One Headlight.

Mikey P

Administrator
My right Headlight has been going out every month or so..

Help me diagnose this please.
I'll start with the wiring harness looking for bare wire.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
LOL....................

OK....chances are that a new bulb would fix it if you are just having a wire issue and when you replace it it comes back on because you moved a wire......... (IE "I'll start with the wiring harness looking for bare wire.)

the reason why I asked is because if the bulb is burnt out......
then you have a hot wire that is more then likely loose and going to ground when you drive.........and it will blow out the bulb....(this does not always blow a fuse elements are weaker)

If the light is not burnt out then you have a loose ground wire that runs to the bulb that is doing the same thing......and you are moving the wire when you plug in a new one and as you drive it vibrates back....and you are throwing away good headlights. bad or loose ground wont blow out the bulb.......it just breaks the circuit ...........

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Is it one of the small halogen bulbs? If so when you put those in you have to be very careful not to touch the glass part of the bulb. The oils from your fingers cause it to develop a hot spot and burn out prematurely. I have seen them burn out in as little as a few days or it could take up to a a few months.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Mikey P said:
My right Headlight has been going out every month or so..

It is a shame when you are so busy that your lights go out more often than you do. I have the same problem but the problem is old age.

Scott Warrington

-JB-

Name
JB
F'ck it, just replace the whole truck dude!

Cheap A$$

:wink:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
The UD has driving head lights.meaning they are one all the time the truck is on....
so I don't think that if it had to do with touching the bulb that it would last a month maybe 2 weeks at best.....

Plus the type that my 1200 runs is not the type that would have to be concerned with...not sure what his 1400 runs........

T

The Magician

I have seen Mikey many times in Vegas with one headlight.....LOL

G

Your problem is that you touched the bulb. Wear latex gloves when installing it. If you touch it clean it real good with rubbing alcohol and that will solve the problem.

Dave

G

Mike,

It's possible you touched it when you were putting the light in the socket. There is not a lot of room to work there. Try it wearing gloves. It just takes i slight touch with those bulbs.

Dave

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
ok yes go from where it plugs in and work back...looking for loose or corroded wires...

another option is a short in the head light switch it self....

had this happen to me driving 80 on some rural roads :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

oh did i mention it was a new moon to??? and pulling a 7000 lbs trailer :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

thank gawd for driving/fog lights...my hand flipped those on so fast....whew

oh yeah that night it was snowing in the mountain pass to.........WITH NO CLOUDS IN THE SKY :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

shaun

Hey Mikey my driver side head light has been changed twice so far and the head light in the cab has never worked properly. And at 60 mpg the UD shakes like a mother !!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
might want to get that checked

I set the cruse control for 75/80 all the way back from Mn and she was as smooth as glass.........

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Mikey P said:
Cruise Control????

Yep .............its the setting on the right...............

100_2157.jpg

G

Jim,

Just so you know. You are not supposed to drive the UD over 70 Miles per hour. It redlines at 3000 RPM at 70 Miles per hour. It tells you this over the drivers door.

Dave

G

That's wierd Jim. Must be the Hino engine that redlines at 3,000 rpm. When you are doing 70MPH what RPM are you turning. I know my older UD's also said no more than 70 MPH except they didn't have a tachometer.

Dave

Rachelle

Headlight

Any chance that moisture / condensation is getting in there and shorting it out?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom