Need Help:Hydromaster

Name
Rick Scarpinella
My name is Rick and I want to share my story to see if anyone has had similar problems and could please guide me to a better fate. I’ve had my carpet cleaning company for 25 years so I’m very experienced and have tried many different things.

For the first few years I used a portable machine because I didn’t have funds for better equipment. When my business grew I took the leap into truckmounted equipment. My first bunch of units were always prochem slide ins. Those machines did work well but the maintenance became constant. I’m not saying it was always problems but oil changes were very frequent as I got busier and it didn’t allow me to have down time to relax and enjoy life.

In the early 2000s I decided to switch to direct drive units because I heard the maintenance was minimal. Even for oil changes I could just go to a regular mechanic to do the van engine. I could do the pump oil, blower oil, greasing regulator, cleaning orifice and greasing the drive shaft myself when needed. Over the years I’ve purchased about 12 Hydramaster truckmounts.

I take care of my van and equipment very well and have a great routine. I usually put about 5k to 7k hours on the machine then sell it to someone and purchase a new one. By the way everyone who bought my equipment was happy because I kept them so well.

I’m not sure if things have changed with the Chevy vans or the Hydramaster machines but for the last few years the problems are constant and severe. The heat coming from under the hood started melting Chevy parts and causing long downtime and high repair costs. I then decided to put fans by the radiators under the hood that go on once the machine turns on to help cool everything down.

Problems continued and got worse. The problems ranged from starters melting, master cylinders melting, to wires burning out causing constant misfires. Then the worst scenario, my 2013 van had the engine blown after only a few years and I was told I was out of warranty.

Feeling like I had nowhere to turn I had my mechanic rebuild the engine...so far it’s been ok at best. That rebuild was quite costly of course but I figured it was a weird fluke so I sucked it up.

Recently my 2015 van which was purchased in 2016 had the same issue and the engine is blown 2 years into use. With a purchase of over $70,000 this is unacceptable. The van only has 45k miles and the machine 3k hours. You may be thinking 5 year 100k mile power train warranty, if so, you were wrong. Hydramaster and fleet service company reps say they want to help but that van has been sitting in a Chevy parking lot for 2 months and nobody is calling me back.

I contacted Chevy again and they very nicely explained to me that these vans are not made to support this equipment and the machines should never go in the vans. They said the machine grossly overworks the vans. This particular van I even spent extra money on the 6.0 liter engine to further protect my investment but no luck.

I’m extremely concerned because last year (2017) I purchased 3 new Hydramaster machines in Chevy vans and I think I made a huge mistake. That is over $225,000 in purchases last year alone with two large companies, Chevy and Hydramaster, with no support for the small business owner who put all his faith in their machines and vans.

Hydramaster says we can’t do anything that’s a Chevy problem and Chevy says these machines don’t belong in the vans. Well where does that leave me? I’ll tell you. I’m desperate because my reliability to my accounts is compromised, I’m losing money daily, and my workers are frustrated. A once thriving business is getting jeopardized due to things completely out of my control and I’m losing my mind! Is anyone else out there having similar problems? Does anyone know and use different vans or a different truckmounted machine you could recommend?

I feel like Hydramaster is the only direct drive game in town and I’m stuck. I would sell all 6 vehicles I use daily in a heartbeat, even if I take a little loss, as long as I had proof that another company, vehicle or machine, had better support and lasted longer than a year or two without major problems like blown engines. I can’t believe that I’m the only person using this poorly supported, ill advised combination of Chevy and Hydramaster having these problems. Someone please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Art Kelley

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Go back to slide in truckmounts. From your description, the only headache is changing the oil every month. Just get a liquid cooled slide in. If you can sell your stuff and replace...replace. My Titan575 has been great. I've never used a CDS so my thoughts on those aren't worth depending on. But I have used a slide in with an air cooled engine vs a liquid cooled, and liquid cooled is the way to go.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Greg Miller

Name
DNA Cleaning
Rick,
I have a long history with both Chevy and the Hydramaster CDS. Up until about 5 years ago I worked for Coit Services, at the management level. We had the Hydramaster CDS in Chevy vans going back into the late 1990's and was the corporate and for the most part franchise standard. We must of had hundreds of units throughout the country in the field everyday. With that said I never experienced what you are describing, to the degree you explain. I do however believe there is truth in both sides. My feeling is the CDS does labor the motor and adds additional stress.
We fought the battle between GM and Hydramaster when issues came up, and there was never a winner.
I have been doing my own thing for 5 years and run a Boxer slide in unit in a Chevy express and have never experienced any issues as I did with the CDS.
Hope this helps

Reactions: Mikey P

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Dam...

What a bummer, direct drive was supposed to be my ace in the hole. It was going to make winter fun again. Pork holes, onboard water, etc...

Any direct drives have issues in fords?

Good luck, Rick. This totally sucks.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
although you would think that when someone says that they are melting parts because of engine heat ...this could be solved...but the solution to your problem is not one that anyone will have the magical answer to that is going to correct your issue 100%...I know telling you to get a slide in is not the answer your probably looking for...but IMO...gas vans are just not built to be sitting in one place idling with the RPM's jacked up to run a machine......and the newer these vans get with all this "newer technology" the worse they are...these vans are built to have air pushed into them as you are driving to force as much air flow to cool everything down...and just sitting dependinmg on some little fan to do this is just not going to happen....there is only one type of vehicle that is built to just idle at higher RPM's...and that is diesel...

Reactions: Mikey P

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Melting plastics Is a BIG DEAL!

Do you have picture of the damaged plastics?

I would think you would overheat and warp the heads (blow a head gasket) way before melting plastics under the hood from indirect heat exposure.

Last edited:
Reactions: ronbeatty and FredC

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I know it's not the answer but on hot days where the van was going to be running more that 2 hours, I used to put a snail fan in front of the van blowing on to the grill. Maybe the stock radiator fan isn't powerful enough.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I have always popped my hood open while running the machine.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Sorry to hear about your issues Rick. I have one question: Can you define what you mean by blown?

We've had exclusively CDS units for the entire time they've been available, and like your earlier experience we've had few problems. There were some HM issues that came from using automotive grade plastic in place of brass for some water fittings, but that was one year and easily fixed. For us, under hood heat has only required 50k plug wire changes. No components melting.

We've had two engine failures, both manufacturing errors on GM's part. One was a broken valve spring on an 08 with about 70, 000 miles. The broken part went through the valve and scarred the cylinder wall. The fastest repair was finding a like-mileage engine at a wrecking yard. The other failure just occurred on a 2013 truck with 38,000 miles. Something in the lower end broke, we'll see how the dealer handles it.

Another common GM issue is the power steering/brake booster failing, but the "Hydroboost" fails in everything GM makes, so has nothing to do with being a cleaning van.

There are stories of fan clutches failing and causing overheat problems in almost any vehicle; the fan spins but far more slowly than it should. The dirty cheap fix is to pin the fan to lock it at full speed all of the time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom