Laying hoses across the sidewalk..

Name
I'm Rick James
I had DOT walk up to my job site I was at yesterday. He stopped in his little Prius because he thought we left our hoses unattended as it layed across the sidewalk. As it violates the ADA law.

It was dumb luck that I had a helper that day and that I told him to stay with the van to watch the hoses because it was a semi busy sidewalk and didnt want to chance someone tripping on them. But what are the odds... I have cleaned over 10,000 jobs and never once been approched by DOT. Vast majority of the time they are left unattended, but with safety cones.

What do you guys do in regards to this law, not everyone has a driveway. The only company i recall addressing this law was Bob Foster if I remember right.

http://www.bikewalk.org/pdfs/sopada_fhwa.pdf

Bob Foster

I've suggested to John Labarbera to manufacture a bright-colored legally compliant fold and storable "sidewalk bridge" suitable for a couple of 2.5 hoses and solution lines and have the bridge double as a ramp to unload and load equipment into a van.

Never heard a response back...

I would never leave hoses across a pubic walk unless it was later at night or on a very quiet residential street. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen not to mention old people who fall have glass hips and they break real easy.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
puscifeR said:
I had DOT walk up to my job site I was at yesterday. He stopped in his little Prius because he thought we left our hoses unattended as it layed across the sidewalk. As it violates the ADA law.

It was dumb luck that I had a helper that day and that I told him to stay with the van to watch the hoses because it was a semi busy sidewalk and didnt want to chance someone tripping on them. But what are the odds... I have cleaned over 10,000 jobs and never once been approched by DOT. Vast majority of the time they are left unattended, but with safety cones.

What do you guys do in regards to this law, not everyone has a driveway. The only company i recall addressing this law was Bob Foster if I remember right.

http://www.bikewalk.org/pdfs/sopada_fhwa.pdf
If I remember, someone on this board had to purchase a gizmo that took the hoses up and over the sidewalk. It might have been in San Fran?? I will be running hoses over a sidewalk in downtown tomorrow morning, and I use cones, wrap my hoses in bright orange chamois, and generally keep an eye on the setup. I think I will be building a ramp that I can run the hoses under for future use.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
this is all we have to do..............

IMG_5228.jpg

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
In San Francisco they started handing $600.00 fines a few years ago, as it violates the Americans with disabilities act. It also enabled our hungry/starving off duty policemen to collect overtime and make ends meet.)

In addition every municipality, as of course San Francisco had to do, could make it even tougher than what the federal law requires.

There were previous threads on this.

Here in S.F. the issue is that to follow the law you either have to put a huge ramp with rails + funnel all sidewalk traffic to it (yep- Crazy!) Or run it above the sidewalk (yep- with all the hills here, even crazier.)

What most do is use that obnoxious yellow ramp and cones (hey John Le Barbera, what's up with a better ramp?) or if possible run above the side walk. Or what you did, which is leave a person by it, to warn the blind, help the infirm and give candies to small children.

Who knows, maybe we can work a deal with a local dentists. :p

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Where's that video of that boob who made a funny pole contraption to lift the hoses over the side walk and back down the other side?

Name
I'm Rick James
Bob Foster said:
I've suggested to John Labarbera to manufacture a bright-colored legally compliant fold and storable "sidewalk bridge" suitable for a couple of 2.5 hoses and solution lines and have the bridge double as a ramp to unload and load equipment into a van.

Never heard a response back...

I would never leave hoses across a pubic walk unless it was later at night or on a very quiet residential street. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen not to mention old people who fall have glass hips and they break real easy.

It would be nice to see a manufacturer come up with a design that would allow us to cross the sidwalks. It is illegal and something we all do every week.

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Oh heck there's a boat load of products out there for just that application. Just start typing in the search engines.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
ar008_hosebridge_lg.jpg

HOSE BRIDGE
Item No. AR008
Your Price: $ 275.00 EA

SAFETY FIRST!

Sturdy Polyethylene with Anti-skid Safety Tape

Protect your hoses and avoid liability from slips and falls

Super strong - it can support the weight of a car!

Folds up for easy storage and transport

OSHA compliant.

38in x 21in x 8in
OSHA, what about ADA?

Name
I'm Rick James
Doc Holliday said:
ar008_hosebridge_lg.jpg

HOSE BRIDGE
Item No. AR008

SAFETY FIRST!

OSHA compliant.

38in x 21in x 8in
OSHA, what about ADA?

Good question..

Name
Lee Stockwell
Needs hand rails???

what goofy laws. I'll put up two card tables with religious literature so that ppl walk all the way around the van instead of over my hoses.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Doc Holliday said:
ar008_hosebridge_lg.jpg

HOSE BRIDGE
Item No. AR008

SAFETY FIRST!

OSHA compliant.

38in x 21in x 8in
OSHA, what about ADA?

This hose bridge is OSHA compliant. The picture for ADA is not as clear. Seems to meet ADA regs in some cases but not all. I will check further.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
If I'm not mistaken for ADA applications the ramp has to have a handrail and maximum slope limit to be in compliance.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
General Information
Ramps are essential for wheelchair users if elevators or lifts are not available to connect different levels Any part of an accessible route with a slope greater than 1:20 shall be considered a ramp.

Wheelchair Ramp Specs: Slope and Rise

Ramp slopes between 1:16 and 1:20 are preferred. The ability to manage an incline is related to both its slope and its length. Wheelchair users with disabilities affecting their arms or with low stamina have serious difficulty using inclines.

Most ambulatory people and most people who use wheelchairs can manage a slope of 1:16. Many people cannot manage a slope of 1:12 for 30 ft (9 m).

Therefore, to build according to wheelchair ramp specs, the least possible slope shall be used for any ramp. The maximum slope of a ramp in new construction shall be 1:12. The maximum rise for any run shall be 30 in (760 mm).

No alteration shall be undertaken which decreases or has the effect of decreasing accessibility or usability of a building or facility below the requirements for new construction at the time of alteration.

Wheelchair Ramp Specs: Clear Width

The minimum clear width of a ramp shall be 36 in (915 mm).

Wheelchair Ramp Specs: Landings

Level landings are essential toward maintaining an aggregate slope that complies with ADA guidelines. A ramp landing that is not level causes individuals using wheelchairs to tip backward or bottom out when the ramp is approached.

Therefore, ramps shall have level landings at bottom and top of each ramp and each ramp run. Landings shall have the following features

•The landing shall be at least as wide as the ramp run leading to it.

•The landing length shall be a minimum of 60 in (1525 mm) clear.

•If ramps change direction at landings, the minimum landing size shall be 60 in by 60 in (1525 mm by 1525 mm).

•If a doorway is located at a landing, then the area in front of the doorway shall comply with the ADA wheelchair ramp specs shown in this illustration (click here). Entry doors to acute care hospital bedrooms for in-patients shall be exempted from the requirement for space at the latch side of the if the door is at least 44 in (1120 mm) wide.

Wheelchair Ramp Specs: Handrails

The requirements for stair and ramp handrails in this guideline are for adults. When children are principal users in a building or facility (e.g. elementary schools), a second set of handrails at an appropriate height can assist them and aid in preventing accidents.

A maximum height of 28 inches measured to the top of the gripping surface from the ramp surface or stair nosing is recommended for handrails designed for children.

Sufficient vertical clearance between upper and lower handrails (9 inches minimum) should be provided to help prevent entrapment.

If a ramp run has a rise greater than 6 in (150 mm) or a horizontal projection greater than 72 in (1830 mm), then it shall have handrails on both sides.

Handrails are not required on curb ramps or adjacent to seating in assembly areas. Handrails shall have the following features:

•Handrails shall be provided along both sides of ramp segments. The inside handrail on switchback or dogleg ramps shall always be continuous.

•If handrails are not continuous, they shall e
•tend at least 12 in (305 mm) beyond the top and bottom of the ramp segment and shall be parallel with the floor or ground surface.

•The clear space between the handrail and the wall shall be 1 - 1/2 in (38 mm).

•Gripping surfaces shall be continuous.

•Top of handrail gripping surfaces shall be mounted between 34 in and 38 in (865 mm and 965 mm) above ramp surfaces.

•Ends of handrails shall be either rounded or returned smoothly to floor, wall, or post.

•Handrails shall not rotate within their fittings.

Cross Slope and Surfaces

The cross slope of ramp surfaces shall be no greater than 1:50. Ramp surfaces shall comply with ADA standards for ground and floor surface.

Wheelchair Ramp Specs: Edge Protection

Ramps and landings with drop-offs shall have curbs, walls, railings, or projecting surfaces that prevent people from slipping off the ramp. Curbs shall be a minimum of 2 in (50 mm) high.

Ramp Specs: Outdoor Conditions

Outdoor ramps and their approaches shall be designed so that water will not accumulate on walking surfaces.

Bla, bla, bla, bla..................... Think of all the government jobs this creates...................This program is not primarily to help the disabled. Like most Gov programs it's to grow government and to reward right(Left) voting people and insure re-election of sex crazed , power hungry politicians............................ What a load of cr@p!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
The Hose Bridge does not require handrails because the rise is not greater than 6" and the horizontal run is not greater than 72" (6').

I have to get out my ruler and calculate the ratio of the rise. I will do that this evening and should have an answer tomorrow.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The Hose Bridge does not require handrails because the rise is not greater than 6" and the horizontal run is not greater than 72"

A ramp such as Scott posted would do very nicely even if it doesn't hit the letter of the law. It looks like you care, which satisfies most nosy goofs. Nosier goofs can be quieted with Scott's statement above, since no employee of a ticketing/fining agency will take the time to measure your ramp and do the math.

PS: Before getting too carried away griping about this rule, roll a mile in their wheels.

Jamesh921

Name
James
Quote:
HOSE BRIDGE
Item No. AR008

SAFETY FIRST!

OSHA compliant.

38in x 21in x 8in

$275.00? I feel ...... "violated".

Becker

Name
Becker
The Great Oz said:
The Hose Bridge does not require handrails because the rise is not greater than 6" and the horizontal run is not greater than 72"

A ramp such as Scott posted would do very nicely even if it doesn't hit the letter of the law. It looks like you care, which satisfies most nosy goofs. Nosier goofs can be quieted with Scott's statement above, since no employee of a ticketing/fining agency will take the time to measure your ramp and do the math.

PS: Before getting too carried away griping about this rule, roll a mile in their wheels.

Agreed

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
scottw said:
The Hose Bridge does not require handrails because the rise is not greater than 6" and the horizontal run is not greater than 72" (6').

I have to get out my ruler and calculate the ratio of the rise. I will do that this evening and should have an answer tomorrow.
Wrong!
It does not qualify in CA.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
The Great Oz said:

It did not work here.
As can be attested by many in S.F that have the $600.00 fines to prove. Lately they have stopped enforcing it, but may start again. Depending on the budget wows and how much extra money they want to pay off duty policemen.

Bryan,
No argument that we should have the ramp and make things more accessible for the disabled. Most disabled people here are very grateful and think the yellow ramp is great. They even thank us.
It is the damn bureaucrats in government that make it impossible, who drive us crazy.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Vinnie said:
Park your truck on the sidewalk they can't trip over that.

Sidewalk parking in S.F. - $200.00

Violating the American with disabilities act $600.0 first fine.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
scottw said:
Scott,
That yellow ramp has to be improved, especially for what is being charged.
The hinges warp and break.
The clearance is for a 2" hose- not enough. Very hard to squeeze the water hose under with it, which defeats the cause and will sometime cause it to be unstable.
The black non slip stripes wear off fairly quickly.

Has no remote :p

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Ofer Kolton said:
scottw said:
Scott,
The clearance is for a 2" hose- not enough. Very hard to squeeze the water hose under with it, which defeats the cause and will sometime cause it to be unstable.

I understand. It seems to pass all the regs except California / San Fransisco's tougher standards. We simply don't sell enough to engineer and build molds for a new product. But I have passed all the comments (including handrails) along to our accessories management. Maybe someday...

Name
I'm Rick James
scottw said:
Ofer Kolton said:
scottw said:
Scott,

I understand. It seems to pass all the regs except California / San Fransisco's tougher standards. We simply don't sell enough to engineer and build molds for a new product. But I have passed all the comments (including handrails) along to our accessories management. Maybe someday...

Keep us updated.. Since we are all breaking the law it might be something to look into for us.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom