance 3 stagers will pull up to 12.5 amps each, and most higher end non-high performance 3-stagers will still pull up to 10 amps each, so I see this as a red flag regarding exactly what vac motors they are using and what their specs are.

This aint a unit to run every and all day Frank.

It's also not one some moron will park in his van and run 150 ft off of and call it a "truckmount".

A small truly PORTABLE machine that one scrawny hillybilly can unload from his mom's Astrovan and get a job done just fine.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I have a 500 psi model that's about 5 years old, I've replaced the vacs (due to sitting I imagine) and I use it every now and again, its not a bad unit but I really don't know what to look for.

EDIC

Name
Rick
Let's take Mytee 1005 DX (which I have and also the M-5).- 1-500 Psi pump. 144” of water lift and 230 CFM.

The EDIC- Galxy Pro has equivalent models 1-500 psi. 190 & 210 water lift (they do not specify CFM and if motors are in series or parallel).

All machines come with the option of outside heater (which is a way of trying to avoid problems due to over heating inside) so that's not an advantage of either.
EDIC does come with a nice way to attach to to machine outside- Nice!
Also the opening to fill up the water seem to be larger and easier on the EDIC- Nice again.

If there was a machine proven to be more hardy, reliable, draw less and produce higher CFM, (or lift) I'd be happy to buy it.
Since they all can buy the same motors and pumps, I'd be more inclined to go with the machine that is proven to be hardier and more convenient to work with and load to van. Where more attention was paid towards the little things that actually matter.

So which is, what used to be, the Toyota of portables? :winky:
Hi Ofer,
I answered a similar question in another thread and I will post it below:

Which reminds me, I need to get you guys Airwatts!

CX-HR Airwatts- 570.8 MAX
FX-HR Airwatts- 910.4 Max

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: ruff and Mikey P

EDIC

Name
Rick
Have you worked with it yet Chris? Use something like a 2 jet wand, choke the flow down to 1101.5 or even 1101. It keeps the impact up and helps with dry times.
Hi Willy P,
You got it! We test and regulate our 500PSI machines on dual jet wands with 11001 jets.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee

Scratchy is 11001's

Need a AW29 Glide now : )

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Thank you Rick.

• Beside Larry Cobb, the consensus here seem to be that two 3 stage vacuums run in parallel using a 50 feet 2" hose and a 12" wand will result in faster drying time (not in series). What is your take on it?

• Knowing that you will put anybody else down, could you tell us what you think makes your machines (design, components, whatever) an excellent choice for our next purchase?

Thanks

EDIC

Name
Rick
Thank you Rick.

• Beside Larry Cobb, the consensus here seem to be that two 3 stage vacuums run in parallel using a 50 feet 2" hose and a 12" wand will result in faster drying time (not in series). What is your take on it?

• Knowing that you will put anybody else down, could you tell us what you think makes your machines (design, components, whatever) an excellent choice for our next purchase?

Thanks

We would never put anybody down. Our focus is not on attacking other manufacturers. Instead we focus our energy on making a great product with integrity and providing the best after sales care possible.
  • We use industry standard components.
  • We have quality checks throughout production.
  • We have a very strict final quality control process with high quality testing equipment that is calibrated quarterly.
  • We do not "batch test" equipment. We do not select a few random machines out of the days production and hope for the best. Every machine we build is gone through with a fine tooth comb.
  • Made in the USA- Los Angeles, CA
  • One of the best warranty's in the industry- hassle free
  • A great customer service team

Those are just a few of the reasons. In the end, we are just trying to make quality equipment that will last a long time and perform well. Tough equipment that any truckmount operator would be proud to have in their arsenal.

Our take is that both water lift and CFM are important and, depending on the situation, that one can be beneficial over another. We take advantage of both series and parallel setups in our line of equipment.

We designed the Galaxy line of extractors to have dual vacs (we have several sub models two stage and three stage) in series and chose to focus on lift.
We felt that a 25 ft hose is more portable than a 50 ft hose and wanted to build around that. A 25 ft hose at 1.5" maximizes air speed at a 12" wand head.

I'll let the board members that own this particular model chime in and give you a better idea on the dry times.

Thank you for the questions!

Last edited:
Reactions: GCCLee

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Thanks

And my apology- Corrected from my original post's typo. I meant "Knowing that you will not put anybody else down".

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
  • We use industry standard components.
  • We have quality checks throughout production.
  • We have a very strict final quality control process with high quality testing equipment that is calibrated quarterly.
  • We do not "batch test" equipment. We do not select a few random machines out of the days production and hope for the best. Every machine we build is gone through with a fine tooth comb.
  • Made in the USA- Los Angeles, CA
  • One of the best warranty's in the industry- hassle free
  • A great customer service team

impressive.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino

Well you can just give up on "trying" to make quality equipment - as you say ... I'd have to say you've "succeeded" in making quality equipment .. I've had my galaxy for about 7 years cleaning commercial carpet .. about 20hrs a month roughly .. and the only issue I had was the pressure regulator silver bullet (plunger) rubber cup ring wore out causing a drip and my pressure gauge stopped working last year and started dripping this last month ..

I thought about replacing the vac motors for best performance but I'm getting great results with the way they are .. the carpet drys in 4-5 hrs .. and I'm going to assume its because the building I clean is very dry .. so I won't be able to accurately gauge dry times on normal conditions

I'm also using a 35ft one and a half in hose

Oh wait - my power cord is all twisted and wrinkled looking - yeah - must be poor workmanship - maybe I shouldn't buy a galaxy - damn cord

EDIC

Name
Rick
Well you can just give up on "trying" to make quality equipment - as you say ... I'd have to say you've "succeeded" in making quality equipment .. I've had my galaxy for about 7 years cleaning commercial carpet .. about 20hrs a month roughly .. and the only issue I had was the pressure regulator silver bullet (plunger) rubber cup ring wore out causing a drip and my pressure gauge stopped working last year and started dripping this last month ..

I thought about replacing the vac motors for best performance but I'm getting great results with the way they are .. the carpet drys in 4-5 hrs .. and I'm going to assume its because the building I clean is very dry .. so I won't be able to accurately gauge dry times on normal conditions

I'm also using a 35ft one and a half in hose

Oh wait - my power cord is all twisted and wrinkled looking - yeah - must be poor workmanship - maybe I shouldn't buy a galaxy - damn cord

Paul,
Thank you for the kind words.

If you did decide to change those vacs, the newer generation motors will give you a nice boost and slightly less amp draw.

Also, I'm not sure of the condition of your recovery tank lid gasket but we've also upgraded that to a better material with more "memory". Replacing that may help create a tighter seal.
Have a great weekend.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo

Can you also give us the lift/CFM numbers on each?
I have yet to jump on the Airwatt bandwagon, and still find the individual lift and CFM specs, and the balance between each, to tell me more about the performance of a vac motor.
One cord or 2, series or paralleled, to each their own.

I guess the most important thing is that EDIC offers enough configurations to suit anyones individual preferences, from those who only need to use a portable on a limited basis, to a balls-to-the-walls porty HACK like myself............:rockon::rockon::rockon:

Last edited:

FredC

Village Idiot
Can you also give us the lift/CFM numbers on each?
I have yet to jump on the Airwatt bandwagon, and still find the individual lift and CFM specs, and the balance between each, to tell me more about the performance of a vac motor.

that is basically what airwatts are...

somewhere there was a hydramaster article that gave a decent explanation...but I can't find it right now

Edit for article:

http://www.icsmag.com/articles/83961

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom