Need some advice on a bid..

Mikey P

Administrator
Huge job for me.

Close to 26K feet with six staircases' I'd say 75% of it should be Cimexed.

I've never done or quoted a job of this scope.

Maintenance staff has been using a pos portable as well as a CRB/MistNBrush on it which their not happy with and don't have the staff or man power to do it themselves any more. They want it done 3 times a year

I'm figuring it will take 3 of use 3 days to clean with 2 trucks and the Mex's

Should I charge what an average three days income is or go for broke and ask for .20 for HWE/VLM plus the steps which would come out to $1700 per day.

Last edited:
Name
Lee Stockwell
I remind the boys when bidding that it's a relationship business.

How good is your relationship (rep) with them? My daughter and I knocked out a combo job last night with a similar 3/1 ratio of encap/hwe 4k sf in 2hrs.

I seldom mention particular accounts or prices, but we got near 20c /sf.

Reactions: Mikey P

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I don't think you like these kinds of jobs so just price it into where' it is a likable job for you and .20-25 would do it for sure.

Do charge enough as you will most likely have to hit the areas you hwe with an encap for best visible results especially if they have been encap pong so long.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Probably would HWE the whole thing first service. Our top 10 worst jobs all were cleaning up after an in-house operation using portables.

.20 would be fine 1st service to wash away the sins of the past.
After that you should be able to do this in 1.5-2 days max.

We would be closer to .14-.16 then .10-.12 depending on how it laid out.

Mikey P

Administrator
They've tried out sourcing before and we're not hip on the 48 hour plus dry times

Long as in very, hose runs and lots of obstacles

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The cool part about big jobs like that is that you get huge halls, commons areas and funnel areas where the sq/ft just adds up. Cubes aren't as good but still not too bad and when combined makes for a pretty good job.

I think you'll be happy in the end. I know they will be happy with the product your company delivers.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
So lets back into this instead of all the half baked answers.

75% of 26,000 is 19,500 sf - a Cimex in commercial ready to go will rock at 3k per our 6.5 hours of cleaning in a 9 hour day is 19,500 sf done. This guy has 2.5 hours for set up movement and refilling. Should be no problem.

25% of 26,000 is 6,500 sf divide that by 1000 sf per hour with a RX-20 you have 6.5 hours. When he is done he can help work on stairs.

6 staircases at 1.5 hours per set of stairs 9 hour day 1 guy can handle them.

I would send 3 of my guys in and be done in one 9 hour day. What in the world could you be doing for 3 days with 2 trucks?

Read the hypothetical story problem people this is not a real job. If you bid like you are talking you will be sitting at home watching a lot of TV. LOL

Thanks' for yanking our chain Mike

Huge job for me.

Close to 26K feet with six staircases' I'd say 75% of it should be Cimexed.

I've never done or quoted a job of this scope.

Maintenance staff has been using a pos portable as well as a CRB/MistNBrush on it which their not happy with and don't have the staff or man power to do it themselves any more. They want it done 3 times a year

I'm figuring it will take 3 of use 3 days to clean with 2 trucks and the Mex's

Should I charge what an average three days income is or go for broke and ask for .20 for HWE/VLM plus the steps which would come out to $1700 per day.

Reactions: tmdry

steve_64

So lets back into this instead of all the half baked answers.

75% of 26,000 is 19,500 sf - a Cimex in commercial ready to go will rock at 3k per our 6.5 hours of cleaning in a 9 hour day is 19,500 sf done. This guy has 2.5 hours for set up movement and refilling. Should be no problem.

25% of 26,000 is 6,500 sf divide that by 1000 sf per hour with a RX-20 you have 6.5 hours. When he is done he can help work on stairs.

6 staircases at 1.5 hours per set of stairs 9 hour day 1 guy can handle them.

I would send 3 of my guys in and be done in one 9 hour day. What in the world could you be doing for 3 days with 2 trucks?

Read the hypothetical story problem people this is not a real job. If you bid like you are talking you will be sitting at home watching a lot of TV. LOL

Thanks' for yanking our chain Mike
an hour and a half a set of stairs!!!

i could do the whole job myself in a day for under $2000!

I did 36k sq ft at .15 cents all for hwe. One truck and it took five evenings. I could not work in the day. I know that is low but it came out to 5600 so I definitely made money. Being in Cali yea .20 cents sounds fair to me

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
no problem. I don't intend to dismount on this one commercial in large areas is not a per square foot question it is a whole different animal.
You don't quote big jobs that way and win bids.

You have to know your production rates and costs.

Most people do not do this enough to know what to do.

Going after sf first is half baked. Sorry not trying to get on a high horse. This is just basic job costing that most other service companies use. I had lunch with a friend on monday that runs a 10 million dollar service company and we had this same conversation.

"So lets back into this instead of all the half baked answers."

Don't hurt yourself getting off that high horse....:shifty:

Mikey P

Administrator
unlike some of you commercial experts, we actually plan on doing a great job.

You know like dry strokes, fans, post padding problem areas.

RX20 at that rate with a tiny little pto 400 feet from the truck and It should by dry by the next Aptos MF for Tom to do a hands on demo on Mold abatement.

Not to give the job site away to the local lurkers, here but lets just say there is a ungodly amount of furniture to be cleaned under and around.

Rutherford, you couldn't even do all 8 staircases that are WAY apart from one another and way more than 13 steps by yourself in one day.

and it's not like I need this one job to keep busy boys.
Pay up or call Chem Dry Charlie.

Mikey P

Administrator
I've had a cimex for going on ten years now.

Unless you have one big room full of clean carpet not requiring a second pass, aint no way you can scrub and run at 3K an hour.

unless you don't give a shit and just mow the lawn as fast as you can push it.

Sorry my CEO of Housekeeping, that there is permanent. And that one, and that one and that too.

J

JS41035

no problem. I don't intend to dismount on this one commercial in large areas is not a per square foot question it is a whole different animal.
You don't quote big jobs that way and win bids.

You have to know your production rates and costs.

Most people do not do this enough to know what to do.

Going after sf first is half baked. Sorry not trying to get on a high horse. This is just basic job costing that most other service companies use. I had lunch with a friend on monday that runs a 10 million dollar service company and we had this same conversation.

I kinda have to agree here. SF pricing can bite you. I've done jobs at rates that some would consider brutal. But I know the production rates in those situations.
Commercial cleaning is becoming a commodity in my opinion. Yeah it's a relationship biz. But you gotta know what your production rates are.
Sometime big areas fly by. And while it's nice to get. .20 psf. Sometime that won't happen. But you can still make money at a lower SF price.

Reactions: mirf and TomKing

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
so even if you cut those rates in half you still would only be there two days. I would think double wanding out of your big truck would only make you faster.

So this really is a bid. Huh who knew.

Mike Draper

When we cimex scrub, wand and studebaker we generally average 1,200 feet per hour in open areas. When obstacles get in the way we average a lot less. I always try and bid to hit a certain gross minimum per hour. I would do maybe do .20 here and our cost of living is half of your area, if not more than half?

Able 1

Name
Keith
Commercial bidding is rough.. This year I bid on one that was 10,000SF and the company I was bidding against said they would protect everything for $49. I was the highest, but they still went with me(I clean alot of condo's in this building) because of trust and personal relationship with management. I am refocusing on residential..:lol:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
doing and using what HWE VLM
Yep

HWE the worst entry points, stairs and a couple of locker rooms. OP with (2) Orbots the funnel and heavy traffic areas and encap with (3) Cimex the large open areas.

6-Leads & 2 assistants

4 hrs on site (32-man hours) 30minutes there and back. Left here at 7:30 back by 12:30

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Commercial is not just about the gross profit of the jobs but also all the support behind it.

This is a $10k job, how many residential jobs do you need to = $10k?
How many phone calls, estimates, call backs, reviews, mailers, emails, driving time, gas, etc, etc.

The average cleaner is going to need 50 jobs to = this 1.

Plus like tom said, even at .12 a foot the gross profit will be same or better then most residential jobs.
Sqr ft is like high school algebra, have to show the work HOW you came up with that number. The number itself is meaningless, well except for ego...

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Make money stick with the .20-.25 number unless you WANT to be competitive or feel you might loose the job and don't want to.

I get everybody's comments here and I think mikey doesn't like commercial let alone does he want to build a commercial division or build commercial client list in hopes of adding yet another truck and supervising late night and weekend work.

But hey I have been wrong one time before.

Not everyone's biz plan is the same and not everyone desires this kind of workload on a normal basis.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom