Long Zipper passes, last job of the week (and back to work)

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Yes, I have had a bit of time off....

But feels good to be back cleaning...and I did miss my Zipper Wand! :biggrin:

Was thinking about those that I see having problems with hose management of the Zipper.

We do long passes, but as I mention in the video, I come from the days of drag wands, so it is not as difficult for me to change from wanding to Zipper passes and hose management.

I would say, start with shorter passes (about 4-5 steps forward, then back)

We will typically hold the hose with the opposite hand of the trigger (I am right handed, have my trigger on right, boy wonder is left handed and trigger on the left) I can do trigger on either side actually....

So my video contributions to trying to help with hose management for you guys and gals.

shadygrady

Name
Rob Grady
The first thing I did with my Zipper was to remove the hose from the handcuff on the handle to let it lay on the floor. I made a 1' whip that is held in place by the SS Hp line so the hose exits straight back towards the operator. Eliminated the need to always having to operate one-handed. The next was to skirt-in the sides to eliminate the 'puff the magic dragon' effect of the escaping steam vapor. Total encapsulation of the solution so as to not overspray onto various household articles as you are going by them. I also swapped location of the carry handle and made a nylon strap to attach under the two allen screws holding the weights to the cleaning head.
Much more ergonomic as opposed to the stock set-up.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
On large open areas I generally just walk forward the whole time. When I get to an end I turn around keeping the hose on the side that was just cleaned. I clean the entire area and then go back and dry vac. Sometimes I even pull off the solution. Sorry no videos to busy cleaning.

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

shadygrady

Name
Rob Grady
Sorry, no pictures. The whip that I made starts with a 8" section of the grey, wire braided flex hose used in the confined spaces of portys. Install the sight tube and clamp. A 4-6" piece of the supplied vac hose with a swivel cuff finishes. This can be routed under the SS HP water line to control movement. This set-up now like a wobble extension that exit straight back.
For the skirting, I used Gorilla tape, a crafters exacto knife and a little patience to contour over both sides and on the inside of the head so nothing would stick. Both glides are still removable. I saw a video of the new SS Zip where it looks like Eric has machined HDPE end caps. Would be a great add-on.
I also added a swivel feature for the HP water line to the valve on the handle. The unit can now lay completely flat to the floor when needed.
Hose management is simpler now, just lift side to side as required

Rob Grady

Name
Rob Grady
20160131_154851.jpg

20160131_154130.jpg

20160131_154601.jpg

20160131_154851.jpg
20160131_164050.jpg

20160131_154055.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

shadygrady

Name
Rob Grady
Thanks Mark. I'll try to get some more up later today. As you can see the swivel starts from the valve with a close nipple to a flow-thru female connector. The adapter starts with a male flow-thru to a 90 then to a standard female QC. The skirting does'nt show well but as I explained to Mikey, I just used a contour gauge to outline the Zip head and enclosed the sides. It is also reverse taped on the inside so nothing sticks.

Name
Nate W.
Wouldn't it be harder to manage the hoses being hooked up down low like that?

Try it and find out.. I have tried it with 2.5" hose to the black 2" hose... It can work if your moving away from your hoses... It certainly does take the weight off the handle... I hard lined/ use 90° fittings to get away from the small whip hose... My hose was going to burst... Had to have an easier way...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom