Need some advice on a bid..

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We can also clean down in the low teens but I can't pay the crews overtime. We have to book time off to compensate for those cleaning that day or use different guys that won't go into OT.

Commercial work is easy, like mowing the grass. Lots and lots of it to clean but you have to be competitive, efficient and work around their schedule, which isn't always the best hours. :neutral:

Its not for everyone but....we've grow accustomed to eating. :winky:

Reactions: tmdry and TomKing
Name
I'm Rick James
A couple of years ago or so I posted about doing 25,000 sq ft at a high rise downtown.. Richard and others helped me a lot teaching me about encap, which is what we did for the whole job.

I bid it at .20 cents.. it took 30 man hours (3 people, 10 hr day) with a cimex and two brushpros.

The job turned out great.. we had to clean up after the maintenance people attempt at cleaning the carpets..

Thanks again MB, Richard and others that helped get me into encap.

Ron K

Some jobs make good profit, some keep the lights on......is it really that dark in Cali? Charge what you want don't go reinventing the wheel. If they REALY want quality they'll pay for it if not book two more nice Residential jobs and you'll be ahead of the game and also sleep well!

Reactions: tmdry

Mikey P

Administrator
Some jobs make good profit, some keep the lights on......is it really that dark in Cali? Charge what you want don't go reinventing the wheel. If they REALY want quality they'll pay for it if not book two more nice Residential jobs and you'll be ahead of the game and also sleep well!

I priced it so we can buy new light fixtures as well if you do the math..

Ron K

I priced it so we can buy new light fixtures as well if you do the math..

What I can't believe is if you're margins are so tight you can't afford to pay overtime, why bother. After you quote it, if gas goes up a penny or two, you'll loose money.

Oh yea just say grow lights!

Last edited:
J

JS41035

I've never bid a job that I can't afford to pay overtime on. I just hate over time. 50% more labor. Slower production.

Able 1

Name
Keith
OT after about 47hours is also a joke for workers.. Why the tax rate goes up on OT hours is a joke! So, you work longer to get ahead just to get screwed by the government.. I think anything after 40 they should not get taxed at all!

Reactions: Desk Jockey

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Don't you think over time is just a reality for some times of the year? Your busy but not enough to really keep a guy for the entire year or to make the jump to that next truck or full time tech.

I would agree over time in a short 3-4 day period is going to give you slower production but over time with say 5 9 hour days and then another 5-6 on Saturday is just part of it some weeks.

We have historically slowed to 32-37 hour weeks in the winter.

Half of my crew on Saturday was probably in overtime. I never worry about it. I bid so it doesn't matter if a couple of the guys are loving the next check.

Reactions: Ron K

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Don't you think over time is just a reality for some times of the year? Your busy but not enough to really keep a guy for the entire year or to make the jump to that next truck or full time tech.

I would agree over time in a short 3-4 day period is going to give you slower production but over time with say 5 9 hour days and then another 5-6 on Saturday is just part of it some weeks.

We have historically slowed to 32-37 hour weeks in the winter.

Half of my crew on Saturday was probably in overtime. I never worry about it. I bid so it doesn't matter if a couple of the guys are loving the next check.

Yep...the winter definitely slower....

Don't work Saturday's....well I try not too, but that doesn't always pan out.

I also never worry about overtime. If we have the work, I am more than happy to pay the extra and really appreciate all the efforts to help us out too.

This was a terrible winter and one of the worst springs in many, many years, so we are working hard to make it up before winter hits again.

We are slowly making it up, but it just takes hard work and patience....at least that's what we keep telling ourselves as we work a little harder.

Hope all is well Tom! Enjoy seeing your posts.

Will I be seeing you in Vegas next week?

Take care,

Reactions: Bruce Humphrey

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
unfortunately not I have some family commitments keeping me here.

Reactions: Mark Saiger
J

JS41035

Slower Production???????

Yup. Most people don't speed up the more hours they work. And paying them more per hour doesn't help. I understand stretched out over 6 days it isn't as bad. But hourly workers in OT tend to go slower. Either to stretch it out or because the are tired.

Last edited by a moderator:

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
the missus and i do a couple of accounts that size. she pre-vacs, and i Cimex. we're there for about 15 hours...so 30 man hours.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
I don't mind a few hour overtime. It helps the team have a few extra dollars and spreads the workload out among team I have now.
Another employee doe not always save money if you add in training and other expenses.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We cleaned just under 20,000 sq/ft yesterday. 8-tech's, 6-machine operator's took them 4-hours cleaning time from start to finish. 833sq/ft an hour per machine but at .14 we still were over $100.00 an hour operating time.

The two extra tech's vacuumed and supplied solution to the operators and actually did some OTJ training. They had cleaned a little in the past but this job allowed them to get a little more time under their belt, despite this being wide open space the training will still help them as they can be used for more projects down the line.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
We cleaned just under 20,000 sq/ft yesterday. 8-tech's, 6-machine operator's took them 4-hours cleaning time from start to finish. 833sq/ft an hour per machine but at .14 we still were over $100.00 an hour operating time.

The two extra tech's vacuumed and supplied solution to the operators and actually did some OTJ training. They had cleaned a little in the past but this job allowed them to get a little more time under their belt, despite this being wide open space the training will still help them as they can be used for more projects down the line.

Dayuum, 20k in 4 hours :headbang:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
20,000/24 man hours= 833 sq/ft per hour per operator. I thought they were slow but that's they way it goes some times. :winky:

Actually since we were training two tech, 4 were doing much better than that but two were much slower. It will be worth it when they become fully capable of cleaning.

steve_64

i had an office that closed this year. about 9000 sq ft and a set of stairs. the roof had leaked the first time out and they were mostly concerned with the water stains.

3 hours on a saturday $900 me and a helper who basically kept the water coming while i scrubbed.

it was suppose to a yearly job but its just another business that has closed around here.

and yes they were very happy with the job i did.got a few referrals out of it.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The one we just did this morning was 14,000sq/ft, a 7-tech crew.

5-machines cleaning, two vacuuming and supplying solution, they did it in 4.5-hours. This project was a little harder than the one they did Monday.This one was spread across 7-floors, some floors we did completely some we did parts of, some of it we HWE, the majority was VLM.

We did charge more, just because the logistics added more time to the project.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom