Marble cleaning advise needed.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Got a client that had work done in lobby- Marble.
They just want a cleaning. Never done it before.

I got Viper Venom, Viper Renew and Stone Pro- Heavy duty stone cleaner.
I assume I will:
  • Prespray with one of the above. Any preference?
  • Agitate a little dwell and rinse. Got the Turbo and the Tile wand. Not a big area.
  • For rinsing will it be OK to rinse with Procyon or DFC 210 which is what I most commonly use? Just water?
Did I get it right?
Thanks

Last edited:

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
if its polished marble, it's not going to take much to clean
if its polished marble, just installed, and there asking you to clean it, there may be other issues you may need be aware, etching from someone using vinegar to clean, grout haze, adhesive reside, micro scratches from the cover moving
if its polished marble, installers sanded edges and then enhanced to hide.

if it indeeds just needs clean, mild alkaline and clean water rinse, towel and dry
make sure turbo brush clean, lower pressur so you don't blow out grout, if buttinstallled

frresh1

Name
Doug
dont ever use viper renew on marble....in fact dont even keep renew and venom in the same shelve in the truck

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
Forget Viper anything and use the Stone Pro alk diluted down with low pressure so you don't blow out the N/S grout like Carl says...seal...then buff off any sealer haze with a 175 white pad or use white terry towels by hand :)

Rob Fairfield

Supportive Member
Name
Rob Fairfield
What is your customers expectations? Are they expecting more shine and reflectivity after you clean? If the marble is dull it has nothing to do with being dirty or clean. If it is dull, when you get done cleaning it will be clean dull stone. Dull marble is not dirty marble it is damaged marble. Before you start make sure you completely understand what your customer expects.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Thank you for all the advise.
I haven't seen it yet. From her email: "[FONT=&quot]We had some marble work done and it seems like that fine dust is really difficult to remove." [/FONT]
So, I'll have to get more info and I guess make sure I am not inheriting someone else problems. If I am not sure, Ill just pass.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Marble is complicated Porkchop harsh chemicals can cloud and damage it. We don't get many requests and have side stepped most of those that do ask.

Many years ago we did a 10,000sq/ft house full of it and it exposed how little we knew of it's care and cleaning. We lost our butt in the time we spent correcting the problems we cause and getting it to look nice and shiny again.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Granted, I am a hillbilly and may not know a marble floor from a brick one, but I would swear that I have been cleaning a marble floor in a bank for over 10 years now. I've used all kinds of alkaline cleaners on it, but no acids.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Most alkaline s are fine you just have to watch out what all in the mix that you are laying down. We have used oxyblaster on marble and it did not etch the floor, mikey is saying that the peroxide "could" etch the floor and for that reason we don't use oxyblaster anymore on any natural stone.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Thank you all.
That's what happens when one listens to the client. In her email, she called it marble.
Well..in reality it was one of those no slip floors that are directly glued onto a board. Cleaned great.

Reactions: SamIam

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
If you're out of your favorite stone cleaner, Dawn dish washing detergent is pretty damn good on stone. They use it to clean the birds after an oil spill..LOL

Regarding grout and marble, sometimes it appears that there is a wide enough grout line but it's actually butt jointed. A lot have a 45 degree angle on the edges but after that angle it can be butt jointed. It is like skimmed grout and can easily come out with high pressure and even just vacuum.

Albert

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom