pick up and delivery fee

WISE

I am trying to come up with a fair fee for a client that has 4 HUGE area rugs to be picked up, cleaned, delivered and reset in position.

The average size of these rugs is 38' by 22'.

I am having trouble coming up with a number for the p/u and delivery of these beasts.

Oh and they are about an hour away from here so gotta figure that in as well.

thanks for any suggestions--

WISE

Pmatte

Name
Patrick Matte
For a full immersion clean and all that it entails,we would normally charge $3.00 but for the extra service necessary to perform the clean, go ahead and add on another $.50 per foot.
It also wouldn't hurt to ask the client to remove any breakables,electronics,ect...off of the furniture before pick up and delivery.
A two-three person crew should be able to handle it.
If you get a chance,take some pics and post them,I would like to see the rugs.
Patrick

rhyde

Name
rhyde
what kind of rugs?

Can they be folded for transport can you bring them back folded without leaving crease marks?. i cant imagine these are flatweaves.... Dhuries, kilims If not and they can't be folded you'll need to rent a 22-24 FT ryder truck to transport and you will need extra help moving the rugs there's no way in hell 2 guys cant carry unless it can be folded ? a pile rug 22' x38' ..even folding a rug that big with two guys is a PITA i say 4 guys

round turn

Rental truck 2 ways 500.

3 guys + yourself 1,000.00 ....Temp help 250.00 per man (don't be an ass pay them for a full day)

Total $1,500.00 you can pad some of this in the cleaning price by raising it

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
We sat down not long ago and calculated what our hard cost was on pick up and delivery. We were shocked to discover that it was about $150. It caused us to double our s.f. price for pick, delivery and cleaning. We have cleaned a lot of rugs over the years at a loss.

John Buxton

those rugs are huge, I'd clean them on site. Course I don't have anywhere to clean a rug like that anyway.

-JB-

Name
JB
Don't worry about the price, go w/what Randy suggested, he's been around, also, if they can afford rugs that large, yet alone a house large enough for two rugs that large, price is no issue, I'm sure you already know that :wink:

Have you given any thought to simply hiring a moving co. to do the grunt work?

Good luck.

WISE

JB--

We get some referrals from a moving company--spoke with him today. He is going to handle transit.

They have to be removed--he is having the hardwoods refinished.

I can fit them one at a time in my new Rug Spa--however, only fit one way and have to be unrolled 3/4, roll up that side then clean the remaining 1/4...Or could take up my buddy at moving company and use his warehouse. The latter sounding much easier.

Thanks guys for the ideas.

Randy--I always appreciate your insight. I will get back on the rug id...the biggest one is an action backed custom level loop he had made. The other 3 are not that large--39'x12' and two like 14' x 16's. Those are of Persian (I think) origin but not sure of exact id. It has been about 6 months since I have seen them and don't remember (or more likely did not know what I was looking at). Been studying a good bit since then tho.

WISE

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Do you know why they want them taken off-site? The only reason I can think of to take these away is to get them out of the way during some other activity, and they're trying to get you to perform pick up, delivery and placement for the price of cleaning.

Four guys (why try to save the customer money while hurting your guys?) $400 per hour. Four total travel hours, pick up and re-lay three to four hours = $2,800 to $3,200. If they move furnishings and roll them up for you, you may charge only the $1,600 for travel. If they'll put them in the truck for you, charge $500 for the two trips.

Plus the cost of cleaning.

Don't be surprised if the work that required off-site cleaning takes more time than they thought. You may be storing these for awhile, so come up with some pricing for this as well.

PS: Don't allow them to provide on-site help to reduce their costs unless they'll load the rugs in your truck! My experience has been that most of the reluctant to work people that have been provided as on-site help have been worse than worthless, actually getting our guys injured when they mishandle rugs.

WISE

Yeah Bryan--He is having hardwoods refinished. (Wish we could have gotten that deal!)

Just from past experience with him, price is not an issue. He is a get it done SMOOTHLY and I will pay whatever kinda guy.

His people are removing all furniture/fixtures but the rugs are all our responsibility from roll up, transit, clean, and re-lay. No furniture etc. on our end.

WISE

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Got called away between starting the reply and posting or I would have had your additional information. Sounds like you don't need four guys, or the amount of on-site time I estimated. Do charge as I suggested though, a moving company would charge more, and I expect your client knows this.

I would definitely borrow the warehouse space to clean the large level loop custom. If it is piece fabricated it will need to be extracted and left to dry flat anyway. Just remember to clean the floor prior to laying out the rugs.

PS: A 12x39 Persian would be a very odd rug.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom