PTO noise

steampro

Name
Ryan
Is there supposed to be noise coming from the PTO? A couple of people have told me there should be no noise at all from the pto, but its actually the loudest point on my truck! A loud high pitched sound. Is this normal or not?

Thanks!

steampro

Name
Ryan
Its an 02. I saw your "smoked pto" video and it sounds like yours was pretty loud too, under the driver's side near the pto. If I have the throttle at 1600 without the pto going, all you hear is the engine. At 1600 with the pto going, theres a loud high pitched sound coming from the pto/transmission area. I just didnt know if they all sound like that or if its a sign of trouble.

Name
George Valliant
No doubt about it mine is loud! Those gears are whining big time.

After taking it apart I discovered the taper bearings were completely fried and the main gear was sloppy as a result. If the clutches didn't smoke, it was only a matter of time before PTO imploded and spit metal into the transmission.

I've decided to replace my Muncie with a chelsea even though it will take 2 weeks longer for the part to arrive. I learned from the manufacturer that only 30 Muncie's were ever installed before they switched to Chelsea. The Muncie uses taper bearings and the Chelsea uses needle bearings. Also, there are backlash issue's with the Muncie install.

So, how many hours do you have on your pto? Is it Muncie (blue) or Chelsea (red)?

Name
George Valliant
It sounds like gear whine to me.

The PTO is gear driven off the tranny. So, you add the hours to the mileage on the odometer and it equals a heck of a lot of usage.

If you catch it early you should be able to rebuild it for less than $500. If you wait too long there's a possibility that the gears and case are damaged requiring a whole new pto.

Name
George Valliant
The whine can be cuased by the bearings wearing out allowing the gears to mesh wrong.

I'd pull that bitch off and re-build or replace asap!!

The metal shavings / iron wearing off the bearings go straight through the transmission resulting in pre-mature transmission failure........................................................

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
number 2 whines little like that but yours sound really high pitched i would go to a pto shop and get the to give it a one over. it shouldnt take them to long to get that done.

Name
George Valliant
Yes, I order a new one yesterday.

BlueLine = $2950

Parker Store = $1600

Local Chelsea Dealer = $1100

I went with the local Chelsea dealer. It should arrive within a week.

Name
George Valliant
Yup!

New lines, gaskets and stud kit. Hoping I don't need the stud kit :-)

Just for kicks I'll snap a pic of the new PTO when it arrives.

steampro

Name
Ryan
Wow, I thought I read around here somewhere that these things were like $500, maybe it was something else. When you get you new one up and going can you post a quick video so I can compare the sound of mine to a new one?

Name
George Valliant
The rebuild kit is $300'ish and labor to install about $150. That's if you remove the pto from the truck yourself.

If the case or any gears are damaged (as in my case) it makes better sense to purchase an entire new pto.

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
Carpet Cleaning Fool said:
Yup!

New lines, gaskets and stud kit. Hoping I don't need the stud kit :-)

Just for kicks I'll snap a pic of the new PTO when it arrives.

Be very careful not too put the studs in to far. I had a shop do mine that specializes in PTO's & drive shafts, the mechanic put the studs in to far and the trans went out the next day. The studs being put in to far, pressed on a drum in the trans and put a side load on the bearing. Lucky for me, he was a nice guy and had my trans re-built for me- $3,400. This was on a 2000-777.

Name
BradFenstermaker
Ryan my 99 with 3900hrs sounds like yours, have been thinking about the rebuild kit. Probably not too bad of a job except for pulling it off the tranny.

George made it sound like alot of fun, probably a good long weekend job.

Check out this link of a pdf for chelsea 270 go to page 4 or parker.com search chelsea270

http://www.parker.com/docs/Literature/C ... -M1_US.pdf

steampro

Name
Ryan
Yeah I swear mine is still getting louder, and its got 5500 hours on it so Im thinking I should do it just to be safe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom