Prochem 405

J

JS41035

I also agree that its probably fuel related. Even if you hear the pump running, it may not be pumping. You mentioned it sat for awhile. There may be some debris that could be breaking free and affecting your performance. I'd check both and confirm. When ethanol fuel sits for awhile, it develops condensation and water develops in the fuel. That may cause some of the metal components to rust.

Second, I would completely rebuild your chemical pump (diaphragm, check valves, everything!) and replace all low pressure lines from the jug, to the pump. Sometimes a pinhole may cause the variations. Also, theres a screen and a check valve in a manifold just behind the front panel on the left side. Pull those out, clean, inspect, and replace the check valve.

Also, how's your chemical flow indicator? Is it foggy? Could it be cracked anywhere? That may affect as well? It doesn't sound like it from your description, but you better check it anyway.

Sometimes, you have to replace the whole system to solve the problem. Its not very expensive, and will give you a good baseline and reduce your frustration!

Fantastic advice. You can rebuild everything for a couple hundred. (New hose ,check valves , flow meter chem pump) and just be done with it.

J

JS41035

Does it continue running rough even if you hold the override switch to the left?

J

JS41035

If it does it is fuel or ignition. The over ride should bypass the oil and engine temp kill switchs. The high temp kill switch on the back of the ex heat exchanger is worthless and should be removed

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Does it continue running rough even if you hold the override switch to the left?

It actually never shuts down it sputters like its fuel starved opening the choke allows gas to poor strait to engine and runs fine. It could be the fuel pump. I just replaced one pre maturely so I will through that one on and test.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Started machine with new fuel pump seems like it running better will know tomorrow after full day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Name
La Canada Carpet Cleaning
Carb has crap in the jets I bet, its fuel related. I have 6300 hours on my 405 carb, never touched it. Its not the fuel pump, they work or don't. I have the same fuel pump too. Good luck

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
In the video it sputters then runs fine when I pull the choke out out the choke back in it sputters.

Sam....one more thing to check. Look for vacuum leaks around the engine. If you pulled or popped a vacuum engine hose off, it will have those same symtoms. If it runs with the choke full out, it just might be a loose or broken vac line, especially around the carb. Had that on the Genny one day......had a backfire, it popped a vacuum cap off the intake manifold, and would not run without choke full out.

Just an idea to check.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Started machine with new fuel pump seems like it running better will know tomorrow after full day.

If it ran better with the new fuel pump, even for an hour or so, it's the fuel pump.

The fuel pump ALSO has a filter, on its inlet side. If it is picking up trash from the bottom of the truck's tank, that filter is the first line of defense.

Easy to check.

The hardest glitch to troubleshoot is when multiple things go wrong at once.

Reactions: SamIam

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Take off the air filter and look inside the carburetor. Stop guessing and look at whats really going on. What's it doing. Gas coming intermittent or still flowing. Is the air filter clean.

Gene

Reactions: SamIam

SamIam

Name
sam miller
The three way was leaking so the chemical flow was sporadic tightened it up and it works again.

My tech in my 2nd truck did 2 rentals yesterday got to 3rd job couldn't get it to start

Checked everything drained machine turned machine around checked radiator fluid checked my wire by pass of broken float.

Drove 35 miles to tech to check thought it might be a low pressure switch.

Nope the 175 hit the brass connection on the water softener no water in the machine got the float fixed they had to reset 1 job.

If was there I would have spotted that I just thought that was to simple.

My tech said he's seen guys roll in with full dump tanks! My machine wont start.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Why are chemical pumps so hard to open??? You need a vise a mallet a breaker bar or 2 foot wrench. Then lean on it with all your weight.

I'm pretty sure I it's the diaphragm causing my issues with chemical flow replacing check valves to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Its a stainless steel one had a guy from church with a air compressor and a hammer jack used a adjustable on the ground stepped on it and like the thing they use to take tires off he just hit it once came right apart.

Rebuilt it put back together and it works like new. Primes without drawing from the vacuum and adjusts up to 10 flow on the meter again.

Also the other machine hasn't had a problem since that first time in the morning only no sputtering for almost a week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Name
La Canada Carpet Cleaning
Has to be hot outside to act up I bet, run a blower while working. Really helps keep the carb cool. I am sure its weather related

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom