Kubota Diesel engines (good or bad)?

Total_Rookie

Name
Joseph Torrez
Hows the dependability of the diesel version Prochem Apex or like models? I'm strongly leaning to a sprinter and now deciding on what slide in to choose.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
If you go with a diesel Sprinter, then it makes sense to go with a diesel Apex. Repairs and maintenance are more but fuel is less. You want to figure out the difference in fuel mileage from comparable vehicles. I have older vehicles and used to have a Ford van with a large gas engine that was costing me about $1,000 to $1.2oo per month in fuel. I switched to a Volkswagen diesel and it usually costs me $5-600 per month. Easy $6,000 per year savings but because it is an older vehicle, I have to put a lot back in repairs. A new vehicle should save a lot in the first few years.

Reactions: Total_Rookie

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I strongly suggest you look at what it costs to maintain a diesel

$250+ oil changes for example

I have Sprinters and Diesel TMs-- 1 Kubota and 2 Isuzu.
Oil changes is simple and I do it myself--- takes only 15 minutes if the oil/engine is hot.---several hours if not.
I don't use Synthetic oils because it has been my experience that the engine will run hotter with them.

Think twice before buying the Sprinter--- needed new transmission at about 65K miles. brakes at about 10-12k miles.
Key ignitions have malfunctioned leaving me stranded in customers driveway -- once was for 4 days because it was after 5pm Friday on a long holiday weekend-- customer wasn't happy and couldn't use his driveway.

The problem with diesels is the vibrations and the soot.

my next setup will be a Promaster or Transit with an SS870 or Everest HP----

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
If you go with a diesel Sprinter, then it makes sense to go with a diesel Apex. Repairs and maintenance are more but fuel is less. You want to figure out the difference in fuel mileage from comparable vehicles. I have older vehicles and used to have a Ford van with a large gas engine that was costing me about $1,000 to $1.2oo per month in fuel. I switched to a Volkswagen diesel and it usually costs me $5-600 per month. Easy $6,000 per year savings but because it is an older vehicle, I have to put a lot back in repairs. A new vehicle should save a lot in the first few years.

Our fuel use is about 6-9 gallons of diesel per day to operate the TM and Van. We rarely drive long distances-

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I had a diesel sprinter and Apex.
The 14 quarts oil change on the sprinter wasn't cheap. The Kubota engine is very powerful and dependable, quite an amazing workhorse.
Vibrations are somewhat of an issue. I had no problem with soot as I exhausted the Kubota under and outside the van. Diesel engines run cooler, so the heat will be a little less.

The issue I had was the diesel's smell. No matter how far I parked the van if conditions were right, the wind will tunnel the smell inside the home I was cleaning and it was quite strong. Hated it. I assume Seal a Door may help, but still the smell would get in through windows and any openings etc. Unpleasant!

Last edited:

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
I had a small Kubota diesel tractor which had the small engine being used and it was great in a tractor...but... Ofer's point about the smell is a very good one. Definitely going to get lower heat from the engine so not sure if they have figured out how to make the heat up by capturing heat elsewhere.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
I had a diesel sprinter and Apex.
The 14 gal oil change on the sprinter wasn't cheap. The Kubota engine is very powerful and dependable, quite an amazing workhorse.
Vibrations are somewhat of an issue. I had no problem with soot as I exhausted the Kubota under and outside the van. Diesel engines run cooler, so the heat will be a little less.

14 Gallons for oil change!!?--'
Either you ment 14 Quarts Or your were dealing with My dishonest dealer Machanic. :hopeless:

Ours are exhausted under the van and towards the back- but the radiator van may be sucking that exhaust back into the van. Keeping the air filter clean helps with the soot.

Seal-Door is great and will help at keeping the fumes out.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
No DEF for the small engines yet?

not yet... It seems that the engines "fall through the cracks" in regulations... TMs are off road but not self propelled.. also regulations start at 4 small engines in a fleet.

I wonder which has less impact on the environment-- a diesel which uses less fuel or a gas which uses more fuel?

Reactions: Mikey P

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
In our business, I see no need to spend extra on a Diesel engine. Spending extra for a liquid cooked vs air cooled unleaded is smart, but diesel... nah

Reactions: Papa John

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Ask Dan Gardner. I just know they do.
I assume it is due to difference between the way gas engine converts gas to energy and diesel does.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
A gallon of gas is about 120-124,000 btu's and diesel is about 138,000 btu's. You get a bigger explosion in the combustion chamber for the amount of fuel used, so you would think there would be more heat.

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
The issue I had was the diesel's smell. No matter how far I parked the van if conditions were right, the wind will tunnel the smell inside the home I was cleaning and it was quite strong. Hated it. I assume Seal a Door may help, but still the smell would get in through windows and any openings etc
The smell is not necessarily a bad thing. When you smell it in the house you know that you are parked wrong. If it was just carbon monoxide you wouldn't smell it and you could die.
Consider the smell a safety device that is telling you that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom