• Too much money.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Curt Johnson said:
Did someone mention my name???? :twisted:

For me the main reason not to buy one is I don't really need that much machine.......but I probably will buy a new big rig at some point in the next year or 2.

All it takes is about 5 minutes looking at a brand new one and I'm sold.

what a cop out :wink:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Too much wasted space.

If I'm purchasing a box truck, it needs to be versatile, we need space for water equipment and the Vortex doesn't leave much room for that.

The short box height would be a hassle, but I hear you can get a larger box if you want one.

Cab overs are awesome looking trucks and I love them, but I'm afraid if I worked in them every day my eggs would be scrambled from all the bouncing! :shock:

G

Although I love the look of the V and the AT, the huge billboard space, the room, etc... I think it's to much money. Perhaps if your business plan was to remain an owner operator it'd set you apart from the competition. Other than that...it's alot of money to spend on equipment when there's other equipment out there that can perform just as well or even better than both the V and AT.

I'll keep my Butler and continue to buy Butlers.

I'm getting 2 and 3 hour dry times now...a V or AT isn't going to cut that down or clean any better. It's the man behind the machine that does the cleaning...not the machine.

S

SmcKay

Dobs was saying you can get into the Butler at $65k well the AT is $70k?

If I bought a Butler loaded up with comparable tanks, reels, new van etc. the difference in price is just not enough to justify the overwhelming benefits of the Big truck. Endless heat and Vacuum is #1 image and marketing to the custy is #2 Dual wanding option is #3 Space for everything #4.

Believe me if I could justify to myself I could do the same job with a Butler I still would buy the AT for all the other reasons especially the minimal price difference.

If in the future there is say $20k difference I'll try to lie to myself that the Butler will clean as well. At high end homes more often then not I will prefer to stay parked on the street out of respect and I don't want them thinking it was me who dripped oil. So It is common to be 150' to 200'. I just know I will always have the heat and Vac. pwr. at EVERY job........

S

SmcKay

Hey I paid my .05 cents why don't I get the supporting member logo next to my name???

Scott, The part time BB user

JaminT

Lol... Vortex. where to start? Don't get me wrong, we are a BL distributor, and therefore now a V distributor, but the biggest city in our territory is just over 100k population. We don't have any high-rise apartment complexes (our highest residential areas are 7 storeys). And yet, somehow, we get people (idiots) coming to us wanting a Vortex. We are talking Mom+Pop companies, and new startups, and NOT people who clean Wally World, or Shopko (most of those companies have travelling crews who clean their stores, anyway).
I just have to ask, why the heck would you need a Vortex to clean Mrs. Jones' carpet? Nothing wrong with the machine if your market area warrants it, but otherwise... gg.

Greenie

"I just have to ask, why the heck would you need a Vortex to clean Mrs. Jones' carpet?"

I'm gonna guess, a simple answer would be cause you would like to dual wand for real, and have the heat for both as well as the tank capacity.

Time is money, even in MT.
And every so often it would be nice on a commercial job to run out 200' of hose on one wand, and 300' on the other and feel like the machine is 50' from you as you put the dollars in the tank.

There is no question, if Lisa and I stayed at the cleaning, our next truck was a V, and probably adding a third person to the crew.

G

Jamin,

It's a shame that you call your customers idiots. I am a solo operator and my AT saves me time and I can do a job noone by me can.

Dave

G

BINGO! We have a winner!

I heard that most are like that in UTAH too!

Chad

JaminT

Ok, to clarify: not that our customers are idiots, but people in a market area where they will most likely be doing nothing more than minimum service calls who think they need the biggest, baddest machine they can buy are like people who think they need to hunt rabbits with a 50 cal rifle. Overkill, plain and simple. I cleaned carpets for years with a HM CDS, and got great results and dry times that were plenty fast.
And, to go back to the "idiot" statement, the first person in our area with a "big truck" (he has a used Venturi) is the definition of idiot. This guy is a former Stanley Soaker employee, and he couldn't clean his way out of a paper bag. The machine does not make the business, the people running it do.

Oh, and i agree with you 100% there, Greenie, for commercial jobs that are big enough it would be great, no question. I get a lot of people wanting do DW on residential jobs, though, and i can tell you from experience that MOST residential jobs are not ideal for DWing. Most residential jobs, if you are going to run a 2-man crew, you would be more efficient to have 1 wand operator and 1 furniture-mover/hose-boy/groomer/customer-service-rep.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
"I just have to ask, why the heck would you need a Vortex to clean Mrs. Jones' carpet?"

i need space for area rug pick-up and delivery, i wanted a PTO unit i didn't want my clients rugs stinking like fuel or exhausts , diesel, i like the low box height, 2.5" and yes the WOW factor is nice too

why do you care?

JaminT

rhyde said:

i need space for area rug pick-up and delivery, i wanted a PTO unit i didn't want my clients rugs stinking like fuel or exhausts , diesel, i like the low box height, 2.5" and yes the WOW factor is nice too

why do you care?

yeah, the space for rug pick-up is nice, and they can be damn impressive.
there is nothing wrong with them. i am not bashing anyone who does own one, i am just stating (per the topic of this thread) why i would not buy one, and why i (as a distributor) would not TRY to sell one to one of my customers, unless they came in with a business model that would definately justify it.

J

John

Just starting my 3rd year and my sales are not where I need or should have an 80k set up.

That said, I would buy a V if my sales more than double in the next 2 years. I like the heat of my Powermatic and I believe the Butler, in spite or what Dob's said, won't match it and the V probably would.

carl goodson

John

I hope in two years the V will be around so you can buy one, but will they be around in three for support?

Why I will not buy a V
I really do not think they will be around in two or three years.
And they are not selling that many units.

carl goodson

John

Steam Way should be putting out new PM end of this year or early 2008.
Larger engine, larger blower, should have better regulation on chem and temp.

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
Hey Carl I've got 1K that your wrong.

Saying that Vortex won't be around in three years is like saying BLUEline will be a thing of the past in three as well. From where I sit BLUEline is an Oak.

Just so you know I take PayPal so it's easier to pay up when the three years has come and gone.

carl goodson

Mikey P & MicahR

We need reading classes here.
Or maybe glasses.
I have read and reread my post several times and have not found BLUEline, BLUE, Blue, blue or even bl mentioned.
I saw and said "V".

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
BLUEline bought the rights to Vortex.

Vortex is BLUEline and you will not have any problems that can't be handled by BLUElines awesome customer service since the 96 model. Pre 96 you still have support it just may take a little more on the engineering side of things.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom