powermatic heater coil

Jim

How many times have you had to replace the heater coil because of it rusting from the outside in?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Jim, I've never had the coil out of my burner.
But I thought they were copper????

I think RW had to replace something on his burner once.
If I recall right, it was from water splashing out of the water box while driving and running down on the burner

..L.T.A.

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
I had to replace my coil 500 hours into the machine. Turns out I didn't cool it down enough at the end of the day is what I was told either that or it was a bad coil. They put a coil in from an old Mastermatic that only had a few hours on it. Still going strong.

Jim

steel coil. not necessary water dripping down, but condensation build-up over time near insulation.

Scott

Jim said:
How many times have you had to replace the heater coil because of it rusting from the outside in?

Once on a 4,000+ hour machine. It was copper and replaced it with copper. I had a buddy of mine look into building a stainless coil but it just wasn't worth it for that machine.

Scott

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Doug D said:
I had to replace my coil 500 hours into the machine. Turns out I didn't cool it down enough at the end of the day is what I was told either that or it was a bad coil. They put a coil in from an old Mastermatic that only had a few hours on it. Still going strong.

Doug, we cool down on every job, and cool down completely at the end of the day.

We plug in a naked QD into the sol line.
It's a great time to refill sprayers, rinse off the wand and/or fill the emulsion tank.

Since we've started bleeding hot water off, and flush rinse the sol line at start up til we've have heat, we have little to no fouled jets either

..L.T.A.

John Watson

One of the only things almost that we didn't replace on the 2 powermatics we had was the burner coil, we had a spare, but never used it while I was there.

I learned early in life about not cooling things down properly. I warped a few heads on my Ford V-8 flatties by running straight stacks with out flappers. Had a 72 Caddy Eldy with a 425HP 500 Cube that some how collapsed the inner wall of a dual walled exhaust pipe between the crossover and the muffler. Talk about fun to find this problem.

We always cooled the Steam Way systems down unless the damned things shut off in the middle of the job like they had a habit of doing. I even had Henry K's home phone number. (Good seeing him at the Steam Way out side demo at Connections 2 years ago)

We were sure we would freeze and split it running in 20 below weather and wanted to be prepared. We never did in my tenior with those machines which was 80-81-82-83 and 84.

We had propane catalytic heaters set at 40 degrees and 12 volt fans blowing the warm air to all areas of the van.

Evan with all the protection it's funny that we would still freeze quick connects and the 3/8s solution hose and not our 1/4 inch lines and QD for our Prochem or Hydra Master units. We just carried 2 sets of solution lines and stored on top of machine to keep thawed out.

R

R W

Twice in 2300 hours. Once was on Steamways dime, once on mine. I think it was condensation in the insulation. (the bottom of the coil). It was near a weld on both occations. I know locals that have got 5-10,000 hours on a coil. Maybe it was the .....Procyon????

RW

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom