Is Waste Water Getting Stinkier??

R

R W

Man, it just seems that carpet waste water is a lot more noticable now than years ago. I was walking out of the nursing home where my Mom stays, and the first thing that hit me was that familular stench! Sure enough, right around the corner was a local cleaner dumping on the lawn. When I get in the van in the morning, the smell hits me right away. Even when I pump into a sanitary sewer, that smell still fills the air. I don't clean out the tank every night, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

Or maybe my nose is more sensitive at my ripe age....

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
RW...i read somewhers that the human body(depending on size) SHEDS approx 35-40 lbs of dED skin cells a year......now depending on how many people are in the house and their personal hygiene habits.........that can add up to a LOT of dED skin cells...that wind up in yor waste tank......
not to speak of the snot..boogers and OTHER body fluids that may be present!

and i NEVER clean out my waste tank....until the coins are up to the waste tank shutoff..........level!

Able 1

Name
Keith
danielc said:
Go to the carwash and use the high pressure hose to clean out your tank. This should be done weekly.

I tried that once.. and got shit all over my face and the ceiling or my van.. :oops: :x How do you clean it out with high pressure without it getting all over the van?

Able 1 said:
danielc said:
Go to the carwash and use the high pressure hose to clean out your tank. This should be done weekly.

I tried that once.. and got shit all over my face and the ceiling or my van.. :oops: :x How do you clean it out with high pressure without it getting all over the van?

Try using your hydroforce with some cleaner (dish detgergent) mixed lightly and turn the pressure up to about 600-800 psi and that should clean the tank out pretty good. The car wash is faster and better though. You will still need to take a brillo pad or brush and scrub the areas you can't get to with the hydroforce. When I clean my truck I take everything out and hose the floor off real good and then clean the tanks and then rinse the floor again. I am very particular about having a clean truck. Just don't do this to a backup van that you aren't planning on using for a few days. If you do you will need to make sure it is dried out properly. I have a roll on bedliner and a rubber mat on top of that which makes cleaning the van out easier. Normally in Memphis with the weather so hot the van will dry in a couple hours though.

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
I just rinse out my tank with a garden house every once in a while. if some times goes by and it stinks then pray a coupe spritzes of odorcide into the vac hose while the machine is running.

S

Sweet William

We use half a botttle of ammonia, non sudsing, in the tank in the morning if things are stinky. Knocks ordor out pretty quickly after you drive around for a couple of miles. I have also used an enzyme digestor with the same results, but the ammonia is less money.....only $2.29 for 1/2 gallon container if memory serves me correctly when purchased at our local Winn-Dixie super market.

Bill in central Florida

charles

I skipped rinsing out the waste tank maybe two times in nine years, and payed for it the next morning. Nasty.
At the end of each day, I rinse the waste tank with garden hose and spray in a little odo-ban.

Brian L

Name
Brian L
I used to hose out the tank at the end of each day, now as I am getting lazy in my old age it is more like once a week. On the weekend I take the lids off the tank and open all windows and the side door of the van and let the tank dry out completely.

I run water through the vac hose at the end of each job to clean out any gunk floating around there as well.

No stink.

Torn

Name
Chris Thomas
I use about 1 gallon of enzymes and mix it with water and let it sit in my waste tank every few months for a day or as long as I can. It works well for me. I think that being exposed to soaps and funk for many years sometimes makes your sense of smell go hyper. Odors and strong chemicals start to bother you more.

R

R W

Walrus said:
Upon further investigation I found out the stink was coming from my van seat.

:shock:

I believe Jimmy has the right answer.........sometimes my motherin law sits in that seat, hence the ....odor!

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
People's homes are "dirtier" than ever.

I don't know that it applies to your question Bob, but people are eating and drinking in their homes more than they have in decades. And spilling and vomiting in proportion.

You'll also see that pets that are being treated even more indulgently than ever. Animals that were "put to sleep" at the first sign of illness now are being given treatment that costs thousands and even tens of thousands of dollars to keep them alive. Such pets are often incontinent.

Before you paint me cruel, I am a pet owner and two of my most respected friends here (Terje and Lisa) go the extra mile for their pets too.

But it is a fact.

Add to that the fact that we are caring for aging and ill parents in the home (often for years or even decades) as personal care home cost skyrocket, all of which lead to the conclusion that there is A LOT MORE STUFF in the carpets that we clean, and our service is more important than ever.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Demonstrated a truck mount at one several years ago.

Haven't eaten at one since

R

R W

Captain Cleantastic said:
You don't know what stink is until you clean Red Lobster.

Ah....Chinese resturants rank right up there on the waste water stink-o-meter!

Chris A

Name
Chris
When we do foreclosure work, I'll combe back to the house and dump, usually takes 5 seconds for the SLUDGE to start flowing out of the dump valve.

Torn

Name
Chris Thomas
Yesterday first job of the day. I fire up old betsy and my exhaust went straight in the front door and stunk out the whole house. Yea, I do this for a living.........

Name
Nate W.
A local cleaner has a gift for making gadgets to make his job easier. Basically, he took a spinner like your tile tool but just the swivel part and mounted it about 4" (if I remember correctly) off the bottom of the waste tank. At the end of everyday, he just hooks up the water/solution hose and lets it spin for about 2 minutes to clean the tank.

I'm looking at doing the same, but mounting mines on the lid and spraying down. I use an old (Studerbaker design) external filterbox with a pumpout in it.

And like it's been said before, dump your tanks everyday and leave your lids off to atleast air it out. :lol:

Something like this

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1HLW4

But you get my drift.

steve r

i park my van on an incline so all the water can be drained.i also use a lot of disinfectants due to all the pet problems i run into.

R W said:
Man, it just seems that carpet waste water is a lot more noticable now than years ago. I was walking out of the nursing home where my Mom stays, and the first thing that hit me was that familular stench! Sure enough, right around the corner was a local cleaner dumping on the lawn. When I get in the van in the morning, the smell hits me right away. Even when I pump into a sanitary sewer, that smell still fills the air. I don't clean out the tank every night, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

Or maybe my nose is more sensitive at my ripe age....

stop farting in the hose!

G

A few years ago I was cleaning out my waste tank and this little fat kid came riding by on his bike a few times and then he finally stops and he says, "Hi, Mr. Wood. You guys Bar-B-Qing dinner tonight?" I said, "No. Why do you ask?" And then the kid started sniffing the air and he says, "Something smells GOOD!"

The smell about had me gagging but the kid liked the smell! I said, "You like that, huh?" "Oh yeah, that smells GOOD!"

:lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom