I've been thinking about designing a wand again...

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
StanleyWands.jpg

StanleyGripClose.jpg

G

Help using machine shop equipment

How do you find these wands work? Who manufactured them, and how long ago.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
They're made by Stanley Steemer, for Stamley Steemer.

And every guy I know who's worked for Stanley, does his best to get his hands on one of those wands. Stanley sells them used, like they sell their systems used, from time to time.

Ask Scott Rogers. He won't use anything but. In fact, the pictures you see are of his wands.

Rex Tyus

I saw a knock off S bend version made of titanium at a suppliers shop once. The price rivaled a Prochem Ti. I think I will stick wit me Greenhorn for now.

G

Help using machine shop equipment

We have a new design of a wand, which is not a million miles from what you posted, except we have given them a more modern approach.

Greenie

I doubt an American is assembling wands in any chinese speaking country.

Besides, why would I risk my reputation, and the dissatisfaction of my customers on a critical tool they they use daily to put food on the table when I can have a good tool made here locally?

G

Wand Design

Thats why I pointed out that I know wands are being made not in China however I was talking to someone today and they pointed out that infact a certain company is having some wand and hand tools made in China but also makes them in USA , but most are from another part of Asia, where I have personally seen them made

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
I have a Stainley steamer wand... Im Five foot seven inches tall, and It is VERY hard to use because I have to hold the wand very high up to make it latch on to the carpet.

Like it was designed for a 7ft tall guy :|

Otherwise I LOVE the wand, it really prevails on commercial glue down.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Ashley:

The shaft of the SS wand is designed to be cut to fit your height. Ideally, you should be able to hold your trigger hand at hip level when using the wand. If that's not the case, then, remove the shaft from one end, cut it and re-insert it.

Duane

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Duane Oxley said:
Ashley:

The shaft of the SS wand is designed to be cut to fit your height. Ideally, you should be able to hold your trigger hand at hip level when using the wand. If that's not the case, then, remove the shaft from one end, cut it and re-insert it.

Duane

Thanks Duane, What is the best method to remove the tube inserted in to the handle?

Is it brazed/welded?

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
No, it's a glue that's not permanent. It's more of a sealer, like plumber's putty.

Heat it up with a torch and it will loosen. It's a tight fit, so you'll need to put the shaft in a vice and tap on the head with a rubber mallet to disassemble it.

Cut it to desired length and de- burr it, then put a small amount of sealer on both parts and put them back together.

TimP

I have a good question after seeing those wands.

Why is it known that stanley steamer franchises leave the carpet wet for 3 days (not all technicians but I hear it often) when they have angled jets and a 56 blower in their truck???

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Duane Oxley said:
No, it's a glue that's not permanent. It's more of a sealer, like plumber's putty.

Heat it up with a torch and it will loosen. It's a tight fit, so you'll need to put the shaft in a vice and tap on the head with a rubber mallet to disassemble it.

Cut it to desired length and de- burr it, then put a small amount of sealer on both parts and put them back together.

Thanks for the help Duane!

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
TimP said:
I have a good question after seeing those wands.

Why is it known that stanley steamer franchises leave the carpet wet for 3 days (not all technicians but I hear it often) when they have angled jets and a 56 blower in their truck???

You should see the way some of there New guys clean. And thats usually the case, someone gets a guy who's been on the job 2 weeks and is already by himself.

I used to live at an apt complex that used SS, the apt next to mine was empty and saw some newbie SS guy cleaning (Walked in said I was a maintenance guy lol) not only was the machine running at IDLE, but he had almost EVERY piece of vac hose on the truck hooked up and put in a big pile in front of the door.

he only needed like 80ft to the farthest end of the apt, and I noticed the pressure was turned WAYYYY up leaving huge wet streaks in the carpet and not even attempting to do dry passes.

So thats why ppl get real wet carpet with SS... or ANY hack ccer out there.

On the other hand ive seen some SS jobs ive been VERY impressed with!

Greenie

Just for the record, those are 4 jet older style SS wands, most of the franchises I've talked with including Corporate, use the new horseshoe split 6 jet model you see in the commercials, they do not have Angled jets.

As for wet carpet, once you know that a SS 6 jet wand has 80 0067 jets (yes you read that right, as in 2/3 of an 01 jet) then you realize why the techs are cranking up the pressure, 6 - 0067 jets = 04 total flow on a 14" wand.

The poor bastards are just trying desperately to get some water on the carpet, unfortunately no one explained to them that tiny jets at 1000 psi do a good job on tile but not carpet, all penetrating and no rinsing. Hence...extended dry times and pressure marking, all the dry passes in the world won't help.

Cousin

Duane and Greenie, if a 2.5" wand (tubing) is on the cards, it would have to have a separate 'hand grip' with a trigger on it, and most likely on top, as you point out Greenie.

The Stanley wands are of that idea, but as you say too top heavy as a result.

It needs a clever designer to discard the ideas we as carpet cleaners would come up with, and venture into new territory.

Something that allows us to go to 2.5" (if that's the direction we are to go in), but gives it an easy grip to reduce the strain, particularly on the wrists.

As well as having the ability to adjust height (say a 3" to 4") so you can fit the wand to your height. This will take the strain off the elbow if it's sitting right.

And a grip that fits the hand properly, so it can be gripped all day long with little hand fatigue and strain.

I have come across plenty of older carpet cleaners that have stuffed hands, wrists and elbows due to poorly designed wands that compound the effects of repetition of using the wand all day.

Again, the Stanley wand sort of has the idea, but is ham fisted and agricutural.

It needs someone that thinks totally different.

M

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
I already have some ideas about it that have been "brewing" over the last several weeks. Once I've fine- tuned the Xcel, I'll start putting the ideas to paper, refine them, then make a prototype.

This will take a while. Generally, I do new chemical projects in the winter. The wand project will probably be in with that "batch" this time, if not sooner. But I see it as an early Springtime release.

Greenie

I'm with Duane, I'll probbaly make a few, but it's a winter project, currently we haven't refined the 2" and high flow wand head to it's potential, there is still room. I firmly believe the advantages of a 2.5" wand will be much less than the negatives of such a beast, and not so much the wand it's self but the 2.5" hose connected to it.

If a guy can get carpet "meter" dry in 45 mins. with 2" technology coupled to a 2.5" hose, is there much need for a larger wand? Or just a more efficient wand design?

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Greenie said:
If a guy can get carpet "meter" dry in 45 mins. with 2" technology coupled to a 2.5" hose, is there much need for a larger wand? Or just a more efficient wand design?

Hmmmm...

I'm a bit befuddled on the above... I've had people tell me that with a Predator Unleashed, they consistently get 2 hour dry times, using a 1.5" wand and no glide. So, I don't see it a stretch to be able to get under an hour with 2" hose and well- designed wand, with glide technology.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Maybe the perfect wand is to cross the Greenhorn with the Ti, breed that to the Evolution crossed with the Bently.

First and formost is keeping the Greenhorn 5 jet patern, spacing, position, angles, and at least the side plates to control overspray if not fully enclose the jets in a heat chamber . Add the light weight of the Ti wand. Make the wand air flow friendly like the Evolution. Make the sides of the wand with a little more angle like the Bently or Steam Way so you can get under cabinets better, and make the swivel of the Bently an option. Keep the two inch tube of course. Perhaps a choice of a straight or a bend style as each has their advantages when cleaning under things, in tight spots, or using on stairs. Low profile is a good thing for the head.

Would this be an expensive wand? Would there be a market for it because of cost? Would it be cheaper to buy two or three wands and just keep switching them out when needed?

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
doug heifferman told me about a wand with jets all around it and separate triggers. It was the perfect wand for carpet cleaners who jetted forward and backward strokes. Nobody liked the design and he lost his life savings.

Make sure you make it different enough, but not so different that the old dogs can't get used to the new trick of it.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
That was likely Gary Summers who is a competitor in my town. It was an idea that was ok, but in practice it was a little extra work with two hands on the wand at all times in order to make it clean in both directions since it had two triggers. It also did not have the advantages of other wands for cleaning performance, something few cleaners consider because other factors enter into their minds that seem more important.

Another idea would be to just have the one section of spray jets surounded by vacuum all around instead of the the jets surrounding the vacuum, but I imagine the weight might come into play and also be more costly.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I think that is called the zipper. It's the new take on a drag wand. (Two sections of vacuum around the outside of the jets.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom