Peroxide turning white cotton bright yellow

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
Testing a 4 month old Cotton fabric form Quatrine, a few dog spots, drool, pee and ? (Slip cover that is supposed to be washable). We did some pre testing because we want to clean it intact and not remove it. If we test Peroxy (Peroxide with Glacial Acidic acid) on the zipper side it turns bright yellow within a hour or two. Does anyone have an explanation on why a solid white washable cotton would turn yellow when exposed to peroxide?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Not an answer, but why do you use the peroxide with glacial acid?
Why not just peroxide or white cotton cleaner (reducer)?

Boy, you're running into a lot of challenging situations lately.
Sounds like you should apply to the previous sofa to restore the yellow :winky:

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
Peroxy form Jondon is Peroxide with Glacial Acid (so I've been told). I think the acidic acid preserves the peroxide from losing it's oxygen? Yes we try to resolve a lot of concerns for our clients and get a lot of challenging experiences. I've seen this problem before but on older fabrics that were cleaned previously, and used to chalk up the odd results to a chemical cocktail from previous cleanings. This time I'm sure it wasn't cleaned yet and now I'm curious as to why this is happening?
These are the tests on the zipper side of cushion. We tried to rinse and then use reducing agent, and browning treatment on separate spots to see if it will reverse, letting it dry overnight to see results.
2014-10-09028.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
Spots have been rinsed and I did try ammonia, Red1, Browning Treatment. Not too worried about reversing it, it is on the zipper side. But why would this happen?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Oxidizers are always a last resort. They damage fiber and fabrics. Don't use them unless you're in trouble.
That being said, there's no reason I can think of for an oxidizer to turn 100% cotton yellow.

It might not be 100%, but have a high percentage of polyester, which may yellow in contact with an oxidizer.

If Quatrine uses Chinese-sourced fabric, it's a box of chocolates.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Your "concoction" of Hydrogen Peroxide and Acetic acid is a prescription for chemical "burning" (strong oxidation). The Hydrogen Peroxide reacts with the acetic acid to produce an organic peroxide called Peroxyacetic acid, or sometimes referred to as Peracetic acid. Peroxyacetic acid is very STRONG oxidizer, comparable to chlorine bleach (sodium hypochlorite) and can easily chemically burn natural fibers, and completely bleach out synthetics, such as nylon. Chemical oxidative burning of cotton produces a yellowing and degradation, even holes. The most common usage of Peroxyacetic acid in our industry is for mold stain removal on wood, drywall and brick (by mixing Propylene Glycol Diacetate and Sodium percarbonate) . There is no reasonable application for carpet or upholstery, because of the extreme risk of damage described.

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
Shawn, I have been told that Proxy from Jondon, and Encap Hydrox, are peroxide with Glacial acidic acid? Maybe I am misinformed about the acidic acid? I always figured the glacial just stabilized the peroxide, I have used both products many times without this occurrence. There is a reason we pre-test, but I'm still stumped why seemingly normal cotton would turn yellow? This also takes several hours to turn yellow.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Can you unzip it in the back and clip an edge of the fabric for a burn test, to see if it is actually all natural or some synthetic blend in there?

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Well, I don't think the problem is Ph too low. Proxi lists Ph as 7.75 to 8.15 so it's slightly basic, not acidic. Also no mention of glacial acetic acid on the SDS.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Your "concoction" of Hydrogen Peroxide and Acetic acid is a prescription for chemical "burning" (strong oxidation). The Hydrogen Peroxide reacts with the acetic acid to produce an organic peroxide called Peroxyacetic acid, or sometimes referred to as Peracetic acid. Peroxyacetic acid is very STRONG oxidizer, comparable to chlorine bleach (sodium hypochlorite) and can easily chemically burn natural fibers, and completely bleach out synthetics, such as nylon. Chemical oxidative burning of cotton produces a yellowing and degradation, even holes.

Peroxyacetic acid is extremely irritating to some people .

Some cleaners made this compound in a customers house . . .
and the family had to move
out for a week . . .

Larry

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Chet,

Thanks for the product clarification. You should probably contact Rochester Midland (manufacturer of Proxi) to see if they have any guidance.

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
It's definitely 100% Cotton, talked to the furniture manufacturer. My technician protected the fabric with MicroSeal and protected the zipper side where we did the testing. Since I found that out I'm thinking there is a link to the MicroSeal and Peroxide product? Still doesn't make since but I've seen cotton turn highlighter yellow before. I also did some more testing and it only seems to turn yellow when subjected to sunlight.
My real question is how can a naturally white fiber like cotton turn highlighter yellow and not be reversible? I've seen cotton get chemically burned and that is a different color and condition.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
Larry, we never make our own products. We use off the shelf products. When I spoke to you several weeks ago, you mentioned that Releasit Hydrox was Peroxide with glacial acidic acid. That is what it is, isn't it?

Ron K

Why are you using a Spray and go SPOTTER on White Cotton upholstery for cleaning? I would use a for Cotton Upholstery cleaner and if concerned rinse with a sour and maybe post extraction mist and then Towel Dry and use fans. Walah! Chet I think you're over complicating it. Why, will drive you crazy.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Silicone is inert so shouldn't have a negative reaction with too many cleaning chemicals.

Don't know if your product has additives, but I remember silicone protectants of the eighties having a UV blocker additive that would turn yellow, and since the yellow could not be removed the treated items had to be replaced. I think the yellowing occurred over time though, not right away.

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
Just talked to another distributor of MicroSeal with same problem. He was able to correct with Sodium Metabisulphite, and some CSS from CTI. I think it might work, I believe it's a reaction from the MicroSeal and oxygen and only turns yellow in sunlight. I'll experiment tomorrow.

timnelson

I've seen the type of problem you describe. Certain types of silicones are well-known for oxidizing to form bright yellow reaction products. As a matter of fact, some silicones can yellow very gradually over time. Atmospheric pollutants seem to accelerate the problem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom