My take on groupon different than the make no money room

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Bundy said:
We run our businesses different. I created a price point where I can make a living and don't need to put a below cost price(which hurts the industry as whole) to get into the home for the pressure sale. That is the bait and switch, offering a price to get in the door and pressuring to make your money. I have no problem with what cole and you do or anyone else, it is a business but don't p[retend and act like your doing the same type of work as some of us. It is okay to be what you are, embrace it

I am unsure how I got in this fight..... Please get off your high horse about the "quality" of the work that you do. Don't pretend that I do the same type of work. That is like a bathroom attendant telling another that he is a better toilet scrubber.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
gregcole said:
Please get off your high horse about the "quality" of the work that you do. Don't pretend that I do the same type of work.

Greg- I can pretty much guarantee there is no comparison between my quality and yours (or lack thereof), so no, I won't pretend that you do the same type of work.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Greg,
You and Brian have the same business is concept and I have no problem with different business models. Your business could buy and sell mine, I was pointing out that what I am pointing out to Brian has nothing to do with business model.

I was talking to a bunch of resellers in various businesses and other guys who manage and sub services out and ALL of them were big money guys and had very nice lives.

I do have better quality than 99.9% of the people out there and I am proud of what I do. I am not sure if you know how much those gas station toilet scrubbing companies make but it is alot of money and quality is a huge selling point so you should not look down on those companies:)

rick imby

Name
Rick
I have read this whole thread.

It has mainly been a conversation between Brian and Bundy.

I have a comment on Groupon.

I own a different business that is not doing very well. We did a Groupon "Sieze the Deal" in my town. In our slowest month of the year we did a 75% off coupon. We sold 834 of the coupons. We have been getting between 50 and 75 of them back per week.

Some of these customers are great, some of them we would like to just go away.

My goal was to get new faces into the business so we could strut our stuff. It is a One price all you can eat Pizza shop.

We have been able to "UPSELL" almost 70% of them who opted to buy a soda or beer also.

We hope to be Bait and Switchers. We hope to have baited them with the Groupon ad and switch them to regular customers.

We are losing money on the Groupon ad. I am very happy with the results so far on the ad. We were prepared for more business and ready to try and impress a new group of customers. Time will tell.....

If I were to do a Groupon Carpet cleaning ad the last thing I would do is a full house deal. I would do a two room deal to strut my stuff so to speak.

You guys are always badmouthing people calling them bait and switch. The key you keep forgetting in the B&S definition is the true B&S will not do the advertized job.

Will Bundy do a room for $25? No Will he do two rooms for $50? no Will he do three rooms for $75? no.
I believe Bundy is good at cleaning and making customers happy with the results.

Will Brian do the exact service offered in his ad? I am pretty sure yes.
Will Cole do the exact service offered in his ad? I am pretty sure yes.

I like both Bundy and Brian and I have intimate knowledge of Groupon. Be sure to make all the limitations on your Groupon advertisement Very Clear.

The Valpack advertisers used to get the abuse the Groupon advertisers get now.
Many successful businesses got started by using Valpak.
Many successful businesses will get new customers using Groupon.

The key is the business must have a feasable overall plan. Your business will probably change as it ages and will pursue easier jobs. You might not even do some of the jobs you pursued early in your career.

As I recall Mr Snow was considered a B&S for a long time but now is a respected member of this board.

Brian is very open on this board and takes a lot of abuse because of it. I appreciate this.

I do not agree Brian with your whole house too much work to do potential Groupon ad. If you are not able to handle the business professionally and in a reasonable time frame (60 to 90 days?) do not go after it.

There is not enough room to Upsell your whole house Groupon deal to get the deal to at least pay for itself.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
First off Rick I just posted my opinion about groupon and responded. If you don't agree fine. When you get into my pricing Yes I am $25 a room after the first room of $45 that includes a 175 prescrub and my prices are there everyday on my website I am not sure why that would be alluded to as a deception. I don't ever run false specials. I don't put a false price out there to switch in the home, I don't even sell in the home.

If you book a losing price to make it up on cheesy upsells you are a bait and switch and it may be a good thing for you but not for me

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I didn't want to do the whole house deal. I wanted to do my original 3 room deal but unfortunately that's the only deal Groupon would go for....because it hasn't been done (or not done often).

I put sqft limitations on it but YES, we will actually do work for the whole house for that amount. Believe it or not we WILL make money on it...not much at all...break even almost.

But I'm not losing money like the high and mighty here will protest. I should actually make a large sum of money from the entire campaign...and a hell of a jumpstart.
Let's not forget about the side affects of this much exposure. "Real" jobs will come along with the "Groupon" jobs.

I am the first to say this is a risk....and I could very well lose my ass over it.

That's a chance I will take....my subs are at no risk at all.

This is just a huge test for me....and believe me....if I get screwed on this....guess which board will hear about it first. :mrgreen:

I would hope that all of you would wish me luck....as I would you.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Bundy said:
First off Rick I just posted my opinion about groupon and responded. If you don't agree fine. When you get into my pricing Yes I am $25 a room after the first room of $45 that includes a 175 prescrub and my prices are there everyday on my website I am not sure why that would be alluded to as a deception. I don't ever run false specials. I don't put a false price out there to switch in the home, I don't even sell in the home.

If you book a losing price to make it up on cheesy upsells you are a bait and switch and it may be a good thing for you but not for me

I'm done trying to convince you of what I do.

But the fact of the matter is Your website says www.25dollarsaroom.com

BEFORE they see the contents of your website.

You just baited someone into your site ONLY to switch the program on them once they see the content.

If you don't get THAT...there's nothing more we can do to help you.

This is of course using our logic....not mine.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
FCC said:
rick imby said:
Some of these customers are great, some of them we would like to just go away.

My goal was to get new faces into the business so we could strut our stuff. It is a One price all you can eat Pizza shop.

We have been able to "UPSELL" almost 70% of them who opted to buy a soda or beer also.

Did I read that right? Over 30% didn't even get something to drink with their pizza? That doesn't seem very promising for more expensive upsells..........

I would think all those rich educated single females would at least want a diet coke

You're kidding me right? 70% upsell is awesome.
Haven't you ever heard of free water...better for you anyway...and you can get it right out of the toilet.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
FCC said:
Brian R said:
That's a chance I will take....my subs are at no risk at all.

There is no risk for the subs cleaning whole houses for $40?

Not if the square ft is low enough AND the jobs are in the same area.
These guys have trucks and TMs bought and paid for and they've done work for less.

But they are good at offering other services...well, some better than others.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
so you only contract people with paid for vans and truckmounts?

I am not sure but people always toss that red herring out there and I think it is almost as dumb as Groupon costs me nothing argument. Do you realize that as a business I break down my equipment cost over all jobs and properly depriciate. If someone spends $50,000 and says well I make what I make because its all paid for, NO you are in the hole $50,000 out of the gate and until you pay yourself back you are screwed, you don't make a dime until $50,000.10. Keeping a truckmount after fully depriaciated is money in the bank

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Yes, I know Greg...I was just sayin.

Fred, before I got on my Ice Tea kick all I drank was water with meals. A free cup and ice water from the soda machine....not because I'm cheap. lol...but because I drink a good amount of water and I can't stand bottled water.
And I can't drink soda...nasty and alcohol isn't my thing....so there you have it.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
That's a good upsell. shiteatinggrin

I was just trying to give some perspective as to why they weren't "buying" drinks.

All in all....pretty good to get 70% buying more....but it seems to me that he didn't have too much more to upsell.

But it's a neighborhood thing and people go out to eat usually once a week instead of once every 1 or 2 years like our industry.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I have a feeling he was talking primarily take out business not sit down at the pizza joint. I personally have never ordered a drink from the pizza joints when delivery or carryout... they don't sell beer and if they did it would be a lot more than the ones already in my fridge. Now sit down is another story.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Doug Cox said:
gregcole said:
Please get off your high horse about the "quality" of the work that you do. Don't pretend that I do the same type of work.

Greg- I can pretty much guarantee there is no comparison between my quality and yours (or lack thereof), so no, I won't pretend that you do the same type of work.

Quality? Quality....... - a clean toilet is a clean toilet. Perhaps there i no comparison is our ego's - but alas your quality is the same as mine......

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Greg you aren't in touch with us lower income people. From having to drop a deuce at many gas stations I certainly know which I am going to and which I am not

You don't weigh 300 lbs without shitting 4 or 5 times a day

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
don't need to. The question is how many finished carpets from your companies have you seen

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Greg or Brian- Can either of you give me a truthful percentage or an amount of callbacks you receive on say a quarterly basis?

BTW Greg - Your crazy if you think a clean toilet is a clean toilet. There are levels of cleanliness in toilets just like there are in carpets. You see, I equate cost of service with an allowable amount of time to perform said service. The less someone is paid makes them less inclined to do a complete job. That why in most instances "You get what you pay for".

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Doug Cox said:
Greg or Brian- Can either of you give me a truthful percentage or an amount of callbacks you receive on say a quarterly basis?

BTW Greg - Your crazy if you think a clean toilet is a clean toilet. There are levels of cleanliness in toilets just like there are in carpets. You see, I equate cost of service with an allowable amount of time to perform said service. The less someone is paid makes them less inclined to do a complete job. That why in most instances "You get what you pay for".

65% of my company is repeat. Is that what you meant?

Some people work a little more efficiently to get the job done in a timely manner.

Not saying you don't...but I do know some guys take hours to vacuum when they really don't have to etc.

On the other side, I know guys get in and get out in a flash and do crap work.

It really depends on the individual.

I used to be able to do a 3000 square foot house in way less time than it takes me now.....and the carpet will still be completely clean.

I'm just a little slower now...as will be most as they get older.

You get the picture.

Back
Top Bottom