Is O2 wool safe?

Walt

I haven't tried it yet. And would be very hesitant to do so, but... would you?

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Are you talking about water O2……… or oxygen bleach like peroxide H2O2 :?

All bleaches & reducers are destructive on a molecular level but they can be used on undamaged wool at 5% or less above that there are substantial damage to peptide bonds and alterations to chromospheres

Greenie

At it's lowest dilution it's pH is about 7 to 7.5 I would use it on wool without hesitation.

Ask the Kiwis what pH they clean dirty filthy wool at, and have for decades?

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Greenie said:
At it's lowest dilution it's pH is about 7 to 7.5

Yes, but it needs to be pushed alkaline 8-9 to be effective as a bleach

I guess most of you don’t know this but so it’s worth saying ….The simple process of wet cleaning is a non reversible, chemically altering destructive process, as is bleaching. Every time you wash wool it’s altered on a molecular level usually at an imperceptible rate same is true with bleaches and spotting products.

Perhaps a good comparison is UV damage it doesn’t manifest in a day, week rather moths and years with damage taking place all the time the material is exposed to UV light it simply happens on a molecular level at an imperceptible rate.

The trade off is that soils are more destructive than the wash process and then there's the hygiene issue.

Walt

Nice post Randy. I didn't know that, but it sure makes a lot of sense.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Yes, oxidizers can damage wool fiber, as well as damage dyes in most fibers. The dilution you use, whether you boost it with other chemicals and how long you leave it in contact with the wool will affect whether the damage is serious or unnoticable.

You can clean wool using a product with a pH of 12 if it isn't buffered and you rinse it right away. Make a mistake and you're in trouble though.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Not that I think wool safe is the end all for wool I pulled from their site criteria for wool cleaning formulations …It would be nice if the people at wool safe knew how to spell oxidizing…LOL

“The following characteristics of the different types of product are evaluated:
(a) Cleaning Products
That no oxidising or reducing agents are present, which may cause bleaching or alteration of carpet colours”

http://www.woolsafe.org/cleanprodsupppassfail.htm

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Randy,
If you think the Brits spell funny you ought to hear how they pronounce words like "schedule.

"
rhyde said:
Not that I think wool safe is the end all for wool I pulled from their site criteria for wool cleaning formulations …It would be nice if the people at wool safe knew how to spell oxidizing…LOL

“The following characteristics of the different types of product are evaluated:
(a) Cleaning Products
That no oxidising or reducing agents are present, which may cause bleaching or alteration of carpet colours”

http://www.woolsafe.org/cleanprodsupppassfail.htm

Greenie

Some Yanks think Aluminium is spelled Aluminum, and they ever pronounce it incorectly as well. Ignorance is everywhere.8)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom