RECESSION IN 08 SAYS ECONOMIST

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Having never been thru a recession what are your thoughts for surviving the slowdown for your business?

DevilDog

Save more.

A recession could be on the horizon....the oil issue and the slumping housing market has to hit home hard for most everyone at some time.

You'll get these absolute IDIOTS who say a recession does not hurt their business. LOL. Whatever. That is a myth told by people that is not true.

It will hurt those the most that don't hustle, don't have a good marketing plan in place, and don't have enough money saved up.

ON the other hand...the next six months is going to be a great time to buy some homes.

DevilDog

Name
steve snail
I think the definition of a recession is two consecutive quarters of negative gnp. Should not be a big deal.

Like Jimmy, living here in the heartland, commodity prices (corn, beans) are through the roof which bode well for trickle down here. John Deere Co, and the seed company stocks are up a lot also. Last but not least, Warren Buffett has created almost unbelievable wealth in our neck of the woods which should also trickle down for years and years to come.

A lot of people will think twice before plunking down a few grand for new carpets. Call Steve, "he can make them last another year or two". Yeah baby, thats the ticket! Add the protector and they just might look good for 3 or 4 more.

There is good news to be had in everyones community if you look. Just don't expect to see it in the "news" paper, as only bad news sell papers.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
The only slowdown I've been through is during the winter. Always busy from April til Christmas. Although the gas prices ain't helping.

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
Steve hit the nail on the head. A friend of mine always says "they have to find a way to sell another Buick". I'm an optimist by nature but I'm pretty cynical about "news" organizations of any stripe.

As for a recession - work harder than hell, grin and bear it - what else are you going to do?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
We've been experiencing a one state recession for some time in MI. A carpet cleaning company that offers good value to it's customers can actually do quite well in such a belt-tightening environment, as folks will put off buying new carpets and try to get a few more years with what they have by cleaning and maintenance. My company has survived and grown through three recessions. But if it does spread to the rest of the country, MI could go into a depression. Then all bets would be off for me. Certainly it would be prudent to put money aside and don't overextend yourself financially.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Some say we have already been in a declining economy since 2000.

Being optimistic is not always being realistic.

90% of worry is unfounded but its always good to be prepared and think outside of the box.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Jimmy Ladwig! said:
90% of worry is unfounded....

I agree, but things are unsettling when gas is 3 bukz a gal, our country at war, a congress with it's head up it's azz and an idiot in the White House

..L.T.A.

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Plan to continue business as usual...

As January approaches,the yearly old system overhauls go into effect...

Seriously look at all aspects.Tweak stuff,remove inefficient stuff.etc...

Then implement and drive on...

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
In 1982 i had grown men calling me crying for jus a few hours work to feed their familys......

Name
Jesse
It all evens out for me. Unless the wheel stops completely there's money to be made. It usually doesn't rain everywhere, if you can weather the storm you'll be fine. I'm excited to see how many slightly used vans and good pieces of equipment I'll find for 10% on the dollar.

Name
steve snail
Last but not least. We have an election year coming up.

No such thing as a recession in an election year, period!

Driguy

Reguardless of any Economical downturn.

Carpets Still get dirty
Buildings still catch fire
Communities still get flooded
Mold grows on everything.

I take everything i see on the news with a grain of salt.

RandyHilburn

With or without a Recession:
1. Have a plan and work your plan
2. Analyze and track your results - adjust your plan when necessary
3. Be aware of the competitive environment in your market
4. Diversify and add services your customers want
5. Market to your customers that have money
6. Take a bath
6. Wear clean clothes
7. Go to bed early
8. Get up early
9. Work Hard
10. Pray

Name
steve snail
Consider the source!

When little Jimmy Ladwig was in junior high school and became a proud member of FFA, (Future Farmers of America) for you city slickers, he learned three things. Always always wear your blue corduroy jacket w/patches proudly even when the other kids laugh. How to castrate piglets with his teeth. And never never never let on how good the money can be in farming, money for nothing!

Marty you have been warned!

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
A recession means 2 things to me

1. Carpet Sales will be down for the retailers and mills

2. Carpet Cleaning will be busier because people will want to extend the life of their carpets instead of replacing them.

it is the same thought as carpenters and electricians when new builds slow down people do more remodeling and fixing

Rex Tyus

No matter what I have been involved in, I have always had the attitude that it anyone makes it it will be me. Recession or not.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom