Marketing to Women

The Preacher

LiSA, do you use that pic of you flipping off the camera when you were a kid in any of yore direct mail pieces???

PS please post that pic again, it was way too funny!

Mikey P

Administrator
Lisa just described my company to a T.

If her ideas can make one truck bring in well over 300K how would it work with ten trucks?

danpauselius

I have to go with Bill Yeadon on this one. I too think Lisa is too close to the industry. I think you could ask a thousand women what they would respond to in an ad and you'd get a thousand different answers. But I bet 95% of them would respond to an ad that uses tested and proven emotional response mechanisms.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Bill, let's talk about these points

Let's discuss what we agree and disagree on here...and remember, I knew many marketing legends are built on some of this stuff, but that doesn't make it right, and it sure doesn't make it fresh, new and engaging. Many people use companies DESPITE poor marketing...because the product or service is good enough to make up for the bad marketing.

"1. If babies don't work someone needs to tell Michelin to stop one of the most successful ads in history; the baby sitting on a tire which added emotion to a non emotional product.
Someone also ought to tell Stanley Steemer, Chem Dry and Dalworth that they don't know how to market. Take a look at the new redone website of Dalworth to see what picture is on their home page. "

In Michelin's case their ad was more fear-marketing than anything; "Look what's riding on our tires", which may be successful, but is unethical, emotional, manipulative marketing nevertheless.
As far as the cleaning companies, it's old, tired marketing OBVIOUSLY attempting to appeal to woman's emotions. We see this, and we find it a bit annoying. Do you really want to just blend in with the franchises? Isn't the idea to set yourself APART from the average and already done? Babies are FAR from unique in marketing in this industry and many others.

"2. Pictures of equipment are a waste of time to most women. Do you really think they know the difference between a Prochem versus a Vortex? Do you think a woman understands the reason an RX 20 is a superior tool over a wand. When Roto Rooter shows up at a woman's house do you think she checked out the equipment and chose the company based on the tools used to unclog the drain. "

I don't think a pic of equipment should be the FEATURE of your marketing, but a pic in a brochure, tri-fold or introductory letter is great, especially if you have some superior equipment. The average woman (or man) may not know the difference between a V and a PC, BUT they do know the difference between tiny (Rug Doctor), small (porty), medium (TM in a van) and large and industrial (box truck w/ big machinery). What you park in the front of the house and bring in the home makes a BIG impression, especially if it's big, powerful and costly looking. I believe that new V and AT owners report a large increase in walk-ups over their old, van-mounted units. The key is to have all that - AND show care and concern for their home and belongings. Show your skill, education, experience, control and finesse, bring out the cornergaurds, booties, runners, what ever is needed to adequately PROTECT their home and furnishings.

"3. Uniforms: Why do Fed Ex, UPS, USPS, State Troopers, Doctors and Dentists wear uniforms? They impart professionalism.
According to recent studies people form an opinion of a person within 1 minute. Uniforms help to reinforce a favorable opinion. Jeans are very comfortable but don't give a professional image. "

Uniforms convey authority and command respect, they often are associated with occupations that many people have a deep-seated fears and issues with - Police, military, doctors, dentists...uniforms DON'T make the average person comfortable and give us warm fuzzies for that person. Women really need to feel COMFORTABLE warm and fuzzy with the person we let in our home to perform such a personal service. We don't want to feel like the cops just came in and are searching the joint.

Also overly formal attire (ties, ironed dress shirts, etc.) gives the impression of someone who considers their status higher than yours. It is stand-offish and impersonal, stiff and unfriendly. Jeans and company t's or polo's are fine for all clients I've ever spoke to. They are warm, casual, friendly and approachable. Women expect their cleaner to be dressed to clean and sweat, maybe get dirty, to get on their knees once in a while and be comfortable while doing it. Jeans and a nice company T fit the bill nicely.

"4. Carpet cleaning is not a big deal to anyone other than carpet cleaners. This means that it is hard to get people to remember you after a short time. Whether it is a post card or a newsletter, or a bottle of spotter something needs to keep your name in front of them. Would a refrigerator magnet work? Yes but I would want one that has a message board attached so that it differentiates from the other 10 magnets on the fridge."

I can't disagree with the clipboard magnet and spotter bottles both are excellent, as is a spotting/carpet care guide they can tape to the inside of the cleaning pantry door and consult throughout the year with your number prominently displayed. Postcards and newsletters however, tend to be viewed as junkmail by most and rarely get read. Next thing you know the gardener will have a newsletter reminding us it's time to fertilize and re-seed again....blahhh... boring and overdone.

Women LOVE surprises and little thoughtful gestures, though, so maybe when you move the couch or clean under the bed, you can place a little foldover card that says something like "Yep, we cleaned here too!", or "If you had to wipe away the dust to read me, it may be time to call us again!" This is the stuff women love....and it's funny too!

THE BEST reminder of all is when they feel like they made a new friend when you leave. NOTHING will make them do whatever they have to in order to find you again if you did a good job and made them feel like you are warm, trustworthy, honest and competent. They'll tell everyone about you....BTW, always leave AT LEAST three business cards or magnets so they can give them to friends and relatives....they do.

"5. Humor is one of the most difficult things in the world to pull off. Men love slapstick women think it is stupid. Trying to write humor for a diverse audience of women is almost impossible. Women tend to laugh at their own foibles whereas men laugh at others misfortunes. Men write what they believe is funny. Women may not see the humor. I agree with Jim P in that I don't believe men should write the ads or the humor."

I always wanted, but never quite had the guts, to start a carpet cleaning company named:

SECOND BEST CARPET CARE - When you can't afford the very best...

I know people would LOVE it. They'd use you just because you were not afraid to poke fun at yourself and take yourself so seriously. They'd have a warm and fuzzy for your company before they ever meet you. They'll greet you at the door with a big grin on their face and an outstretched hand. Humor is a powerful attractant to women, especially INTELLIGENT, subtle humor.

If you have trouble with humor, don't force it, but if you have the gift....USE IT BABY!!

"6. Marketing is about differentiation. Another ad showing a truck or a guy using a wand gives new meaning to the word redundancy. Using a picture of your family gives a personal touch to an industry that suffers from a "me too" syndrome which leads to commodity pricing. When we can't see a difference in companies we choose by price. "

How many carpet cleaners have pics of their family in their ads...TOO MANY! I call it Chem-Dry disease because the CD folks seem to be the biggest offenders here. We don't care what your kids look like. We care about YOU and what kind of job and service experience we are going to have with you. Don't distract us with your family!

If you want to put your pic in the ad, make it fresh and new...for example: Make big, huge letters each covered in a different fabric/carpet, spelling out your company name, (or photoshop it) have a pro photosho in little mini pics of you cleaning the letters with your tools....say it said: YEADON'S in block letters across the majority of the ad....with a little Bill standing on the floor, reaching up to clean the fork of the Y with a wand, another perched on the O using an upholstery tool, another standing behind the A reaching through it, and lastly...one leaning on the S sipping a cup of coffee with finger to lips signing "shhhh!" and looking impish...It is simple, bold, eye-catching, memorable, humorous, effectively conveys what your company does, is friendly, approachable and warm. Women would eat it up.

"7. Lisa has a definite chromosome advantage over me. She also has an advantage over 99% of the women in this country in that she can tear apart a truck mount and put it back together better than most men in this industry. But I think she is too close to the industry to have a handle on the average woman that purchases carpet cleaning."

You give me too much credit and you sell me short in the same paragraph, Bill. I'm more connected with the average woman that you would think. All those years I was a carpet cleaner, I was also a wife and mother of four, had two foster kids, a literal zoo of animals and relatives that "drop by" unexpectedly. I can relate to BOTH sides of this coin.

Just for fun I've included some pics of MY old van, circa 2003, and yes I designed the vinyl. I could have done better with a bigger budget, but I thought it looked pretty good for $350.00. Yes, that's a window van. At that time it had TWO backseats (I had six kids to drive around), and a truckmount with waste tank and hose reels. Later a bigger TM was installed and the backseats eventually removed to make room for more shelving and equipment.

van005tj3.jpg

van004og0.jpg

Take care,
Lisa

Rex Tyus

A small exercise for anyone that doubts Lisa's tips.

If you are married, simply ask your wife to read the post. BE FAIR, don't give YOUR opinion. Women are also notorious for supporting the male ego.

The commercials my wife hates the most are the car dealer ads with all the kids in them.

Today's mother is more often than not successful in their own right. They DO find many of the things Lisa mentioned INSULTING.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I ran Lisa's thoughts by a few women I know who are in the upscale target market. They agree with Lisa almost entirely.

That surprised me, as I confess I had leaned more toward Bill's way of thinking on most of the points. Most did say to be careful with the humor part; they said that (for whatever reason) boyfriends are funnier than husbands.

If you've got to try to be funny, don't.

Interestingly, Bill Yeadon has a great, self deprecating, sense of humor. He's a natural!

Name
Deborah Lema
I have to agree with Lisa.

I confess an extreme fondness for magnets.

May I add that paying attention to things like hoses and machines not marring walls, using shoe covers, not leaving garbage, and other ways of not making a mess are stand-out customer service points that go far for females.

Also, using the customer's toilet to pump out is convenient but I know females who privately find it insulting and offensive yet agree to let the cleaner do it out of politeness. Not to mention that some customers get charged for that by the utility, so the value of your service goes down in their mind. Then they don't call back.

Ah but a good magnet...

Regards,
Debbie

Tahoesteve

Lisa,

With that business name (Second Best Carpet Care) you would have to bank at the Second National Bank and go to church at the Second Baptist Church! :lol:

Take care,
Steve

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
marketing to women contrarian

Lisa,

One point we have in common is we both feel passionate about our positions.

Our differences are apparent in what we believe is marketing and its role.

Your viewpoint:

"In Michelin's case their ad was more fear-marketing than anything; "Look what's riding on our tires", which may be successful, but is unethical, emotional, manipulative marketing nevertheless.
As far as the cleaning companies, it's old, tired marketing OBVIOUSLY attempting to appeal to woman's emotions. We see this, and we find it a bit annoying. Do you really want to just blend in with the franchises? Isn't the idea to set yourself APART from the average and already done? Babies are FAR from unique in marketing in this industry and many others. "

The best marketing is always emotional. The more senses involved in marketing the better it will be. Lisa if women don't like emotional marketing why does the cosmetic industry spend 80% of the gross sales on emotional marketing?

Uniforms definitely make the customer feel safer. Jeans are the most comfortable clothes we have but they do not impart professionalism. Uniforms come in many varieties. We have a company in our SFS class this week that is named the Breeze. Their truck has a beautiful wrap of a tropical scene. The techs wear khaki pants and Hawaaian shirts. They are casual and definitely memorable. How memorable are jeans and tshirts?

Your thoughts on Pics of trucks:
"I don't think a pic of equipment should be the FEATURE of your marketing, but a pic in a brochure, tri-fold or introductory letter is great, especially if you have some superior equipment."

How does a woman looking at a YP ad know what is superior equipment? Most ads show a van or a guy with a wand. To me the advantage of a cube van, other than the holding capacity, is the space to place a beautiful wrap on the vehicle. I agree with you that if you have a larger brochure you could discuss the features of your system but only if you are going to focus on the benefits to the customer. The best place for this is on a website where you can put a lot of information.
This is also the place for testimonials.

As for your truck and the extra seats it proves one other point I teach is that women are much better at multitasking. You did an outstanding job running a business and a large family.

I think the saying "we will just agree to disagree"

This might be a great subject to debate at Summerfest in Indianapolis this summer.

Your turn.

Bill

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
This thread has gotten better and better!

Its good to have a debate between two respected industry leaders who also show deep respect for each other in the process.

It would be great to have some of the other women on the board contribute their thoughts, and perhaps some of the wives who are not active in the business as well.

I took Bill's advice and walked Kathy through the parking lot of our business when we were having a show. When I asked her what types of logos, signs, and artwork appealed to her, I was surprised. Us guys don't always see it the way "they" do.

Try this with your spouse or "significant other" the next time you drag her along to a cleaning event.

Brandon Culp

But you can't just take what Lisa said, read it to someone, have the other people agree and say "that's a legitimate test." You're leading the witness.

Lisa did a good job of articulating her thoughts and backed up her points very nicely. Another person could counter her points in thoughtful, articulate manner (like Lisa did) and I'd be willing to bet the same people would say the other person is right on.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Women don't want to be marketed to for their carpet cleaning in the same way they are marketed to for clothes and cosmetics, we hate that crap!

Additionally....I really don't think women WANT to be marketed to in the way they do for cosmetics and clothing....that marketing is a desperate attempt by fiercely competitive companies to make their product different from the rest. Without any marketing, eyeshadow is eyeshadow, there is little difference in ingredients. These companies must "create" a difference...a mystique, where none exists, and that takes some pretty slick marketing.

Slick, emotional marketing is what you use when you can't stand apart or hold unique value based on anything else.

....and the cosmetic companies pay dearly for marketing solely on emotion; financially, and in the public eye. Name me anyone who thinks women are marketed to in a way that we want our daughters marketed to. It is marketing designed to break you down, make you feel inferior, insecure,and make your life feel incomplete without what that product offers you....Bill, is this RIGHT?? It sells eyeshadow, but do you want that for YOUR daughter?

Michelin's ads work off of fear and guilt; They imply that if you don't have Michelin tires you are somehow endangering your children. It is morally and ethically wrong to market in such a way....emotional marketing is dirty fighting IMHO.

This kind of emotional marketing happens in the male market as well....check out the average tool advertisements, beer commercials, car and motorcycle ads...Hell the restaurant chain Hooters was built on the principles of emotionally marketing to men....is there really anything unique to Hooters, besides the Hooters? For some reason, being treated like idiots doesn't seem to bother men, as long as there is a little T&A thrown in.

I will also admit that "my" marketing is much more applicable with owner/ops than with large multi-truck companies, because establishing a personal, on-going relationship with the client is paramount. That is more difficult to achieve the way the average large, multi-truck operates.

Take care,
Lisa

I beg forgiveness for my crude comment that was just deleted.

For penance I'm going to clean carpet with a Rug Doctor for a week.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Craig

Does Katie make you sleep on the couch a lot?

Now we're having a serious conversation here, so be good or its "off to the Bird Room" with you!

LOL...
Yes she does actually.

Seriously, there is some really good information in this topic. Lisa is making some great points that all of us guys should take to heart.

As the spring cleaning season blossoms we should all be applying some of the thoughts here to our marketing.

Greenie

I'm okay with Idiot, if some T&A is involved.

I agree with a lot of what Bill says, but we're men so it's kind of a moot point.

I have done the khaki pant, hawaiian shirt thing, I believe people remember the things you say to them, and do for them in their cleaning experience more than what you are wearing though.

One thing every single customer did remember, and would comment on, was that damn Spot on the van, they never forgot the name of the company either, and it's not even a memorable name, but it was simple.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Yesterday I left this thread open on my home computer before I left for work.

Jo came along and read it and this is the text I got from her.

"that lady talking about marketing is spot on"

Sorry, but I'm not sure if that's an insult or a compliment being called a lady Lisa :lol: My wife denies strongly that she's a lady but I always say that she's MY lady.

I agree with almost all of what you said except the uniforms. So many around that I see in tank tops, baggy slacks with 3" of crack showing etc. We dress in a white polo shirt embroidered with names and company names over dress black shorts or dress slacks. Not over done but nice and fresh. they are our company colours so it works nicely for us too.

Great thread though and keep the points coming. I have a new guy starting fresh into this industry Tue after Easter so I'll definately be printing this out for him to read to get a handle on this very important subject.

John

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Have a quick peek at my website. The general format with logo at top and carpet strip at the bottom is the format of our business cards, letter heads, invoices etc. EVERYONE ladies, gents everyone comments on it. All my customers love it.

That could be differences between our countries I don't know.

John

Rex Tyus

Billyeadon asked
How does a woman looking at a YP ad know what is superior equipment?

My first thought on that is, if the lady is even looking at a YELLOW PAGE ad YOUR MARKETING PROGRAM MISSED HER. Now your hoping to get her with advertising.

Mark Roberts

Interesting reading. Im actually going through a branding/image building process at the minute trying to establish whats makes me different, what image to promote and why people buy from me etc. Not easy i must add. Currently getting a 'professional' designer to come up with a logo. Will let you all see it for feedback.

The bottom line with marketing is the return. It would be very interesting to compare a Polish type ad with a Lisa type ad to see the difference in responces.

Incidently Lisa have you any sample adverts you consider to be effect marketing to woman. Having 'followed' the Polish approach for a few years Im always wondering if theres another way, a better way.

thanks
Mark

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I copied and pasted Lisa's post and sent it to some marketing people I know.........

For the for most they pretty much agree with most of what she said except
the fear based marketing needs to be implied but toned down to where it is something that is informative but not a set "fear"

All agree that people need to be educated and learn what our industry is capable of achieving.........If you don't inform them how will they know what you are capable of correcting Education goes both ways for us and the client

Family pictures 2 of the 3 agree that Family pictures are a great plus on your marketing pieces...........It allows the client to be more in touch with whom is knocking on there door and in today's world.......it is important for them to know.the 3rd one only liked it on o/o not for larger company's (don't ask I don't understand that one either)

the news letters and post cards ..all disagreed with this and it went back to the education process.If they are done the correct way they could be a great asset to them and your company........

One thing that was brought to our attention on this was that (and I have said this time and time again) some of what is implied don't mean nothing to more people in a "larger" towns but could mean something to people who target in the smaller communities.........know your target market

I called and was talking to one of them and it was mentioned to me that a small sense of humor goes a long way with most women....but more important the more respect you give her no matter how she looks how her home is kept of how she presents herself is the biggest key to having a long time client...........

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Mark,

I don't have much anymore, cleaned house a while back....but I will see what I can dig up or draw up a quick sketch of a generic piece. I do have a few of my last biz cards, and scanned that in:

glscardrp3.jpg

Jim,

I would expect to hear that type of feedback from quite a few, my ideas go directly in the face of "traditional marketing"....just curious, how many women, how many men....and are they tied to the industry or not?

As I said in the very first post....take it for what it's worth. If we all marketed the same way we'd REALLY be screwed!

The very best thing about this thread is it has prodded a lot of people to evaluate and consider their marketing and what it is saying about their company....and no matter what you decide, that is GOOD.

Besides, Bill and I have had a lot of fun!!

Take care,
Lisa

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
All were women

they are not tied into any industry of any type which makes it even better because it is more an open un bias opinion which is what I was after.......

this was a good thread there were a few things that got me re thinking.....

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
Rex Tyus said:
Billyeadon asked
How does a woman looking at a YP ad know what is superior equipment?

My first thought on that is, if the lady is even looking at a YELLOW PAGE ad YOUR MARKETING PROGRAM MISSED HER. Now your hoping to get her with advertising.

Rex,

OK let me tighten up this question. How does a woman looking at any ad know what superior equipment is?

And by the way I dislike the YP but unfortunately many still waste a lot of money in them.

Rex Tyus

Bill wrote
OK let me tighten up this question. How does a woman looking at any ad know what superior equipment is? Yellow pages are in my opinion reference or courtesy adverting (they are looking for you cause they lost your magnet).

And by the way I dislike the YP but unfortunately many still waste a lot of money in them.

Let me clarify my response. My point is if the lady in question wasn't insulted by the condescending marketing material with the fluff and baby pictures...SHE WOULDN'T BE LOOKING IN THE BOOK, she would have called already.

Back to part one. Today's women are way more informed informed than most men want to give them credit.

They may not know what is TECHNICALLY superior, but you can bet your ass they will notice a neat, clean and organized set up.

As far as knowing superior equipment goes there are GUYS on this board that think the higher the vac gauge reads the better whether or not the wand is on the floor.

In summation, today's woman is not Mrs. Archie Bunker. They are business women, doctors, lawyers, real estate brokers and Indian chiefs.
The tired old tricks will work less and less. Just my opinion. I don't have 100,000 post cards made in 1970 I am trying to sell though. 8)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom