Mold stain help!!!

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Wool rug with mold was left on wood floor only 5 days, after picking up we noticed this
2503-ac402b5a7a2ca3f14ea4a689b1f9746f.jpg

Sprayed Quat-a-lot, let dwell for 20 minutes then steam cleaned...then sprayed Microban Germicidal Cleaner Concentrate & hoped the "blackened" area would dry out & go away, 5 days later it looked like this still
2502-708e80f48ed27d6c874444769f198c2b.jpg

So tried some solvent cleaner & a high PH cleaner & the "black" won't budge, I sprayed some bleach as a last resort but after 20 minutes didn't look any brighter, what are my options?

Steel wool?
Sand it down?

Doing this as a favor but honestly its my first time so I could use some help.

Attachments

• IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_0422.jpg
    IMG_0422.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I would suggest a screening which uses a screen under a 175 RPM floor machine. This is like sand paper, but less aggressive than sanding with drum sander or belt sander.

I am not sure this is a job a beginner should tackle.

Reactions: Jim Nazarian

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
I would not put anymore liquids on that floor. Moisture has gotten in between the boards. Is there any cupping or crowning? if not it might dry by itself. It needs to be completely dry before you can fix it.

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
I would not put anymore liquids on that floor. Moisture has gotten in between the boards. Is there any cupping or crowning? if not it might dry by itself. It needs to be completely dry before you can fix it.

I feared cupping but so far none has occurred.

Going to pick up some wood bleach in the morning & take a belt sander if I can't find screens.

Found some highly rated floor company's on Yelp to call if I feel I am making the situation worse.

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
I don't buy the 5 days.
Thats what I was told & I asked twice.

Heres the whole story, 6 months ago the owners were put into an assisted living home, the kids brought in a cleaning lady who happened to have a husband who cleans carpets, he cleaned this rug & wrapped it plastic & it sat rolled up for 6 months, they finally unrolled it & discovered mold so they called me, I bring it into the shop & fully unroll it & discover its "rotted out", I find out home owner in the past had used bleach & rug Dr type cleanings...so I cut up the rug & trashed it.

2506-839a5734481569783e52ce12addf69a5.jpg

The owners are my parents best friends, so now I have to fix this crap.They were always too cheap to hire me, the man is a multi millionare & refused to hire a gardner even at the age of 94!

Attachments

• IMG_0402.jpg
    IMG_0402.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Name
Lee Stockwell
It would cost about $700 to fix that correctly here. I'm sure much more there. It didn't happen the way they said. It was wet many times, a little at a time. Guessing a pet used the rug over time, rug "cleaned" in place several times, etc.

What did the floor smell like?, the rug likewise?

Name
Lee Stockwell
Nah, a belt sander will rip that right off, best to do whole room. Follow with some color voodoo, stain, and poly. Will look like a million bucks.

PS If you've never mastered this, well this isn't the job to practice on.

Reactions: J Scott W

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
It would cost about $700 to fix that correctly here. I'm sure much more there. It didn't happen the way they said. It was wet many times, a little at a time. Guessing a pet used the rug over time, rug "cleaned" in place several times, etc.

What did the floor smell like?, the rug likewise?
No pets.
The rug & the room it was in did not have an odor when I first picked up the rug, the floor has no odor!

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Nah, a belt sander will rip that right off, best to do whole room. Follow with some color voodoo, stain, and poly. Will look like a million bucks.

PS If you've never mastered this, well this isn't the job to practice on.

Ok, I will hire someone & probably get stuck with the bill.

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
YOU didn't do it!!!?
No, I had nothing to do with it!

But now my Mother involved me & these people were Church Deacons for 50 years so I am totally screwed. Hoping its my one good deed of the year or maybe find a way to turn it into a church contribution (tax write off).

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
No, I had nothing to do with it!

But now my Mother involved me & these people were Church Deacons for 50 years so I am totally screwed. Hoping its my one good deed of the year or maybe find a way to turn it into a church contribution (tax write off).

Jim,

Its not our place to tell you how to conduct yourself in your business/personal life. When you see strong statements about you staying out of this, much of it comes from our own experiences of being thrust into situations like this because of the unfair expectations of others, and our own sense of caring and wanting to do "the right thing".

That said, I'd like to offer you three thoughts that were shared with me when I was younger and less wise, by men who were older and through the course of life's events, wiser:

"Your friends will get you after your relatives are through with you"

"No good deed goes unpunished"

"Never do anything for free. But if you do, expect to pay for it"

Those cynical statements have proven true so often in my life, and I would think in the lives of the battle scarred veterans here.

Should you decide to proceed, count on all of us to help you all that we can. We understand where you are.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Reactions: Desk Jockey

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Next time a customer wants to be cheap & save money by cleaning rugs in their home...show them Brian's pictures.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Concrobium Mold Stain Remover is in stock at several California Interlink Supply locations. Also some other good mold stain removers such as Advanced Peroxide Cleaner from Fiberlock.

You may as well try the easy way first, but I still think you will get back to the screen or sand options to make it completely right. Maybe since it is not your issues they will settle for good improvement.

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
I made 2 appointments with floor restoration company's today accepting boards need to be replaced then stained by a pro, 11:00 appointment no show :hopeless: my 4th grade daughter flew to Sacramento with her class so I have lots of nervous energy so I grab the belt sander, slap on 50 grit mostly to kill time & since I am likely stuck paying might as well really mess things up right? So I sand down the area (haven't sanded anything in years) then grab some Clorox Outdoor Bleach that I had in the van & spray the area (don't worry, nobody lives in the house, its going to be torn down after its sold anyways...land is worth way more then the house...Sherman Oaks, Ca.) I was going to order the 2 part Concrobium Mold Stain Remover but the Clorox appeared to be doing its job in the mean time. The 2nd contractor finally shows up & says boards don't need replacing, he would just finish sanding, stain then polyurethane..I tell him great when can you start, he tells me they are booked until May 8th :madder:

I guess I will experiment & practice until I can hire someone.

Progress???
2520-411c90f6ef7e1cb2cfd274f9c51a2bf1.jpg

Before

2521-ac402b5a7a2ca3f14ea4a689b1f9746f.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 325
Back