Question

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I got this old ugly floor to do something with...

Can this be polished up to a nice shiny state? It has bad scratches in it from 35+ years of use. So honing is inevitable....if this is even doable with this crap.

What should I tell the owner?

View attachment 3512
View attachment 3513

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Not an expert on this will put it mildly.

However, it looks like Terrazo which is made of concrete and stones (different ones) and I would guess that they polish it to get the look. Though when you look on the under side it looks very different. Not sure if it is for it to adhere when installing or not. Could be that the top finish may be achieved in a different method than polishing.

I would think honing may work. Lets see what the people who are actually in the know say.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zee
Name
Ron lippold
Rb from stone pro can get you what you need, I just placed my order yesterday, that floor should come out great.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
So Ron, you think the different stones that are mixed in, will polish evenly?

I have done travertine, limestone, marbles etc but never had this hodgepodge to deal with..

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
See if there is any old finish on the floor. A top coat finish, especially one that is old and has yellow, can be a real to get off.

The Terrazzo will polish very nicely if there is no finish or when the finish is removed. Heaviest scratches may need to be removed with resin bonded diamond discs but much of the work can be done with Spinergy pads. The polishing part will not be too difficult.

Name
Robert Falzone
My next blog post on Mikey's Board will be all about how to polish concrete and terrazzo using the Spinergy System and StonePro Polish Pro Liquid Crystalzier. I have a lot of pictures and teaching examples on how to do this. It's still in the profreading stage. I need to hire a secretary so I can get the blogs out faster. Interlink rocks!

ted mcfadden

Supportive Member
Name
Ted McFadden
This needs to be diamond honed and refinished. It's and old agglomerate marble from Italy. It will polish up nicely. I would use MB-22 polishing compound, it does really well with this stuff.

Beat me to the MB22 suggestion.

I might offer another suggestion: This stone can wear unevenly using flexible abrasives. Watch out for the Diamond impregnated pads here. Using diamond pads from 220-1800 is highly recommended.

Name
cameron demille
So is it Terrazzo or a Marble?

I see it it some of the old homes here too

both, kind of. It's an agglomerate marble. Terrazzo is portland cement with marble chips. It can also be made with epoxy. This is similar. The major difference is the size of the marble pieces. Technically in this case, i would consider the agglomerate to be the same as Terrazzo. Refinish it like marble and polish with a marble compound. MB-22 is great for this, it was actually made for terrazzo/marble.

Reactions: Zee and Mikey P

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I'll be working on this floor in the next couple of weeks when I have some time.. I will take some before and after pictures. Ig has pretty bad lippage...which makes this a bit more work.. to hone it down.

Name
cameron demille
I'll be working on this floor in the next couple of weeks when I have some time.. I will take some before and after pictures. Ig has pretty bad lippage...which makes this a bit more work.. to hone it down.

I would use thin resin diamonds with foam risers. The risers will flex and allow you to get in the low areas of the picture framing. When you polish, it should blend in

These are the Ultraflex

http://www.easystonecare.com/Marble-Refinishing-Diamonds-p/uf.htm

These are the risers

http://www.easystonecare.com/Diamond-Riser-Pads-p/riser-3.htm

Here is a before and after of a floor with bad lippage. You can see the reflection jump, but it has a consistent polish.

lmb0sEB.jpg

27L0ROz.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom