Is my engine about to die?

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Yes, the plenum gasket... I have read about this already and that might be my problem. I do not really have a noticeable power loss. But I have also been taking it easy on the trottle to avoid the pinging. Fuel use is normal and oil consumption maybe up a little but not extreme.
What do you mean by heater controls going crazy on long grades?
I just did an oil change and had the 205 thermostat taken out again and replaced with the 195 that is supposed to be in the truck. As I was driving home ( a longer grade) the temp still went up to 210. Something is not right. I'll have to take the truck to have someone check it out for that gasket. I'm just not sure where to.
There is only one Dodge dealer close to me, I have called them numerous times to get info on possible computer updates but I only get the girl at the reception, she put's my call through to service but nobody has ever answered the phone there. I left two messages and have not gotten a call back.
Not very trust inspiring...

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
BTW that e bay listing for the plate is expired but a company called Hughes Engines sells them ( for more money)

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Interesting thread, thanks for keeping it up. Lots of possibilities to run down so I can see how a mechanic might focus on past experience to shortcut the diagnosis. Let us know the final fix.

We bought Ford vans that idled terribly from new, spent a good deal of time at different dealership shops to figure out why, and finally a guy came out "from Ford" and pronounced the idle normal. When we sold them years later my brother bought one. He called the next day to ask why we'd removed the throttle-body riser, cuz the truck idles terribly without it.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
So after the oil change and Seafoam treatment, and also reinstalling the 195 thermostat the truck is running better. My mechanic put the truck on the scope and when he looked at the timing it indicated that sometimes it was advanced a bit then neutral then retarded. Ha said that was a sign that everything was normal. I'm hesitant to really stomp on the gas pedal to see if I still get preingition, because right now after spending almost 4000.- on a blower I really can't afford any more repairs.
I did find a discussion on line about the preignition where someone posted a diagram about the routing of the spark plug wires. I'll be making those changes in the next week sometime.
I did call the Dodge dealer again and still didn't get to talk to anyone other than the reception girl. I won't be calling there anymore.

J

JS41035

The whole Hagopian new butler every 5 or 6 years idea is starting to sound a little smarter eh? I know I just put a new crate engine in a 99 pro 2000. After all the money and hassle. I realize why some people get rid of them and get new. Not that everyone can. But that's the way to go if you have the work.

Reactions: Becker

D Rice

Name
Doug Rice
Take the air cleaner off and open the throttle plate on the carb. Shine a light down into the intake and if you see oil at the bottom the plenum plate/gasket is leaking. 10 minute job and you can do it yourself.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom