My tribute to Jim Roden, Founder of Prochem......

Shawn Abbey

Name
Shawn Abbey
Posted this on the other boards, and thought I'd pass the news on to y'all....

I've been dreading this date, but it has finally arrived....

My Father in Law, Jim Roden, the founder of Prochem has passed away today from complications with his battle with cancer. He was 76.

When I first met him, he called me an aggressive little guy. I don't know why he would call me little, since I stand a stout 5'8". When I first met him, I knew he was a businessman and quite successful at it. I was told he made chemicals and machines for some people who clean carpets. At least thats how it was explained to me by his blond haired blue eyed daughter who attended the same school as I.

As I began a friendship with Sharon, his daughter, he and his wife Shelly would fly up from Arizona to visit on occasion or to attend a Board Meeting for the college I was attending. Usually, that meant taking us out to dinner and enjoying a great dessert with their other daughter, Ruth, and her husband Rod. Not to mention watching his grandson make spectacle of himself in his feeble attempt to get food into his mouth.

Times changed, and Sharon and I became more serious in our relationship. The time came to ask Jim for his daughter's hand in marriage. I had financial statements, and my past paycheck stubs all arranged in front of me, and made the call. After stammering out my request, I was expecting to hear him fire a myriad of questions at me. Those questions never came, he just said "Sure". So, in August of 1987, he gave the greatest gift anyone could give....... his daughter.

Fast forward to 1991, I began to think that office life was no longer going to work for me, so I asked Jim, what it would take to start my own business in the carpet cleaning industry. He said to call my bank and get a loan, and he'd see what he could find there at the Prochem plant. He sold me my first machine, and I thought it was the most powerful cleaning unit in the world. At least it was to me. It was a Prochem 100A, mounted in an 1985 Ford van with a 3 - speed manual transmission that shifted on the steering wheel. No air, no hose reel, no chemical shelf, just a few hooks to hang the hoses. I didn't care! It was my business!

Throughout my learning experience in the business, Jim was always available for any questions I may have. And he called me often to see how I was doing. Advice was free and frequent. And so, my bouncing baby business was born along with my firstborn son, five months later. It was 1991, the Gulf War was in full swing, the economy was struggling, and the game was on to make a go at this thing called a small business. All was well.

Now, our family trips to Phoenix became even more exciting. I could actually see the Prochem plant, see first hand what was the next innovation on the horizon, and meet with Jim's brother, Mike, who headed up the engineering and design department there at Prochem. All that fun stuff, and I could write the whole trip off! Whenever I was down, he would always take me with him to show me what the company was working on, or attend a dealer's meeting. That dealer's meeting was the most memorable. I got to lay my hands on a jet powered Truckmount machine, and watch it work! I was really excited to be an observer in this industry, and get to meet so many people alongside Jim. He would show me some of the innovations at Prochem, and I would get all excited.... Jim usually shrugged his shoulders, smile, and act like it was just another day. He must be excited, I thought. As I got to know him and his brilliance, I later surmised that his nonchalance was, in reality him hoping this new innovation would be profitable.

Throughout the time I've been part of the family, I can't think of anytime Jim wasn't available for advice, a positive comment, or simply taking us out to dinner. He never let me pay. It was his gift to us. He enjoyed using his resources to help his family, which was his highest priority besides the Lord. He enjoyed cooking and preparing the food for a family gathering, and more than once delegated the Bar-B-Que chores to me, while he hovered behind my shoulders making sure I didn't ruin a good slice of meat. Even when I did, he said nothing, and ate as if it tasted great!

Jim has been a great father in law, and a great leader in family, and business. I thank him for his endless generosity and kindness, that has left a legacy in my heart, and in my life. He's in heaven now, rejoicing with the rest of his family and friends that have passed on before him. He's now heard the precious words we all long to hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant".

We love you Jim, and thank you!

Read more: http://www.*********************/th...roden-founder-of-prochem.39146/#ixzz2KpkAqQEH

Chris A

Name
Chris
Sorry for your loss Shawn. Prochem has definitely been a pillar of innovation in this industry over the years. I cut my teeth on a prochem legend that had 7000+hours on it when my dad sold it.

Reactions: Shawn Abbey

Bill Bruders

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Bruders
Jim was a role model
Husband
Father
Brother
Mentor
Friend
He touched many people both inside and outside the cleaning industry.
He was the type of man we should all strive to be. Rest in Peace Jim we will miss you but won't forget what you taught us.

Mikey P

Administrator
We'll be thinking of Jim this coming weekend when so many of us who cut our teeth on the fruit of his labors gather to celebrate this industry.

Our condolences to you and the family Shawn.

Thanks for letting us know.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
So sorry to hear of his passing, few people have impacted the industry the way Jim & Mike Roden have. Personally their machines and cleaning solutions allowed our family to carve out a nitch in our local market. The Chavez family will forever be grateful for all that Jim & Mike done for us all.

Prayers go out to you & your wife Shawn and all the Roden family.

Jim Bethel

Name
Jim Bethel
Despite the grief that you and your family are no doubt feeling, thank you very much for taking the time to post a very fitting and befitting tribute to a great man. I last had lunch with Jim and Mike at the last Legends dealer conference in Phoenix coming up to 3 years ago, and like every time I met and chatted with him - he was always a wealth of information.

Our industry has definitely lost a giant with the passing of Jim. Our thoughts are with his immediate family and friends during this very sad time.

doylebloss

Supportive Member
Name
Doyle Bloss
My thoughts and prayers to you Shawn and all of the many friends and family of Jim Roden. He was a true pioneer in our industry and built Prochem into a great company. His many truckmount and chemical contributions were obviously just a part of his legacy. Every time I had the opportunity to talk with him, he was always a true gentleman. Your story certainly demonstrates that care and concern that he had for this industry was dwarfed by his love for his family.
I did not know of his love for bbq. Must be something in the presprays. I have a feeling one of his friends and friendly competitors met him at the gates to take him to the best bbq place in Heaven. God bless you and the entire family.

Name
Steve Lawrence
Sorry to hear this. Thanks for posting, Shawn. My first real truckmount was a Prochem 150 which we used for 12 years. Loved the fuel oil burner. We're still using their chems daily and appreciate the quality.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Thank you for posting this Shawn. I met Jim 40 years ago, and outside of my father, he was the most influential man in my personal and professional life.

My father got into the supply side of our industry through Jim, and became a trainer because of Jim. Everything we have and everything we do in our business goes back to him.

What he meant to me personally is beyond my ability to put into words right now.

I cannot imagine where I'd be without him having been in my life, and am still coping with understanding my life now without him in it.

Shawn Abbey

Name
Shawn Abbey
Very well said, Jim!

I would agree, he was one of the most influential people in my life outside of my father as well. I know how much you and your father meant to him. You both had an extremely special place in his heart.

I am forever in his debt.

Shawn Abbey

Name
Shawn Abbey
Thank you all for your kind words about Jim! My family and I will be heading to Scottsdale for his memorial, March 9.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom