"My Mother-In Law Is Complaining About the Noise..........."

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I had to go out on a WD extraction job last night about 10. Custys were in Florida, so insurance rep sent us out with a 2 hour window. (State Farm, I think). I get there first.....really nice neighborhood, higher income owners. Water feed line to toilet on 1st floor had let go.....probably a few days before, by the looks of the soaking. So I set up to try to save carpet by Water Clawing the 1st floor carpeting, and blocking up the furniture. Insurance company want's it done ASAP to try to save carpet. So about 45 minutes into the job, the neighbor shows up......short, older guy, and asks me if we could do this tomorrow? Seems his Mother-in law didn't like the sound of my TM, and actually thought we were cleaning. Being the polite CC'er I am, and I was about done with the extraction, I shut down the TM and went about other business in the house. Was about midnight by then.

OK....you WD guys and girls out there....what do you do in this case, if you don't have a portable extractor? Do you shut down or....screw the neighbor??

I was tempted to ask what he would do if it was her or his house that needed immeadiate attention, but I held my tongue.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Re: "My Mother-In Law Is Complaining About the Noise........

On rare ocassions over the years this has happened and we politely tell them what we are doing and that we are trying to salvage the homeowners belongings. Usually it isn't too long on a residential job esp by the time someone has come to complain about the noise and they always understand at that point.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

We get calls at all hours of the day and yes wee hours of night and early morning and occasionally we will get complaints too.

However we have yet to get pulled from a job due to noise. We've been cussed at, threatened even had the police show up but always allowed to finish the job.

Reasonable people will realize it is an emergency and while they are annoyed, they understand. Most wdr losses the extraction is only a couple of hours anyway. Most people can suffer through it, heck I've had people fall asleep on their divan's waiting on us to complete the job.

I would be as calm and reasonable as possible.
Let them know as soon as you can you'll shut the machine off. Also let them know you really don't want to work these hours either but their neighbor's home is in peril and mitigation must be done to keep it from getting progressively worse.

Many years ago Dan & I had a motel that had several rooms wet and an angry man came in livid. He was traveling cross country and said we woke him with the unit. Probably did too, it was a Prochem 800A and that puppy was loud. He screamed at us for a bit and when we finally listen to what we were saying he headed to the office with a full head of steam. He said "I'll get them to shut you down!" He came back even more angry and upset, they told him it needed to be done and if he didn't like it they would refund his money. He burned rubber leaving the parking lot. Dan & I just laughed. :mrgreen:

Bob Foster

When I get old and cranky like that guy just shoot me.

p.s. He also could have been nosey and looking for an excuse to find out what was going on.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink

Take flowers or a nice gift basket over to the neighbors and apologize for the noise but thank them for being understanding of the emergency.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge

Bob Foster said:
When I get old and cranky like that guy just shoot me.

p.s. He also could have been nosey and looking for an excuse to find out what was going on.

I do think he was just being nosey, Bob. He stood and stared from his driveway for 15 minutes.

(Take flowers or a nice gift basket over to the neighbors and apologize for the noise but thank them for being understanding of the emergency."

Hoody.....I should wrap up a box of bees and deliver them to the old bat!

Bob Foster

Hey, what can you do? Simply explain it was an emergency and you would think someone would do the same thing for him if it happened.

Ron K

Mikey. Next time when the cops ask you why you shot the neighbor tell them you thought his name was Bob.
I think the flowers/gift idea is brilliant.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge

Ron K said:
Mikey. Next time when the cops ask you why you shot the neighbor tell them you thought his name was Bob.
I think the flowers/gift idea is brilliant.

The flowers gift sounds nice, but what about the rest of the neighbors that didn't complain? The rest of the neighbors knew what was going on....it was an emergency. I think this certain neighbor had an issue with the homeowner that I was working for.

It's over....it's done. Carpet is well on it's way to drying, and the hard floors, too. And the walls....and the basement. Kitchen floor will be replaced. It was a laminate plank floor that wasn't worth saving. Now, if it was a hardwood floor......

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner

cleaning in a house today, very rich spot, waterfront, have to be million$ homes.
I had been running the truck since 1230-1 and it was 430, lady comes to the door (home owner had left for the day) and asks how much longer I'm going to be. Just one stair case left. Heard her mumble about the owners shouldn't have had the work done on a holiday (Canada day was yesterday so everyone with a J O B gets a long weekend)

I start on the stairs and then the vac dies and pressure dies, I run out to the truck cause I think I'm out of water. Engine was off. Key was on, pilot light still on (had fuel yet). I figure the woman turned the engine off and ran; been using this unit 3 yrs yesterday and not once has it ever stalled on me. Its not a coincidence that 30 secs after she leaves it shuts off. Lucky nothing was damaged. Can't be good for it to get shut off when at full throttle.

I felt like running it for an extra few minutes while I stand in front of the truck looking at her house.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger

If it were a fire and there were fire trucks, everyone would be outside from the neighborhood watching with anticipation and questions. All relativity. When I have had this happen on a water damage, I have gone around and thanked the neighbors for their patience as we tried to save their neighbors home. They then want details and are really glad you stopped by. Of course with data privacey, you can share so much (unless the homeowner has already shared details), but they love to visit typically with you the next day. Only had a few negative experiences and usually no one ever likes those "crabby pants" in the neighborhood anyway.

Mark Saiger

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom