Plastic feet on sofa left stain.

Becker

Name
Becker
Did a vacant house. I guess the stages came in right after me.

House is now sold and the staging company wants me to be their hero.

I've heard of plastic bleeding. But have never seen it.

From what I hear I'm looking at 1/2 a doz stains about the size of a golf ball.

Confirmed it was dark plastic legs.

Thoughts?

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
It's been said that the screws that hold the plastic legs on will sweat from the trapped moisture, causing the stains. I've seen it before. The best bet is to tab or block everything.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
I'm not heard of that from plastic unless of course like other poster said there was metal screw that left a rust stain which would be easy to get out. Let us know what you find

Last edited by a moderator:

Becker

Name
Becker
The house was vacant and empty. Nothing to tab.

They sent a pic of the leg. Typical plastic leg.

I'll be heading over shortly.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
There was a buliton out for this a few years ago. Some plastic is defective and the color will leach out. I have encounterd this several times. The color can range from orange-brown. Every time I ran into it it was permanent. I've even seen it on the wheels on bed frames. Try to be a hero. But, atleast you now have more knowledge about the cause. Be cause, if is from the color leaching out of plastic the chance of cleaning about them out is near zero. You now have an explanation.

Last edited:

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I used to get these from a furniture retailer and the claims department bought several carpets because of it. I don't know if the company that manufactured the plastic or the legs paid for it?

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I've seen it before and it wasn't from a metal screw, just a solid plastic foot on the bottom of a cheap cabinet. I was unable to effect it in anyway.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
We see it here in fla quite often actually..it's very humid here most of the year..

It's perm from my opinion. I've tried everything on it.

I see it on plastic furn legs and beds
Dave

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Plasterization is what I heard it called. It is permanent. Just had another one this week on a berber of all things.

Have had a couch where 2 out of 4 legs left marks ( at opposite ends and sides of the couch)

Some bad stuff!

Mark Saiger

Becker

Name
Becker
Plastic for sure.

Nothing I tried did anything.

Left trying stain magic.

Got my repair guy on stand by....

Crazy... Must have been from China

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
I've seen the type Dave mentions probably a dozen times, cylindrical casters on bed frames. Stain is almost a reddish pink...never got them out.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
We had one about 15 years ago. Had our guy retuff four 1 inch squares. It was a bit pricey, but it beat replacing it and the customer was happy!!

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
There was a buliton out for this a few years ago. Some plastic is defective and the color will leach out. I have encounterd this several times. The color can range from orange-brown. Every time I ran into it it was permanent. I've even seen it on the wheels on bed frames. Try to be a hero. But, atleast you now have more knowledge about the cause. Be cause, if is from the color leaching out of plastic the chance of cleaning about them out is near zero. You now have an explanation.

I'm with Dave here, if it wasn't rust leaching from the screws. Heard it in one of the carpet cleaning classes I attended years ago. It isn't new.

Name
I'm Rick James
Good to know, looks like we are going to start using the sticky tabs on plastic legs now.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Be curious to see if the oxidizer and ultra violet light (or is it high intensity light?) will take it out?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb

GaryM

Name
Gary MacKay
I see it from the crappy chinese furniture and bed frame rollers. I gave up a long time ago trying to remove it. I have made a point for years to keep my tabs under their furniture legs because it doesn't have to get wet to stain. Chinese wood furniture same thing, doesnt have to get wet. A guy could make a lot of money bottling a cure for these stains!

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
I see it from the crappy chinese furniture and bed frame rollers. I gave up a long time ago trying to remove it. I have made a point for years to keep my tabs under their furniture legs because it doesn't have to get wet to stain. Chinese wood furniture same thing, doesnt have to get wet. A guy could make a lot of money bottling a cure for these stains!

We tested about 10 different spotting agents on some stains left by Chinese furniture legs on brand new off-white carpet.

Found a spotter that removed them.

It is on our Dynachem Spotting chart for customers.

Larry

Last edited:

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I have a hotel that ruined every piece of carpet in every room by placing red plastic trash cans by the vanity /sink. If you move the trash can you see a red oval shape on the carpet in dang near ev room. Tried everything coudnt do much. I would say now it would be time to consider a bonded insert because removing that stuff more than likely wont happen, maybe when the carpet was still wet but not now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom