My first job with Basic Coatings

Bob Foster

I don't own the fancy cleaning and extraction machine they are selling so I had to come up with my own solution for this solid hardwood floor.

Before2.jpg

So I used my Mytee sprayer and mixed the Squeaky Cleaner to spray the floor and then followed it with a mild Whittaker GLS scrub. I shortly found out it went easier and quicker with the Sebo with the added advantage that the Sebo would go under the kitchen cabinet kicks. The electric sprayer worked perfect for this.

BasicSebobest.jpg

I then rinsed the floor with cold water and 250 psi with my Mytee Bentley wand. Next I dried it using a couple of fans.

BasicDrying.jpg

I divided the scrub and extraction into three areas and by the time I finished scrubbing and extracting the second area the first area was dry so I could move the fans to the second area.

Next I put on the refinish which you just drizzle on to the floor with a squeeze bottle and then apply it with a micro fiber finishing pad.

BasicJuiceandMop.jpg

Basicpartial2.jpg

The job was just starting to kick on the first section when I left but I could tell it was a big improvement in the doggie scratches which was her complaint.

The material doesn't go super far and I might have used a little more than I expected.

Basickick2.jpg

Simple work with nice results. Most of us are a little on edge trying out a new method and product but I wouldn't hesitate to do another one again. And based on my results and the effort I would do the second one the same way again until I get enough of them to buy that machine.

The cleaning takes the longest to do but it was quite easy to do the way I did it.

Bob Foster

No. She vacuumed it and I scrubbed and flushed it so there wasn't anything to deal with. Prep is everything on this type of job.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
The finish is their replenisher which is ok but does not last nearly as long as their streetshoe. Streetshoe is more of a true wood coating and as others it is more difficult to apply.

Albert

Bob Foster

Kind of gathered that about the durability. That is where the expectation was set with the customer. If it was to be more than that I'm not interested in doing it.

Bob Foster

Yes its still wet in the pictures. One of the pictures you could see the material starting to kick near the window. They say one coat is good but you can put more on.

I think this should be sold the same way you would sell tile and grout cleaning. Going to try the coating on a laminate that's a little ratty.

Next level up that was referred to by Albert called Streetshoe. it would require a rotary screening process and would be triple the work and way too involved for the time cycle I would ever want to spend in a home. Let the floor finishers have it. It would be the equivalent of time effort etc of diamond polishing a marble floor.

Just remember I am no expert. I was impressed by what I saw at Connections and this was my first wood floor. I never sold it to my customer for anything other than a nice refinish. Almost like someone would have sold waxing a wood floor only with a modern approach.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
i can't imagine rinsing a wood floor with water of any psi. wood absorbs and expands from even small amounts. it only takes one small gap. it does look good.

gene

Bob Foster

This was a well sealed floor. No way could you do that with any laminate or TnG flooring.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
why screened??/

if its in good repair, shouldnt need it....

kinda like a scrub and recoat on a VCT floor....vs a strip

oh and gene, thats how most "dustless" systems are going..."wet" cleaning, and if they are done right the 1st time (meaning a good product) then it should be no problem

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Looks good Bob, I haven't tried Basic's, just Bridgepoint and Lamanator Plus products.

I also use 3 coats, but the cleaning plus the time that you'd have to wait in between the coats, it's a lot of time @ the job site, most clients will call for floors that really needed to be refinished but want a clean/polish (9 outta 10 calls) look for the price of CC. That has been my experience, I've done a handful but at the end of the day, carpet was more profitable for us.

Having done this type of work, I'd personally not buy the dragon or whatever it's called, unless I also offered a full dustless sanding "method" which I would than give the option of applying Streetshoe or any other higher end coats. I send these type of jobs to a dustless sanding guy (who also has basic's machine, n uses their products).

Bob Foster

1 hour between coatings according to the label. Craig Jasper mentioned that Laminator Plus seems to have disappeared off the scene. Nobody can contact them. Actually I tried Laminator Plus on my own floor a few years back and wasn't impressed.

This Basic Coating is not in the same league as Laminator Plus. Laminator plus reminded me of AmorAll.

I have heard good things about Bridgepoint and the Bona stuff.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Kind of gathered that about the durability. That is where the expectation was set with the customer. If it was to be more than that I'm not interested in doing it.

That's a good point. Being a maintenance type of service falls in line with carpet cleaning.

Albert

John Watson

Looks good Bobbie, Not familiar with that product, But I can speak on the Bridgepoint WF System. My buddie Terry Smith, developed the system, (he also brought skidders to us, a few products made and dist. through Dri-Eaz, Early stages of Injecta Dri. There was talk of Hi-Jacked drawings for the Extream Extractor.) I was lucky to work on a few jobs with Terry, He even came up and worked with interested New contractors who wanted to learn his system on a few of my WF jobs. (I was able to sneak a few buddies in to see Terry preform his Magic) and have taught the class myself. Have you seen those 8x11 flyers called Re NU for wood floors and cabinets? Terry sold more advanced stuff to them the same way he did with BP WF process.

You are so right when you said its all in the prep, We would swiffer after we dry cleaned (swept) the floors to make sure all the curlys and other stuff are gone. I am interested in your using the seebo and gls for scrubbing, we use the plum colored pad and boy o boy we could work up a slurry of sludge at the same time we were abrading the old finish so the newly applied polymers would have more surface areas to stick to..

What type of charges are being collected on what you did? I was $1.55 to 2.95 per sq for 2-3 coats witha $249.00 min chg. My Helen and I had a great system worked out and did many jobs for our clients.

Problem with 1 coat is that in all that we have done we always found some sort holiday we would have missed with out the 2nd coat. even with that said Terry taught me to leave an ounce or two with a flannal cloth so if they see or find any missed Holidays they can safely touch it up and it will blend in if done with in the next 24-48 hrs.
Thanks for sharing

lance

In the last pic the area closest to the window seems to be dry but also with little shine. I am sure just cleaning the wood made a difference, but what did you tell the custy to expect visual-wise? And what did the Basic company tell you about how the finish that you used would stand up to foot traffic and how long do you think it will last?

I talked to the west coast distributor for Basic at Connections and he said they have no sealant/protector for laminate flooring, just a cleaner (unlike Lam. Plus). If the Lam. Plus products go away what sealer will you use for laminate floors?

Thanks.

Name
Ron lippold
Bob next time try to find ultra chem labs product called slam dunk,You will be shocked at the difference. Its a little spendy though.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
lance said:
If the Lam. Plus products go away what sealer will you use for laminate floors?

Thanks.

It has been my experience that clients w/ laminate floors are too cheap to have a pro come in and do this service for them, especially if they put that floor in themselves. When I used Lam Plus products, I never once did a laminate floor, never got a call for one.

Bob Foster

Today I went back to look at the job and pick up some fans.

She is over the moon with the job. And so am I. So before one of you freaks pisses in my cornflakes and says lets see how long it lasts.

Let me say lets see how long it lasts.

It dried hard and non waxy and it wasn't 24 hours yet.

Beautiful!

After1.jpg

After2.jpg

After3.jpg

Bob Foster

The dragon just lightly sprays the surface. The next time I do a job I probably will turn it down. I won't use the wand on a laminate floor for obvious reasons.

The laminate process uses a spray bottle and micropad to clean the surface.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
No biggie, it appears you had no issues.

Maybe it's just my lack of wood maintenance knowledge but we always try to keep moisture to a minimum, so I was a little shocked at first.

Nice job thanks for sharing!!! 8)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom