Plastic feet on sofa left stain.

MisterClean

Name
James
I've seen the type Dave mentions probably a dozen times, cylindrical casters on bed frames. Stain is almost a reddish pink...never got them out.

I've found a solution.

I came here after googling exactly this problem. I'm in the process of moving out of our apartment, and I noticed that the casters on our bed frame left a ton of these reddish pink marks all over our berber carpet. I too tried a number of things to get rid of the stains. I tried three or four commercial stain cleaning products without any luck. We had our carpet professionally cleaned, removing all the other stains in the apartment but these pink stains remained unchanged. I did have some luck when I tried making a paste with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide and massaging that into the carpet. I would then clean the area with water and reapply. This lightened the stain to some degree but it was still very noticeable. I tried using a 50/50 mix of water and white vinegar, again with very limited success. I tried checking the website Larry Cobb mentioned but I had no idea to had to find the product he was referring too. I was about to e-mail the company to find out more expecting to pay even more to try out another product on a half dozen small pink stains. I was coming the conclusion I'd be stuck with these stains and was worried I'd end up having to pay to have the carpet replaced.

Then out of complete desperation I tried something mentioned several other times for stain removal. I soaked the area with a mixture 2/3 vinegar with 1/3 water. I took a few sheets of paper towel and placed them over the stain. I then used an iron at a medium heat setting. I applied the iron for several seconds at a time, making sure not to leave it in place long enough to burn the paper towels or more importantly the carpet. I would do this until the mixture had more or less all been absorbed into the paper towel. SUCCESS!!! The results were apparent immediately. Each stain required around 5 or 6 rounds of this technique, but the results is a completely stain free carpet. The pink/reddish stain is completely gone! It did make the room smell like vinegar for a little while, but it was worth it for this result.

If anyone else is looking for a solution to these horrible bed roller stains this was not only incredibly cheap but also better than any of the products we purchased. I picked up a gallon jug of the vinegar at the grocery store for around $2, the store brand is fine. The only other cost would be an iron (if you don't have one) and paper towels. A towel might work just as well, I'm not sure. FWIW I've always used vinegar to help with cleaning, it's especially good at cleaning shower heads if you have hard water and mineral deposits. Put some in a spray bottle and try it out around the house or to give your shower a daily mist. It's versatile, effective, cheap, safe and natural.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Mister,

What was the fiber ID of your Berber?
Unless it was an olefin, I certainly hope you thoroughly rinsed the peroxide concoction before you switched to vinegar. Sure way to bleach the carpet dye on a nylon, if not.

Reactions: GCCLee

Mike Draper

I'm willing to bet the steam activated the baking soda / peroxide combo and that's what pulled the stain. I've pulled so extremely hard stain this way as well.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
We see it here in fla quite often actually..it's very humid here most of the year..

It's perm from my opinion. I've tried everything on it.

I see it on plastic furn legs and beds
Dave
Same here. We been tabbing plastic forever. We have even seen the black wheels from desk chairs leave permanent marks. I have never tried Larry's solution.

Gene

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Any permanent stain on a nylon that nothing will budge, we strip and dye. Create a color loss - then come back in with liquid dyes to fix the issue. Set with acid and steam - permanent fix without having to patch the carpet.

Lars

Name
Lars
I have also seen this many times as we'll. as furniture gets made cheaper and cheaper so do the dyes and plastic components used on them. Have to tab everything now....

Name
Nate W.
Any permanent stain on a nylon that nothing will budge, we strip and dye. Create a color loss - then come back in with liquid dyes to fix the issue. Set with acid and steam - permanent fix without having to patch the carpet.

As long as you don't burn the fiber while stripping it... You seem to know what your doing, but some Newbies might get the wrong impression... My mom has the patience for spot dyeing, I do not.... :redface:

MisterClean

Name
James
Mister,

What was the fiber ID of your Berber?
Unless it was an olefin, I certainly hope you thoroughly rinsed the peroxide concoction before you switched to vinegar. Sure way to bleach the carpet dye on a nylon, if not.

If I had bleached my carpet I'd probably be in another section of the forum desperately looking for a way to unbleach it! :lol: I have absolutely no idea what my fiber ID is, but I do know it's been roughly a month since I first performed this technique on the carpet and that the carpet looks great so it seems it's not a nylon carpet or I somehow otherwise dodged the bullet. One tip I've learned from cleaning in the house, always test in an inconspicuous spot before cleaning anything. That prevents accidents like this.

I'm willing to bet the steam activated the baking soda / peroxide combo and that's what pulled the stain. I've pulled so extremely hard stain this way as well.

I thought this was a slight possibility as well and that's why I mentioned it. However just yesterday I moved a night stand and found one last one of these stains hiding. I used the same simple mix of 2/3 vinegar with 1/3 water and the iron with no peroxide and baking soda at all. Stain came out easily.

Last edited:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
. . .
I thought this was a slight possibility as well and that's why I mentioned it. However just yesterday I moved a night stand and found one last one of these [reddish pink marks] stains hiding. I used the same simple mix of 2/3 vinegar with 1/3 water and the iron with no peroxide and baking soda at all. Stain came out easily.

The acetic acid in Vinegar is a weak reducing agent, and the heat would enhance the effect.

If it works, then I would surmise that a powder reducing agent would work on more noticeable stains.

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index...t&search_in_description=1&keyword=fiber+brite

The original product that worked on the Chinese furniture brown stains was our Vandalism Remover ( a blend of strong solvents).

So now it looks like two totally different stains removed by different spotting processes.

Larry

Last edited:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
The acetic acid in Vinegar is a weak reducing agent, and the heat would enhance the effect.

If it works, then I would surmise that a powder reducing agent would work on more noticeable stains.

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index...t&search_in_description=1&keyword=fiber+brite

The original product that worked on the Chinese furniture brown stains was our Vandalism Remover ( a blend of strong solvents).

So now it looks like two totally different stains removed by different spotting processes.

Larry

That was flippin awesome Tex : )

Post more like that please

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom