IS IT ETHICAL?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Do you present the bill before or after cleaning?

I always present it right after I measure so the customer can look it over and ask any concerns they might have.

BUT it seems alot of cleaners will do the work and then present the bill.
Then the customer is SHOCKED at the tally.

I do have some regular customers that already know what or a good idea whats its going to cost so there is no problem.

But I think its kind of cheesy to keep customers in the dark and then plop a $800 bill on them.

So just what is the proper way of doing it?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Always at the end, most are repeat customers or have had an estimate, either in person or by phone. Its never been a problem!

You way seems a little defensive, like you expect a complaint. Have you had trouble giving them a bill at the end?

Maybe it's you?

Fred's hair could help, getting a new rug could be your ticket!
:shock:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
No surprises. The customer should know what the job is going to cost before the job starts. But I don't hand them a bill and ask for payment until the job is finished.

Scott Warrington

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
No not defensive at all.

But if you compare to other businesses and they come into your home to do work they always present the "Facts" before they do any work.

Repeat customers know what to expect but new first time customers should be shown up front what the costs are.

On a side note....I couldn't get hold of Ken to cut his face off so I had to go to a local farmer and cut a pig's head and skin it to wear for Halloween.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
have a laptop and porty printer, print it out right there before I start. NO surprises for them or me. Nice clean work order, no scratching out this or that and calculations on the side. Its wowed all but one in 4yrs. He never hired me anyway, price shopper.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
First time customers usually want an on site estimate or at least a ball park.

So are they calling you without first asking a price?

Pig's face....are you going as Super Marty?

danpauselius

I always do a quote first. Print it out of the truck and hand it to them. At that point, they will either say "do it", "When can you do it?" or "I'll get back to you".

I hand them the invoice once all work has been completed and the truck is packed up.

p.s. If I upsell something while on the job, I just let them know verbally how much extra that service will be. Then adjust the invoice accordingly.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Always price the job before cleaning. Even when they leave a blank check I always call them at work with the amount before the work begins.

No surprises!!

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
what kind of person would allow someone to do any service work for them without knowing a price beforehand?

i give quotes beforehand like most here, but the ppl that get shafted...don't ya think they're learning a valuable le$$on?

thanx --- Derek.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
SOMETIMES....i make them PAY me first...........!

If they're moving OUT...I generally give them the bill and stand there till they pay me!

TimP

I measure and present a total price. Some will write me a check right then. But I always ask them to walk through and see if they are happy with the results. Then I pull my hoses out and pack up and tell them I'm finished. They get the picture and write me a check. If they are moving out I have decided cash only unless I know them and how they pay.

The Preacher

it's easier to boyle a pig head, than it is to skin one!!! haven't you ever made hogs head cheese??? have MArdy send ya some when he has his next pig kill'n!!!

G

mICKie gets the custys bank acct number and transfers the funds to his numbered acct in the Caymans before the Vortex leaves his driveway...

-JB-

Name
JB
As a rule, I always offer totals before hand, only cause that's the way I would like to be treated. Cause we all know what a treat it is to go to the mechanic to pick up ur truck for a ________ and get the bill that's $ XXX higher that you expected cause they had to fix/replace/adjust the ________ while they were at it.

Funny story..

Had a "well to do" guy a few years ago, could'nt be bothered to let me calculate and tally the measurements to give him an accurate total, so he says,

"Will $850. cover it?" as carefree as could be.

"Sure it will, but don't you want the total first?"

"No, that'll be fine."

Well, as long as were in a spendy mood...
"Would you like Scotchgard applied?"

"How much is it?"

"Only about 20% of the cleaning cost."

"So, will $1200. cover it?"

"Sure will!"

Fast forward three years...

He calls us asking about the FIRST bill, (we had been back several times since) wanted to know what it was for, as he lost his, and was now being audited by the IRS! He wasn't so jolly that time. :lol:

G

I always present it right after I measure so the customer can look it over and ask any questions & concerns they might have.

:D

CleanEvo

My customers always know the price before I do the job.

Why would I even want to waste my time just to find out the customer has an issue with my $79 whole house special?

If I gotta do it for $49 bucks, I'd rather know right away so I don't waste time grooming.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
If you were so concerned what it is going to cost, why would you not ask for a quote or a ballpark? If they don't ask, I give the bill upon completion.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
When I worked at "Elite" Cleaning company, I found some people were very offended when I mentioned price. I was confused, I was (at first) sent on the lower ticket jobs, and always got the 3rd degree about the prices, then I start serving our high-end clients, who have 4000sq ft of carpeting, and I try to total it up and tell them... And they are offended. "Whatever you want to charge is fair, I just need it done."

Don't even blink at a thousand bucks.... I couldn't understand it... I would spend all day getting yelled at about $200....

G

I would never start any job without the homeowner knowing how much it is going to cost. I don't care how many times I have cleaned for them. You are looking for problems if you clean first and then give the price.

Dave

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
i have a friend who cleans homes for a living. she just learned the valuable lesson of giving prices beforehand:

client is a snowbird - family goes to Brazil for winter. this time they moved down for good. sold 5,000 sq,ft, home (decent size in this area) and had my friend "totally clean it before we sell it". didn't want a price, "just do it and charge whatever."

her and her husband took 35 total man hours to clean it and she sent a bill to Brazil for a measly $900.

the lady calls up and is appalled by the price. one month later, still hasn't received payment.

ouch! --- Derek.

Becker

Name
Becker
All customers know the total before I even open the back doors to my van.

Some repeats know the drill, so if they are not home no big deal, if it is a new client and they are not there I call or text them before starting work.

No surprises.!

Al

Existing clients if they ask new clients should get a price upfront.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
every client knows how much it will be before I even get there........

if there are issues that they did not tell us about (even though we ask)
like pet or red stain problems I always let them know in advance.

I always have them sign the work order before I start working .to acknowledge the price and that I have told them to keep there clumsy butts away from my hoses....and watch out for slippery floors.......

This covers all bases and never have I had a problem or a question........

Josh Adler

I always let the customer know the price BEFORE you start the cleaning. I also have them sign that they ordered it before i start and i have them sign after we do a walk thru at the end of the job saying that they have inspected and accepted the work being done

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom