Quality Rug Pad

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
We have been selling Dura Hold for years. But they must have changed the formula for the rubber/ latex a while ago, it dries out much faster than it should.

Does anyone have a line on very good pad I would be proud to sell.

Reactions: scrrocks

Ron K

Heated floors have shown a shortness in it's longevity, but otherwise it's the best out there for a product with some dimensional stability.
Oriental Weavers had a promising product but only saw the sales rep with it once then nothing.

Reactions: scrrocks

Ron K

We experimented with that pad and found that it doesn't hold up too well in the wash. And it creases easily when rolling it.
Was it Dark Brown with a pretty aggressive top??
How did the rubber stand up?
Would love to buy a 4X6 piece from you if you still have it.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Was it Dark Brown with a pretty aggressive top??
How did the rubber stand up?
Would love to buy a 4X6 piece from you if you still have it.

Yep, the top is dark brown and very rough. The only piece we have is about a 4 x 6 size and we want to hold onto it for now. More testing.

They also gave us a thinner pad similar to the omni pad made by NO-MUV to try out. Not impressed with that either.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I've talke with the NoMuv folks about the rubber degradation on the DuraHold. The expanded vinyl they used to use was perfect, but they swithced to "natural rubber" for marketing purposes. Sales went up, so it works for that purpose, but like ALL rubber, doesn't last as long. Still, they guarantee the pad for ten years, no one else does that.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Bryan it does not hold up at all. As a matter of fact. I did a big repair and brought the rug back . Placed it on the durahold. I went to put air under the rug to move it the cushion was sliding all over on this 5 year old durahold. I use anther product but it is on the east coast and did a side by side comparison and there was a big differ.

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
Actually what we sell is NoMuv- Dura Hold (that's there rubberized version). But like I said it isn't what it used to be.
Harry, we're in Michigan in the Metro Detroit market.
I would like to get a hold of some pad with the expanded vinyl and try it out. I can tell you "No Muv/ Dura hold" probably doesn't last more than a year or two before drying out and losing it's tackiness. It might be good marketing to use natural rubber, but if it doesn't work it needs to be changed. I know companies get away with giving 10 year guarantee, because clients seldom lift their pad up even if they clean their rugs more than every ten years.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Does anyone have a line on very good pad I would be proud to sell.

The biggest issue I see(all the time) with any petroleum based product(latex/rubber) used for a rug mat is they degrade/deteriorate over time.

As they(rubber mats) degrade, because of them being petroleum based they actually give off a minute gas. The gas then gets absorbed into the polyurethane covering the wood floor. Soo, basically client uses sticky/rubber mats and ends up with the pattern of mat (until resanded) permanently on their floor.

We ONLY recommend felt mats.

Reactions: Mikey P

Ron K

The biggest issue I see(all the time) with any petroleum based product(latex/rubber) used for a rug mat is they degrade/deteriorate over time.

As they(rubber mats) degrade, because of them being petroleum based they actually give off a minute gas. The gas then gets absorbed into the polyurethane covering the wood floor. Soo, basically client uses sticky/rubber mats and ends up with the pattern of mat (until resanded) permanently on their floor.

We ONLY recommend felt mats.

Don't know if what we see is something different but we see some mesh pads actually etching floors either wood or stone. Some of the products sold at the big box stores have an oilish substance. If you look at the packaging you can actually see an oily residue on the clear bag/package. Heard some place it,the lubricant, is used so the mesh won't stick to rollers and cutters during manufacturing.

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
We stay away from the mesh pads, and we have tried to only sell our clients what we feel are the best. So it has been NoMuv for a rug on carpet and Dura Hold for a rug on hard surfaces. Also, we don't want to carry a lot of different pads, especially what they can purchase at the box stores.
My view is this and this is how I explain it to our clients;
Pads should prevent slipping. so I worry about felt. I am also concerned about a pad leaving residue on wood or stone.
Pads should offer cushion, happy feet for us older folks. and cushioning will prolong the life of the rugs.

ps, the NoMuv works well for a rug on carpet, it can help some thin rugs lay flat and not walk on carpeted floors. And on rare occasions for very thin needle points and Dhurrie rugs we will put the thin double sided sticky pad between the NoMuv and the rug which seems to help on the most stubborn rugs.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Don't know if what we see is something different but we see some mesh pads actually etching floors either wood or stone. Some of the products sold at the big box stores have an oilish substance. If you look at the packaging you can actually see an oily residue on the clear bag/package.

I'd assume it's similar, Ron. Not only an oil residue, but the actual product is made from oil(rubber, latex, etc.) sitting under a rug on top of polyurethane.

The sticky white checker board style of mat is the worst. You put it under a rug next to a sliding glass door that gets sunshine(heating and cooling daily)... Your screwed in about six months! People also like to use rugs with latex(wont slip) next to doors, also very bad for wood floors.

Bad for carpet also, the floors need to breath, ever seen white carpet under a rubber mat next to a glass door, it's yellow.

This is the type of advice I try to give every client, you think some 22 yr old working for beer money knows this shat? Every client with wood, as she/he is getting invoice ask them what they are using to clean their floors. Pick a product and recommend it. I recommend Bona for wood to clients, it's just about impossible for them to screw it up. Give them advice about mats and your a guru!

Nice rug.... Lol! Basically that STUPID rug just cost them thousands, most end up having to have all wood redone or it wont match. What I see isn't a residue, but the polyurethane actually damaged permanently.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The residue in the blog post will clean off easily using rubbing alchohol. Unless the floor has a wax finish the floor will be fine.

Some of the cheap non-skid grid is just string with an adhesive spray coating. Nasty stuff that can damage any kind of floor.

For a non-skid grid to offer customers, I recommend Wundergrip. Expanded vinyl, no issues. Nice people too. http://www.wundergrip.com/hardsurface.htm

Durahold rubber lasts about 7 years in the northwest. If a customer brings one in for cleaning and the rubber is shot we cut them a new one. We replaced 8 pads and NoMuv gave us a roll of pad to compensate. Still, wish they'd go back to vinyl...

rhyde

Name
rhyde
I have had several cases of durahold sticking to the floor and the 5-7 year need to replace it.
Although better they have periodic consistency as well as intermittent supply issues.
Oriental weavers makes a two really good pads "all-in-one" like omni but better and "lux hold" like durahold
both are cheaper I was going to drop durahold but the supplier cut the plug on carrying the pad in my area.

Ron K

Just another piece of advise for you regarding pad. There are some people who write the name of customer or size or both on the purple side of the pad. That being said I've seen that info transferred onto the wood floor with uncorrectable damage.

Ron K

Theres an all wool felt pad I'll dig up the web-site when I get back.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Ron it is like a synthetic felt. No gripper to the floor. You know they had wool and jute cushion . Lol People did not like the smell. We called it hair and jute cushion. So then they came out with synthetic. Hypoallergenic. Now green is in so they have a wool cushion. What next?. I use a product from a company called Fishman Flooring Solutions. It is called Anchor Grip. Side by side comparison the shit holds to the floor years later.

Ron K

Ron it is like a synthetic felt. No gripper to the floor. You know they had wool and jute cushion . Lol People did not like the smell. We called it hair and jute cushion. So then they came out with synthetic. Hypoallergenic. Now green is in so they have a wool cushion. What next?. I use a product from a company called Fishman Flooring Solutions. It is called Anchor Grip. Side by side comparison the shit holds to the floor years later.

www.earthweave.com

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom