Pioneers

Valvetrain

Who are the pioneers in our industry? Seems as though there are two sides to this cleaning industry. The carpet company and/ the manufacturer .

Farenheit251

I'd say the guys who built or radically improved the first truckmounts. Bane,Judson and the stanley Steemer guy.
I saw an old Chemlawn TM once(they intended to have the guys do carpet clean during the winter when lawncare was slow). Eight HP w/ a number 2 blower. Imagine trying to clean jute back shag with a 2 blower. In 1975 Stanley cleaned my parents shag-wet 3 days and it actually shrunk and pulled off the tacks.

Bjorn

EZ freeflow

Judson Jones he invented the BIG TRUCK MOUNT #8 blower to clean Astoturf for NFL foot ball stadiums
Had the first patent on the carpet cleaning wand and a bunch of other stuff

Mikey P

Administrator
Welcome to the Hate Board Ara!

pi?o?neer
??/?pa???n??r/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [pahy-uh-neer]
Use pioneer in a Sentence

1. a person who is among those who first enter or settle a region, thus opening it for occupation and development by others.
2. one who is first or among the earliest in any field of inquiry, enterprise, or progress:

Since most true pioneers are either dead or dieing, lets talk Industry Rock Stars that don't frequent ***

Let me introduce you to a few.

Ara please meet Jim Pemberton, Shawn Forsythe, Tony Wheelwright, John Guerkink, Brian O'Halick, Les Jones and family, Ken Snow, Wayne Miller, the Cermaks, Lisa the Glide Gal, Lee Senter, Richard Chavez, Terje Brevik, Greenie, Randy Hyde, Shorty, John LaBarbera, Jim Eckman and a ton of others that would bend over backs words to help you out.

You wont find a more honest group of real Pioneers anywhere on this World Wide Frontier.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Pic 1
nightingale.jpg

Pic 2
EarlyVacuum.jpg

Pic 3
OldtruckWW2vacuum.jpg

Pic 4
FirstTM.gif

Pic 5
aTeaser36.jpg

Pic 6
EdYork.jpg

Pic 7
dept27.jpg

Pic 8
GreenieJudson_IMG.jpg

Pic 9
BobWittkamp.jpg

Pic 10
PatchPL1.jpg

Pic 11
BillY1.jpg

Pic 12
ShortyPatch.jpg

Pic 13
ClaudeBlack.jpg

Pic 14
Grumpy.jpg

I'd guess that many of you do not know what many of these pics are about, so lets have a bit of fun - start guessing.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Hey Ara
I our family did a lot of following of Pioneers.

Ed York, Cliff Zlotnik, LLoyd Weaver, Claude Blackburn, Murray Cramer, Lee Pemberton
and many others.

Thanks Mike, our company was benefited greatly from the path theses giants blazed for us.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Valvetrain said:
Who are the pioneers in our industry? Seems as though there are two sides to this cleaning industry. The carpet company and/ the manufacturer .

Welcome aboard, Ara, and a great question.
I would add a third element to your question and that is the Instructors.

A couple of folks missing from my list would be Bill Bane, the guy that started Stanley Steemer and John Bolton who first made a portable extractor in the UK in 1965.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
harryhides said:
Pic 6
EdYork.jpg

I'd guess that many of you do not know what many of these pics are about, so lets have a bit of fun - start guessing.

OK, the file name tells me this is Ed York, but framed with a toilet seat??

And the guy in #7 looks like a troublemaker - I would ban him....

harryhides

Name
Tony
dgardner said:
harryhides said:
Pic 6
EdYork.jpg

OK, the file name tells me this is Ed York, but framed with a toilet seat??

And the guy in #7 looks like a troublemaker - I would ban him....

What part of "guess" is it that you don't you understand ?

It was Ed's most prized award - the shit disturber award that he got from ISCT and was hung right over his desk.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
The Rench family with their work both with Host and Von Shrader

Bob Hughes and Dan Savanuck who founded Chemspec and coined the term "Traffic Lane Cleaner"

I would agree with Tony Wheelwright that the one person with the most overall influence (whether you agreed with his goals or their results) was Ed York

Certification: IICUC (later to be IICRC) and Certification Registry
Early Advocate for Hot Water Extraction
Later advocate for Low Moisture Cleaning
SCT - ISCT -SCRT
Cleaning Product Distribution
Original marketing ideas and programs

Most anything we do or are associated with in cleaning today was in some way influenced by Mr York.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Very early Carpet sweeper - The Hatlinger "Champion"
This is an early sweeping box from 1873.

EarlySweeper1873VVR.jpg

The Bissell Co. has promoted this type of sweeper since the late 1800's and continues to sell it in today's market.
The Bissell Crystal Sweeper
This sweeper was used by salespeople to demonstrate the cleaning action of the brush. The glass top gives a clear view of the black and white bristles. Their colors easily allow the viewer to see the dirt that is picked up. The Bissell logo is actually etched into the beveled glass cover.

BisselSeeper1880.jpg

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Some of the early steam cleaning portable machines were Deep Steem, Steamatic, Steam Genie, Steam Way (International Equipment)

Not people. I know.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi guys:

The last patent search I did, I found Bates (Big Red) had the oldest of the type TM we use today. BTW, I worked on one Big Red. A 4 cyl motor that ran the solution through the engine to cool the engine, and heat the solution. It had a only 5 gal. waste tank, becasue it had a great pumpout (like a modern one, way before anybody else).

The guy I worked for it on used it in a boat to clean other boats. I always wondered if he was'nt just pumping into the lake? IMO that would probably be OK, since the 5 gal tank did catch the debree. Providing he used eco. friendly solution.

Thx,
Dale

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
The Von Schrader ads in magazines I read as a kid in the 60's were the first time I ever heard about carpet cleaning. It never dawned on me that thats how I would make a living for the next four decades. Francis Von Schrader was probably the pioneer of this industry selling thousands of his carpet, upholstery and wall detergers to people wanting to be self employed, starting in 1935.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Dale said:
Hi guys:

The last patent search I did, I found Bates (Big Red) had the oldest of the type TM we use today. BTW, I worked on one Big Red. A 4 cyl motor that ran the solution through the engine to cool the engine, and heat the solution. It had a only 5 gal. waste tank, becasue it had a great pumpout (like a modern one, way before anybody else).

The guy I worked for it on used it in a boat to clean other boats. I always wondered if he was'nt just pumping into the lake? IMO that would probably be OK, since the 5 gal tank did catch the debree. Providing he used eco. friendly solution.

Thx,
Dale

I bought the VERY FIRST "Big Red' that came down the line....it had a big arm across the front that would engage the clutch...that was a Perkins 4 cyl diesel!

ran it TWENTY YEARS...
and Gene Bates WAS a character!!!

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Dale said:
Hi guys:

Thx,
Dale

My Steam Way Turbo-Matic truck mount from the mid 1970's had about an 18 gallon waste tank but had a standard pumpout system. It also came standard with 2.5 inch vac hose and number 5 blower

Valvetrain

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Odin, looks like a 78 patent. I heard Bates was from Chicago and then he moved out to California with someone elses design.

G

Grumpy's a great guy! He called me and we spoke for quite a while when I won the invisible TM.

John Watson

Claude bought his first Steam Vac shaft drive (the predecessor of the Hydra Master CDS) in 74 or 75 installed in a dodge van

Dr Edgar P was proud of that their picture and frame!!!!!

Jims dad Lee looks the same.

Les's Dad Judson is a hoot.

I miss my bud Bobby Witcamp.

Paul Lucus is another welth of knowledge source.

Shorty, well What you see is what you get. 100% No brag, no Bullshit Just facts
you jest gotsa adjest you fibocles to gits the full meaning of his sayings......

Ol Claude his own damnself, He is a true flier today.. Jets an everything ya know..

Appreciate the time I was able to spend with Grumpy at the Fresno winterfest and a couple of connection trade shows...

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
got a Big Red that was bought orig in 1980, Perkins 4108, has the clutch arm Bob was mentioning.
I stopped using it july 08, its sat since but I could put a battery on it and she'd fire up right away.
Did so many mods, it wouldn't fit that patent description any more

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom