Need Advice.Next Truck: How important is it to keep uniformity?

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
So looking to purchase truck 4.
I have 2 12' SRW chevy 3500 box trucks and 1 14 sprinter box.
My teachings say Uniformity, vehicles, equipment, etc...
Other considerations basically split the decision

Look at a 3rd 12' chevy box VS pro master 3500 long and tall

Any advice?

Carl

J

JS41035

Pro master. And an 870.
A new chevy looks like an 11 year old chevy. Fed ex is using pro masters. Plus in 5 years it will still look like a new truck.
The chevy vans might end up looking like dinosaurs by the time you pay it off.

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
Thanks for reply Justin, I know your partial to the new promaster.

Negatives of promaster
1. First model year...already 3 recalls....although minor stuff...no long term reliability data...Chevy is bulletproof. Even with their 100k/ 5 year drivetrain warranty , doesn't help me is I lose revenue if it's in shop being repaired.

2. 5k premium over box will take 5 years to break even in fuel savings ( with weight 14 ave mpg with promaster)

3. Smaller billboard

4. 2015 already getting facelift...2014 already getting dated

Once professionally wrapped, I don't think most customers will notice or care whether is a 10 year old dinosaur or new model

I do see it as future however, with the low deck
It does have 3 seats up front, dual airbags, back up sensors..

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
I would be talking with Brian he just had 5 new butlers arrive. I could name for you 5 large independents that all run the same set up.
You seem to be growing and want to grow.

How a truck will look 5 years from now has nothing to do with its function.
You have box trucks a wrap can make any pig look pretty.

I would be asking does your current layout and system work?
Do you already have a good organizational foot print to your vehicle? if so why would you be changing?

If you see the need to change How long till you can convert all your fleet over? What will be the cost to that?

We run 3 identical 1 orphan no one really likes to work out of the orphan.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Having the same system in each van has been beneficial to us....

A lot easier for each person to be familiar with one system.

Way quicker trying to figure out problems if occur and in our case, I can grab a part from one truck and try it on the other to confirm if said part is not working on the other CC machine, ect....

I live in WAY Northern Minnesota, and there is going to be no one around to analyze or fix problems except for ourselves.

I run identical Butler units.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Just have two vans and never going to expand.
Still from my little experience, I'd only go uniform. Vans and all other equipment.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
thanks for replys,

I would be asking does your current layout and system work?
Do you already have a good organizational foot print to your vehicle? if so why would you be changing?

both have near identical specs.. 6'4" interior height, 12-13' long, 80" wide square. So it would be the same set up.

If you see the need to change How long till you can convert all your fleet over? What will be the cost to that?

And that's the big Question....
For me, and every service company out there(not using PT0's), in a couple more model years, as they perfect promaster, and if they can close initial cost gap between chevy, (chevy raised pricing for 2014 and 2015 model years)..

I see no reason why anyone would not pick a promaster over any competition.(exclude over 5k towing)in the years to come.

Right now, the reasons i listed in my 2nd post, with the question of uniformity of vehicles is holding me back.
As it would be too much risk as of now, untill i see longer term reliability, purchase cost come down, to switch all trucks over any time soon.

So, in a nutshell: Multi Truck Uniformity(brand) > having an "odd ball" truck, even though it's the future. ?

What would Steve T. say?

Brian H

Name
Brian H
I say uniformity all the way!!!

If your vans look the same/similar then you get the benefit of building brand recognition. If they are markedly different then they aer just a bunch of one truck companies.

Every year we modify our new trucks slightly. To the casual observe they all look the same, but we can see the subtle differences. Our goal is to always have the same look AND to keep it looking fresh!! So far it seems to have worked.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We used to have trucks from each of the big three, plus a variety of cleaning machinery. Everyone hated something different about each one. Now that we have identical trucks and units, everyone can hate the same things.

Actually, uniformity makes maintaining the fleet easier, since the same things do go wrong. We keep far fewer spare parts in stock and get trucks back on the road pretty quickly.

We like the GMC van because it hasn't changed in 10 years. Our oldest truck looks just like the newest. If we did decide to make a change in trucks or units we'd just plan on slowly phasing in the new and phasing out the old, with a new layout only if the new truck allowed some extra efficiency.

Reactions: Brian H

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Now that we have identical trucks and units, everyone can hate the same things.
:biggrin:

I like uniformity too but somewhere mid stream we went to Chevy/GMC's over the Fords. Many years ago had half a dozen Dodges too. I like the Isuzu's trucks, they handle well but I'm done with cabover's. Too much bouncing. The last two boxes were Chevy with Spartan box.

9-Fords
7-Chevy/GMC
3-Isuzu
2-Toyota

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
We used to have trucks from each of the big three, plus a variety of cleaning machinery. Everyone hated something different about each one. Now that we have identical trucks and units, everyone can hate the same things.

All happy families resemble one another, each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.
Leo Tolstoy

I don't know why, but your comment made me think of that quote Bryan....and yes having once ran a multi truck cleaning company, I surely understand the things employees hate about trucks, machines, etc.

Reactions: Brian H

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
Here I am over 2 years latter asking the same question.

I searched this thread back up, as it had great feedback the first time

I am leaning heavy towards the pro master 3500 long and tall

The quote for ford was 10k more...

Re-reading Brian's / Tom's response, I think by casually looking, there both 2 large billboards...

Also over 2 years I'm thinking most bugs worked out

And now, with rebates, I can the pro master for less.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
I see no reason why anyone would not pick a promaster over any competition.
It's based on a 30 year old Fiat Ducato... you mean they still haven't got it right?
The van is the thing that gets the money maker to the job. PTO's are the easiest to have an employee learn, use and are generally more reliable.
Of the PTO's out there the Butler is the most tried and true and comes with a 10 year warranty.
Customers want to see a clean company van with your name on it...they don't care if it's a Ford, a Promaster or GMC. The van graphics should be uniform.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
From what I under stand the shell was the same, different engine, tranny and other thing due to America market created bugs to be worked out

I should clarify my needs are quite different that most everyone here...
Although I grew up on carpet in 86, now it's only 1% of my revenue..stone and hard surface = truck mount and tons of other related machine, supplies and chems. I build my units in house...geared for us... A much different design

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom