New Sprinter and 870SS

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
Just signed the paperwork for my new Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500 extended high top. *Im having a new sapphire 870SS put in it. First linex of Tampa is doing the entire 14 foot cargo area including the walls and ceiling. *Then a high performance hot rod shop is installing a fuel tank under the van for the 870SS. Im also having a raised mount made so I can put my electric hose reel over the wheel well. *It will probably be 2 weeks before I'm finished. *I'll post pics or a video when I'm done.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
congrats!

can you tell me, how does the bed of your new extended Sprinter compare to a Chevy Express or GMC Savana extended cargo van: a little narrower or a little shorter or ??

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
Yep that's right. I run 2 trucks and my father runs 1 truck in another county. We do zero advertising now and keep the 3 trucks full 6 days a week. We're happy with our small profit margins. We just have to go out there and do more work than the average CC. All of our work comes from repeat customers or referrals. The last truck I bought was a 2008 pro 1200 high vac that was white magics conections show truck with every option. I like to get a new truck about every 4 years

Reactions: JS41035

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
congrats!

can you tell me, how does the bed of your new extended Sprinter compare to a Chevy Express or GMC Savana extended cargo van: a little narrower or a little shorter or ??

The cargo area is just over 14 feet long and is 6 ft 5inch high. If you ever stand inside a empty one you'll be surprised how much room there is.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
Conrats! That's gonna be one badazz rig when its done.

Should last a lot longer than 4 years too.

I'm really interested in seeing how it turns out cuz I recently bought a couple long boy high top sprinters (used).

As soon as I get off my lazy butt I'm gonna install a gas tank and a truckmount too.

Keep us posted

Chris A

Name
Chris
Yeah your probably gonna want to keep that rig longer than 4 years so the depreciation doesn't kill ya, a set-up like that should hold together for a long time. Hell my Chevy van/CDS is getting on 5 years old and I figure on keeping her together at least another 5.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Congrats!

While I don't like the looks of the Sprinters, that still going to be a very nice setup for you. I'd love to hear how the 870 does for you, that looks to be a beast! :icon_cool:

Lance Golden

Name
Lance Golden
There is NOTHING not to love about the 870ss. Great machine for me, so far!
All said and done, I am glad I traded in my ThermalWave. (I had minimal issues with it) Ran great.

Congrats !!!

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
Hey Lance,

How much did they give you for the trade-in?

My thermalwave currently has about 3500 hours. It would sure be to trade up to a new 870ss.

Lance Golden

Name
Lance Golden
George,
$3,800. Had a radiator leak... The wet seals on the cat pump leaked, enough to drain out the water box overnight. The difference in repairs and inconvenience of waiting on a sale.. were enough for me, to take it... I could handle the issues... no big deal... I also needed the tax benefits... My truck is about paid for, I bought the trailer...

Last edited by a moderator:

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
The custom electric hose reels are getting Line-x tomorrow along with the van. Trying to decide placement of the reels. Remember the 120 gallon waiste tank will be on drivers side and the 120 fresh tank on the passenger side. The 870 will face out the side door. I have enough room to place all 3 on the drivers side but I don't think that will be smart for wait distribution. Fresh tank and reel on passenger or reel and waiste tank on drivers side. Its a 300 foot vac and pressure reels. Opinions please.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Lars

Name
Lars
That's going to be a great set up! Good call.

How big is the fuel tank you are putting in for the TM? Make sure to go big because that 870 is going to be a gas pig!

my Everest 650 hp is a gas pig and I fuel up every 3 days. 30 gallon tank

looking forward to see the picks!

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
20130222_012.jpg

20130222_013.jpg

20130222_172310.jpg

20130222_171851.jpg

20130222_003.jpg

The sprinter is backed in about 2 and ahalf feet further than the extended express 3500

Able 1

Name
Keith
I would go with the reels on the driver side, and chem. shelf on the passenger side...

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
With the weight of the machine coming out the side door. Do you think I can get away with the 120 gallon waist, 120 fresh and reels on drivers sideThis is the upgraded sprinter that has about 11,800 GVW

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
If I put the 3 on the drivers side I could line the passenger side with 175, Hoss, air paths, towelet, sink etc etc...

Able 1

Name
Keith
The weight of the truck mount will be more in the middle of the van then on the passenger side even coming out the side door. Is your waste tank stainless?

In my E-350 I carry over 165 gallons of fresh water..

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
The 870 comes with a aluminum waist tank a and the fresh tank is also aluminum. I have a apo with 100 foot of 3/4 inch hose so I hardly ever drive with any waist water ever.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Personally I would mount the water tank on the passenger side.. I like the reel on the driver side because it makes it easier to guide the hoses on to the reel IMO.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Chris
I haven't made my mind up yet. I might keep our oldest truck as a back up for our other 3. It a 2007 hydramaster 4.8 cds

Personally I would mount the water tank on the passenger side.. I like the reel on the driver side because it makes it easier to guide the hoses on to the reel IMO.

Yeah I would agree with Kieth on that I wouldn't put all 3 on the one side.

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
Lars, I'm having a 15 gallon tank put in. I hope I'll be able to run 2 days between fill ups.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Is there no room to mount the hose reels next to the machine? That's the ideal setup. Pull off the hose you need and hook it up.

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
do your self a favor and get a back up camera installed and also check out the side view camereas also

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
Kevin
I've been pulling them from the back for the last 17 years. I back into the driveway and run the hoses right into the house. I put my filter next to the hose reel.

Randy
I've definitely put a back up camera on the top of my priority list.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom