Need supplier of Wool Yarn

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
I need a quality supplier of wool yarn for repairing rugs. We hand serge sides and our supplier no longer carries it. I found a supplier that carries synthetic, but I want real wool in assorted colors.

Name
Nate W.
Hit up Randy Hyde.... He has sent us yarn from his collection.... He does ask for a sample to physically match up... Or he can point you in the right direction to who has what you're looking for....

Reactions: Mikey P

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
I need a quality supplier of wool yarn for repairing rugs. We hand serge sides and our supplier no longer carries it. I found a supplier that carries synthetic, but I want real wool in assorted colors.
Chet (and others), we networked at Rug Summit and can get good wool, hand spun, etc. Randy Hyde and Robert Mann are good sources. Our next Rug Summit is on the dates of October 1 &2 at Joe Gabel's place, Serafians Rug Gallery and Rug Washing. He sources wool too and does repair.

ARCS has a hands-on skills event the day before. Lots of ARCS people source wool for repair.

I hope that helps.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Aparently chatalbash is not supplying yarn anymore. An online search for "appleton yarn" and you can find a source
also try local needlework shops many stock appleton ..which works well for most side repairs and some repiling. When we needed to buy a color of yarn we didn't have
in stock we would always buy 3 different colors shades to build our inventory. Theres nothing worse than a little touch up wrapping 1/4 inch and not having the color in stock to do it.

Right now and for a limited time Robert Mann has sets of hand spun turkish wool for sale it's about 38 large skeins for 1K seems expensive but it's actually a bargain considering
the amount of yarn you get, it's handspun, it's weaving yarn, ..the proper breed of sheep... texture, sheen, weight for rug wool and you'll never find it in a store.

I don't sell yarn. From the day I started my business we did simple sides to complete reweaves. From that point on I started building yarn inventory buying new yarns, old
yarns from retiring dealers & restorers, wholesalers we work with, buying raw fleece spinning & dyeing it ourselves..anyway we could get suitable yarns. Most of what's out there domestically isn't suitable (too soft, too thick, colors wrong,wool blended with ? ) for reweaves or repiling. If you are serious about repairs beyond basic ends and sides you need to build an inventory of suitable yarns and learn to spin and dye.

Reactions: Harry Myers

Mikey P

Administrator
Randy how many people work at your operation?
Somehow I got the impression it was just you, yet your (great) answer no longer implies that..

rmann

Name
Robert Mann
I am not sure how you get a job at Randy's place, but I suspect having a refined taste for micro brews is a prerequisite .

Finding the right wool for rug repair has always been a problem. For years Paternayn was the most common yarn in the rug repair trade. Some years ago it became harder to find and with the producer going through solvency and supply problems, it eventually became nearly impossible to get.

This has all changed. A company in Maine, Saco River Dyehouse, purchased the line and is offering it wholesale and through distributors. It's pretty much the same stuff we all used for years - not great, but useful in the right situation - and you can get all you want for the time being at a surprisingly low price if you order in quantity. The company web site - sacoriverdyehouse.com - will tell you all you need to know.

If you want to buy some naturally dyed handspun yarns from Eastern Turkey you can contact me via e-mail robert@mannrugs.com. We have a small supply that won't last long. It is nearly perfect for re-knotting Persian and Turkish village rugs and as Randy said you can't buy it in any store.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Mikey right now 5 people at my shop I had 6 last summer.
2- full time repair ..one is my wife
2 wash and service employees
...and me I bounce around today I'm splitting my time between the wash floor
and problem rugs and repairing fringe on a rug ...all thoroughly exciting?

What's really funny about this one employee is sick today and my wife and the other two employees had some errands and left early today. So as i tell you I have 4 people working for me i'm the only one on the shop right now...Slackers!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom