John's (Too) Hot Heat Exchangers

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
The exhaust HX in my little PowerClean Freedom 47 was leaking. It was the third blown PC HX in that mochine, so I wanted to try another brand. Called John's, which is TTI Custom Fabrication, since John's passing a couple years ago. Spoke to Don, who was John's right hand man. He explained how their HXs are more efficient and durable and rebuildable, so I gave him $1200 (including 3-day air to the opposite coast), up front with a promise of 7-10 business days to shipping, because they're all custom-built. Told him mine might be fixin to blow,so he had it on the truck in four days!

This HX is HOT and gets there FAST! Easily 30 degrees hotter than stock.

Difference between TTI's and others:

Almost twice as many exhaust tubes running through the water jacket makes it more efficient; it captures more heat from the engine. The exhaust from the machine is noticeably cooler.

The tubes extend a quarter-inch beyond the internal walls, making it much easier to repair, if ever necessary.

Heavier, 316 stainless throughout.

Last edited:

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Good to know. How many hours on the Freedom? No problems "yet" with the exchangers on my Victory. I don't doubt that TTI" would be much more efficient. I saw a picture one time of a bisected PowerClean heat exchanger and was surprised at how crude it was.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Good to know. How many hours on the Freedom? No problems "yet" with the exchangers on my Victory. I don't doubt that TTI" would be much more efficient. I saw a picture one time of a bisected PowerClean heat exchanger and was surprised at how crude it was.

3131 hrs. On the machine.

Last edited:

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
The exhaust HX in my little PowerClean Freedom 47 was leaking. It was the third blown PC HX in that mochine, so I wanted to try another brand. Called John's, which is TTI Custom Fabrication, since John's passing a couple years ago. Spoke to Don, who was John's right hand man. He explained how their HXs are more efficient and durable and rebuildable, so I gave him $1200 (including 3-day air to the opposite coast), up front with a promise of 7-10 business days to shipping, because they're all custom-built. Told him mine might be fixin to blow,so he had it on the truck in four days!

This HX is HOT and gets there FAST! Easily 30 degrees hotter than stock.

Difference between TTI's and others:

Almost twice as many exhaust tubes running through the water jacket makes it more efficient; it captures more heat from the engine. The exhaust from the machine is noticeably cooler.

The tubes extend a quarter-inch beyond the internal walls, making it much easier to repair, if ever necessary.

Heavier, 316 stainless throughout.

So it is a tube in shell hx?

I thought they liked doing coil hx.

Any pics?

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
So it is a tube in shell hx?

I thought they liked doing coil hx.

Any pics?

The blower and the engine coolant HXs are coils. Exhaust HX is tubes in shell.

Didn't take a pic before I installed it. Exterior looks much like stock. You can see the internals on the TTI website (hotheatexchangers.com).

Last edited:

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Was going to repair the old HX and add it to the new one. But there's not much more engine exhaust heat to capture. The blower exhaust is hotter than the exhaust from the TTI HX.

Last edited:

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Don can covert a TNT to run fully on their HX units. It was going to be somewhere around 2500-4000 to have the TM shipped down there than shipped back, custom work, etc etc. I thought of doing it at one point, especially now w/ 2 TNT's.

I'm done w/ little giants.

Reactions: Larry Cobb

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Don can covert a TNT to run fully on their HX units. It was going to be somewhere around 2500-4000 to have the TM shipped down there than shipped back, custom work, etc etc. I thought of doing it at one point, especially now w/ 2 TNT's.

I'm done w/ little giants.

Their Simplicity TMs look like TNTs with HXs. Wonder if they actually sold any Big Daddys.

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
i use 2 larger 3k psi built exchangers and also bought 2 coolant exchangers i havnt added yet

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
I have a powerclean xt45. I agree the heat exchangers are very crude. I am a little surprised that it went bad though, it is made from very heavy guage stainless. I also have some old heat exchangers from a some big powerclean unit. these are the same diameter but 3.5 feet long. again very crude with only 4 internal tubes running through them. tti custom has 20 i think.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Their Simplicity TMs look like TNTs with HXs. Wonder if they actually sold any Big Daddys.
I talked to them about it before buying the 870. Way to much power for the blower they were spinning. From what he told me they spinning it to slow and having problems. They now run the engine at a higher speed but burn a lot more fuel. The engine really isn't matched properly. Cool to look at.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom